Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Chevy Advance Scout Truck - African Airstream Caravan

20 hours ago, gasser59 said:

I just found out yesterday the first Scout Truck I built and awarded to Dale is going to be moved to the Airstream plant's new museum once it opens later this year. I'm thrilled to have a build in a museum. Once this one is completed, I'll donate it too along with a build book showing the progress and reference pictures I had available.

Motivation!    I mean, MOTIVATION!!

Thanks Tom. I'll bet its been exciting in Jackson Center. I hope to have this second build there too once its done.

I'm quite certain I have the window frames construction worked out and have started to on the first one. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Edited by gasser59

A bit of progress and a few photos to share. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out a way to do the aluminum window frames that would look convincing and would satisfy me. Here's what I finally came up with. I put my Dremel cut-off wheel in my bench drill press and set it almost to the bed so I could cut a slot in the aluminum square tubing for the acetate window. Once a whole strip of that was done, I would cut out 45 degree notches in the frame without cutting all the way through for the corners. There are six of these windows so this will take some time. I'll post more progress pictures as I go.

WindowFrame1.JPG

WindowFrame2.JPG

On 8/19/2019 at 6:45 PM, misterNNL said:

I am watching that new Airstream factory/office/museum building being built while sitting on my deck. I look forward to attending their open house when it happens and seeing your model on display there.

Wow! Airstream Museum and the original NNL site on the same block!  A tourist thing for sure! ?

I wanted to put one of those cool historical markers in the exact spot where the NNL was founded but since we have remodeled our home since then that would put the marker in the middle of our living room so my loving and normally very understanding wife gave me "the look" so I'm thinking that's not gonna happen.

Edited by misterNNL
Misspelled work
  • Haha 1

Well that didn't go as planned. The window frames are way to wide. I went ahead and used the same set up on the drill press by cutting the other side of the aluminum square tubing to make a small aluminum angle. Worked and looks so much better. Pics tomorrow.

That didn't quite go as planned either. I was putting the last aluminum side on the clear piece of acetate and ended up getting glue all over the glass. I was so frustrated, I had to walk away. This method is still the way to do the windows just need a different glue from my arsenal, one that's not so runny.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:15 AM, gasser59 said:

A bit of progress and a few photos to share. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out a way to do the aluminum window frames that would look convincing and would satisfy me. Here's what I finally came up with. I put my Dremel cut-off wheel in my bench drill press and set it almost to the bed so I could cut a slot in the aluminum square tubing for the acetate window. Once a whole strip of that was done, I would cut out 45 degree notches in the frame without cutting all the way through for the corners. There are six of these windows so this will take some time. I'll post more progress pictures as I go.

WindowFrame1.JPG

WindowFrame2.JPG

Most impressive and unique method of solving a unique problem. I would waste a hundred feet of aluminum trying to get enough matching Windows to do w whole trailer.

Here's the pic of the second method with the glue on the glass. For the next go around, I will use an adhesive product I got from Art Laski called Liquid Glass. I'm hoping to reuse the aluminum strips from this window if I can get the Zap-A-Gap off.

WindowGlue.JPG

Edited by gasser59

• 2 years later...

Well, it appears that I can't find the thread for the original Scout Truck that I built for Dale so I'll post this here. Mind you, this isn't the same truck that appears in this thread, it was a prototype, so to speak. Dale donated this truck to the Airstream Factory Museum in Jackson Center, Ohio and it is now on display. I'm deeply honored and thoroughly humbled.

ScoutTruckInMuseum.jpg

• Like 1

Your model will surely be seen and appreciated by a lot of Air streamers this week as there is a huge rally being held at the new factory this week. There are rows and rows of Airstream trailers a d their tow vehicles everywhere. Big time in small town!

Just now, misterNNL said:

Your model will surely be seen and appreciated by a lot of Air streamers this week as there is a huge rally being held at the new factory this week. There are rows and rows of Airstream trailers and their tow vehicles everywhere. Big time in small town!