Model Cars Magazine Forum

Speed Channel going to soccer and UFC....

iBorg

If you're on Facebook, please take a look at the following:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/WE-WANT-SPEED-Channel/487707204643127?ref=tn_tnmn

If you're disappointed with the planned ESPNation of SPEED Channel, please like the page. I doubt if it will matter but I think Fox needs to understand the sense of loss many of us feel.

Thanks,
Mike

I guess Fox is going for the big audiences and ratings...there are a lot of more fans of team sports on TV out there than motorsports, I'm afraid. At least for now Speed 2 is still available online w a lot of coverage.

I do like the Indy Car and F1 coverage on NBC Sports (and they are getting some NASCAR in 2015), I'm wondering where the new United Sportscar Racing series will be next year.

As far as the car 'reality' shows, about the only ones I like are Chasing Classic Cars and Wheeler Dealers on Velocity..the others I've tried watching (Phantom Works, Cut, Chomp, Rebuild, etc ) seem to have too much fake drama for my taste).

Edited by Rob Hall

Looking at Fox Sports 1's schedule, it looks like the same ol', SPEED, but with other sports programming replacing the episodic series. Looks like they'll still have the same level of motorsports event coverage. Which is to say every stinking minute that anything NASCAR is in motion on the track (seriously - who watches Truck Series practice?!?!?) with an additional 27 hours of talking heads after they're done, with a little bit of some other stuff thrown in here and there (like MotoGP). No big loss to me, as I never watched the episodic stuff anyway.

Ahhh, just what we need, more stick and ball coverage! Seriously tho, about 7 or 8 years ago I thought darn, I'd like to get Speed if it wasnt part of an expensive Comcast package. Now I think, yawn, so what. NBC has F1, and its pretty good.

I am beyond tired of the stick and ball sports that any moron can play getting more coverage than any form of motorsport. Hopefully they will continue to show the Monster Energy Supercross races live, if not I'm not sure what I will do. I don't understand how there needs to be yet another useless sports channel in a sea filled with useless sports channels. :huh: This reminds me of when they canged Fuel Tv over to full time UFC coverage. That was one of my favorite channels since they showed nothing but action sports originally. I really hope Gearz can find a new home, I really enjoy watching Stacey work and the projects he comes up with are expensive, but very interesting. Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to let it go.

Edited by JM485

Another reason to get rid of cable and not watch TV anymore. If my women didn't watch tv i would cancel cable, TV is worthless anymore. Only thing i watch is motocross,sx and F1, and now a days you can watch all that on the internet.

We must be watching TV at the exact same times :lol: I honestly think the motocross coverage is better from the computer, seems like it comes in clearer for me.

UFC , MMA , et al. , have obviously taken precedence over sporting which , I dunno , actually requires paying attention , absolute focus , brain-power ,and a true challenge to one's constitution .

"Car Racing.

Because Golf , Baseball , and Football

only require ONE ball ."

For me, SPEED Channel became irrelevant the minute they dropped WRC coverage. There's nothing that beats driving fast on curvy, hilly gravel roads in the snow!

I have become a huge fan of the WRC.

Here are some videos to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXsT3OVtcmk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjILuvJ6OQ4

Edited by 935k3

Its actually "Football" not Soccer. Is fine with the change. Now one doesn't have to purchase the additional Sports package on Directv just to get the FSC Football channel however Ill continue to do so to get FSC + for the Fox Football News. Six of one half a dozen of the others. Some channel is going to cover anything your looking to obtain you just have to be willing to spend the great and almighty buck to receive that station should your package not carry that channel. Like the saying always goes, you get what you pay for.

Who's showing American Lemans series this year? I think I've been able to catch less than one hour of the big Le Mans race in the past 5 years because the scheduling and promo is such BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. Le Mans, Rolex, Sebring, WRC are fun to watch. Nascar has become a little more interesting since the Busch brothers have been involved, but I'm so sick of the over-promotion of Danica Patrick is sickening. But I don't find any racing on Fox anymore.

The unfortunate thing for Speed was that they were the only channel that would bring you NASCAR and WRC and other forms of racing when they were not widely accepted. After promoting different motor sports for years, the sanctioning bodies started wanting larger and larger pay backs for the writes to show their races. That's when Fox and other networks started to buy up the writes to show these races. Speed just couldn't get the revenue to buy the shows.