Model Cars Magazine Forum

Baja Race Truck

Brent

This will be my first OTW here so be gentle :) . It is a project I started about two years ago but, well didn't really loose interest just had scratch builders block so I set it aside LOL.

Please excuse the first pictures quality as that was an old camera.

It might not be 100% accurate, but who cares. I love the freedom model building gives us. I started using the frame from the 1984 GMC kit but later decided to get rid of it , things just weren't going the way I wanted it to. The major reason for scraping the original frame was ground clearance. I had WAY to much. These trucks seem to squat quite low and the axle needed to pass the frame.

I'm still using the interior but wish I would not have now. Too late, to many things are designed around it.

The truck will be using a fair amount of parts from Nascar kits. Seats, engine , fuel cell so far. Shocks were made with various tubes of aluminum and brass....

Some pictures of the rear suspension in the up and down position. Everything is just pinned together for now. The challenge with this build is I want to make things permanent but can't as it will all need to be disassembled and painted first. Sooner or later I'm going to have to give in and get the airbrush out.

post-2112-1193663581_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193663759_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193663782_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193663849_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193663954_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193663993_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193664007_thumb.jpg

I found some tires at Modelhaus that suit this truck much better so will be using them. The are lower and wider. I was having a hard time finding rims wide enough . I went back to the parts box as grabbed two Nascar rims and sanded the backs down. A perfect fit. Added a bead lock rind and disk brake. Looks to fit the bill.

I've added a cab roll cage.... might add more to it yet and some rear frame bars. I need to get the cab tied into the rear suspension some how but can't. I'm having a tough time figuring out a way to do it where I can take it all apart for painting.

Here is where I am at now. So far the suspension is functional and the front tires steer as well.

post-2112-1193664625_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193664644_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193664657_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193664797_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193664861_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1193665012_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike.

Time seems to be at a premium these days, but I managed to get something accomplished this evening. I did a little work on the engine, modified some Nascar radiators and added some more roll cage to mount the rads with. The interior cage still comes out so I can paint everything properly......................

post-2112-1194149135_thumb.jpg

post-2112-1194149148_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent

LOL Thanks guys. I'm traveling ...again so wont be able to do anything this week :-( .

Hey, I need all of your help.

I'm not much for body mods and need help with a few ideas on how I'm going to flair the fenders on this thing, front and back.

Also I'm thinking about filling all the door lines in, give it more of a fiberglass look to it. Do you agree?

I'm a bit worried about the fenders. The truck should look pretty good when done "IF" I can pull off the fenders "OR" it could go all for........ and look horrible.

I've got to many hours into this thing to have it go all wrong in the end.

Edited by Brent

Thanks guys.....

Is it going to be a one mold look fender or is it some other style?

I was thinking about using the same out line the fender has now(the opening), just wider. I was thinking about cutting the arc out, widening the fender, then re using the arc. I'm not sure.

Looking good so far.

How far out side of the stock fenders are your tires going to sit?

I have used Jello cups before and they work very well. Being that you have picked a older body style the Jello cups would work great as the "OLDER" Chevy prerunners / class 8 trucks used a huge flair on the front and rear and with the Jello cups they fit this style of the trucks. Let me dig up some 1:1 pic's and I'll post them for you as well as my Jello cup fenders...

I know I have a old rear set already built and if I can find them I'll send them to you if you would liek them? Give me a couple days to dig around my model boxes to see if I can find them.

You have a great build going on keep up the great work !

Chase1

Thanks Chase.

I'm out of town right now working but from what I can remember I wont need a whole lot of flair. Having said that a wider flair than required might look nice. I could also pull the wheels out a bit if I had to.

I have no issues with building the flairs myself, thank you very much for the offer. I just need some ideas so if you can take some pictures I would be very grateful.

Here's some pic's of the models I have done using things like the Jello cups.

pick a product that fits your build ( look wise ). You will take the cup and use the bottom side of it as the ( top of the fender ) the roundness is what gives you the flair look and style for you build. You then line it up to your stock fenders trace the wheel well out on to your Cup and then cup it out. Mark out what you will need to cut away from your stock fenders then glue into place ad filler / putty to shape into your to your build then sand when ready. The rear can be done the same way but with less flair.

The Bonco was done this way. the back fenders are just the newer year molded in.

MMMVC-001F.jpg

The Coyne TT was done using this also , both front and rear.

10.jpg

The Ranger the same.

20.jpg

Chase 1

Hey Ron good to see you as well. Didn't get out much this year but it's running great. Built a high performance motor and mounted some new Terra tires on it and also added disc brakes. She is a dream to drive now. Also got a fiberglass street legal dune buggy I'm working on. fabbing my own frame, roll bars. Just like the models only 1:1 :-)

Chase....Dud WOW! Man just awesome! You are definitely familiar with these subjects, they look spot on. Now I have something to shoot for.

So it looks like you are using where the door seam was as a place to stop the flair. The front I guess all depends on what the model wants to make it look right.

On the backs, they are more subtle. SO, how are you getting a wide (up and down the length of the bed) yet not wide across the truck look. If you cut less from the Jello cup, doesn't that make it narrow.....OR are you sectioning the Jello cup and adding material between the cup to get width (front to back).

Phenomenal work, very impressive.

Edited by Brent

Thats cool Brent..I always liked the street legal style buggy, I always thought that would be cool to drive down the ocean side on a nice sunny day. Take some pics of it when you get the chance...I remember seeing your off road buggy a couple of years ago, those look fun to drive as well. Talk to you later..

Ron

I don't know how I missed this thread !!!GREAT work..Really happy you went with chevy skin on it....VERY NICE!!..

For the flares,also try lollipop molls...they come in many different shapes and styles,and usually there are at least four molds to a tray..Cheap too...Here are the pop molds i used on my chevy...

Before paint.

1229058.jpg

And after..

diopicfinal17.jpg