Model Cars Magazine Forum

I know of and have seen numerous posts on this subject, "Decals". I am planning to do my own decal generation, either using inkjet or laser decal transfer paper..haven't decided yet, I have all the Microscale products to finish with.

Question 1: Would you guys recommend another product for the decals, and second..the biggy...apply the decals after the clear coat is applied or prior to?

I am open to all suggestions..this would be the place for the correct answer. Thank you to all as always..and Happy 4th to all.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

I've only used ink jet printers, with the ink jet I find it is definaetly worth while letting the ink dry for at least a couple hours if not over night. I have applied the clear coat almost immediately after printing but have had much less trouble with smearing if I leave a good amount of drying time, red seems to be particularly prone to running.

I've used Micromark, Testors and Bare Metal Foils decal paper. The Testors is very thin, which makes it good for some applications, their white decal paper doesn't cover that well though if you put it over a dark color you need to double it or paint a white area where the decal will go.

Micromark and BMF paper is thicker so the white works better than the Testors, it is also easier to apply but you will probably want to use some decal setting solution if there is detail under the decal (rivets, panel lines etc). I am currently using Micromark and am happy with it, the BMF was fine too, but me LHS changed brands to Micromark.

I use the Testors decal clear coat since that is the only one I can find, it works fine with all 3 brands of paper I mentioned.

Dieseldoc, I've never used a laser printer for decals, I've heard you don't need a clear coat with laser printers, is that true?

I make a fair number of decals, enough that I would consider buying another printer, would you say that a Laser is worth the extra cost in regards to decals or more of a if you have access to one its a little better?

I was considering getting an ALPS until I saw that they are not going to support them with ribbons, parts etc anymore.

Thanks Guys..for your input.

I am leaning to using the BMF decal products. I agree on the ALPS printers, (they are consider one of the best for decal generation) trying to find a "new" one pretty much does not exist anymore. Using a laser printer would be the first option, then clear coating it prior to application.

I'll post my creations once I have them completed.

Kurt

I have used both black and white and color laser printers for my homemade decals; you do need to seal them. I've used the brush-on stuff by Microscale; though I have a new can of the Testors stuff to try.

Decals are tricky; you never really know for sure if a clearcoat will harm them. I had Future make a minor mess (mottled the color) of a couple of my color laser decals after they were sealed/applied to the model; I don't think I'd want to risk spraying a clearcoat over the decals after application. I'd clearcoat the model first anyway since you need to apply the decals over the smoothest/glossiest (polished maybe but not waxed) surface. I'm hoping the Testors sealer is glossy enough. I have some custom Alps decals done for a club group project that have an awesome glossy finish coat, no need at all for them to be cleared over. I need to ask the artist what he used to seal them. I know he double-printed the white areas, they are incredibly opaque. Unfortunately he is so swamped now that he won't take any more custom orders...

I am now usin the BMF paper, I'm not sure what it was, I was using the testors paper, clear came out fine but the white wouldnt print right, 3 different paper orders and multiple printers (mine, my uncles etc...) so I switched over and now have decals goin out left and right......... still buying testors tho, for the sealer haha