Model Cars Magazine Forum

A handful of brushes: Which ones do I keep?

I am returning to the hobby after a 25 year hiatus, and trying to build up my model 'box'.

Late last week, I was able to pick up a very large handful of used artist brushes for less than $1.

Most of these are round brushes, and vary in size from super fine to big round. Some are super stiff, and others are super soft. All brushes are high quality.

Which brushes do I want to keep, aside from the super fine ones for painting details?

I use almost all enamel paints, with the exception of a few craft acrylics.

Currently building cars, but want to build and weather at least one tank and one airplane in the near future.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I would suggest that if you put them all in a jar on the desk over a fairly short time you will find which will become your favourites and which ones you will dispose off. Not a definitve answer but I bought a "Hobby Pack" of ten brushes mainly for the finer brushes but have found a use for all of them at different times.

Yes, you will find uses for various ones. Even a stiffer brush may become a duster to get dirt out of corners of a model! I keep my building brushes separate from my weathering brushes. Even though they all started out as the same brushes, I clipped the end off the weathering ones so I can keep track.