Model Cars Magazine Forum

LoneStar with Flames and Beall tanker

I've been working on the LoneStar for a month now I ordered a flame template from lazy modeler I used Tayma dark blue for the base and yellow flames with MOPAR b5 blue as the fade in color. This is my first attempt to,paint flames. I still need some more polishing before clear coating. I've also picked up super singles for the rear. Here are some progress pictures so far. Your comments are welcome.

b6fefdd03d44e1d1dad32563e1772ca3.jpg

e031207a1c7b91cdf4b7471aeef35ba8.jpg

The frame is just primer so far it will be the b5 blue

5853bd0743a3feea0f23efe68e3bc349.jpg

9dbf1c4c0440640903b534321bcfc880.jpg

Edited by Mopar - D

Thanks for the comments my job has just sent me out of town on business for the next 2 weeks so I will not have any progress until I get beck. I have the Revell Beall chrome tank trailer that I'm going with and have a set of super singles to match the LoneStar for it.

Ben. When they say you only have 1try to place the template it's very true. I ended up having to get a second set. The sides were tricky with the uneven surface by the doors.

Here the current eBay offering for the super singles he keeps a couple on going I also used the his front floatation tires on my Dodge Big Horn.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUBBER-BIG-RIG-REAR-WIDE-SINGLE-TIRES-1-25TH-SCALE-AGGRESSIVE-TREAD-/330979755359?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4d0fee455f

Here is the Lazy Modeler site for the template they are in Austrila with free shipping that took only 3 days to receive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flame-Painting-Masks-Moebius-Revell-International-Lonestar-Truck-/151028529392?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item232a0078f0

Thanks Dan for the links, I don't see a lot of trucks running super singles around here. I do like the look. What's your thoughts, do these look convincing? When a truck is set up to run super singles on the drive axles does it run a float tire on the front? Did you modify the kit wheels or use some aftermarket wheel? I see that the vender offers a aggressive pattern and a highway pattern for the super single. Would a highway pattern be used on the trailer? Thanks for your time.

Vince I'm seeing more rigs going to the super singles around the Houston area as far as going with the road tire I like the look of the aggressive tire the road tire looks like it may have a gap in the center. The rims from both the LoneStar and the

Bealll fit in the super singles perfect you just delete the in side rings.

very nice job on the paint, good choice of colours too, , I particularly like the lighter blue, not sure about those drive s.s.,, though, great project

In real life, the super singles are not as wide as dual tires. You surely have also noticed, the rims obviuously aren't the same either as they have to accomodate the wide tires and the face of the wheel isn't the same either, (not as deep and the angle of the 'cone' is shallower) . But, at this scale, for the sake of saving some parts from the actual kits, these were made to fit the kit dual wheels. In a perfect scale world, somebody would have made the tires the right width along with the correct rims to go with them. (Hint, hint resin casters...) So yes the real tires aren't as wide as these, but they still look pretty awesome in a hot roddish way... My 2 cents.

Edited by BigBad

In real life, the super singles are not as wide as dual tires. You surely have also noticed, the rims obviuously aren't the same either as they have to accomodate the wide tires and the face of the wheel isn't the same either, (not as deep and the angle of the 'cone' is shallower) . But, at this scale, for the sake of saving some parts from the actual kits, these were made to fit the kit dual wheels. In a perfect scale world, somebody would have made the tires the right width along with the correct rims to go with them. (Hint, hint resin casters...) So yes the real tires aren't as wide as these, but they still look pretty awesome in a hot roddish way... My 2 cents.

Also, if you ever look under a rig with super singles, you'll see that the brake drums hang out from behind the wheel, which is because of the narrower single tire versus the wider duals. I myself hate super singles, I come from the old school where truckers driver 18 wheelers! Also, duals make it much easier to limp to the nearest exit or truck stop should a tire go BOOM! I have (unfortunately) driven a couple bobtails with super singles, and they seemed to "walk" around in the lane much more than a dual setup does. I'll stick with my true 18 wheelers!!

Killer flames, I might just have to get a set of those masks myself for a couple Stars I have planned in the ole brain!