Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 DESOTO - - FINISHED == NEW CLASS OF '56

Ramfins59

Thanks a lot for all the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.

Don, I'm ready for a cruise.

Tom, it's not exactly the same color combo as the old Tunaboat......but close... LOL The '56 Plymouth and the '58 Olds are next in line to be finished.

Bruce, I try NEVER to omit any mirrors...... Can't piss off Harry...!!!

Rich, this has got to be the nicest build of this kit I've ever viewed! Your "special touches" (especially the tail lamps) add exactly what this kit needs to be realistic. One word of positive suggestion though (hope you don't mind?). There is a reason that a parking brake pedal was not present on the kit's floor. The late 50's Chrysler Corporation vehicles did not use a parking brake pedal. (I owned a 57 New Yorker for 15 years) Instead, they utilized a parking brake handle which was mounted to the lower left of the instrument panel. This handle actuated a "drum type" brake assembly which was mounted on the extension housing of the transmission. It prevented the driveshaft from moving when engaged...hence was completely separate from the vehicles service brakes. :huh: Fury3

David, thank you so much for the kind words, and no, I never mind any suggestions about what I build. However, what I added to the floor of this DeSoto promo was a brake pedal NOT a parking brake pedal. I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the parking brake handle and setup...... I owned a 1959 Dodge Coronet for almost 10 years and it had that exact setup for a parking brake. The thing never worked anyway though... I tried getting it fixed when I had the transmission rebuilt but wasn't successful. I used to have to always park the car on a flat spot, and would carry a brick type rock on the floor behind the driver's seat to put either in front or behind a wheel to keep the car from rolling when I would take it to cruise nights..!!! Here's a picture of the Dodge that I owned.

1959DODGECORONET.jpg

Rich, your stuff is always amazing, love your paint and every little special detail. I look to your posts to compare mine and see what I need to do better. I debated on whether or not to point out this one critique...but...I can't seem to ignore the BMF lines on the windshield visor. Is that just a optical illusion? I know it would be a pretty large piece of BMF to cover that but that's LITERALLY the only criticism.

David, thank you so much for the kind words, and no, I never mind any suggestions about what I build. However, what I added to the floor of this DeSoto promo was a brake pedal NOT a parking brake pedal. I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the parking brake handle and setup...... I owned a 1959 Dodge Coronet for almost 10 years and it had that exact setup for a parking brake. The thing never worked anyway though... I tried getting it fixed when I had the transmission rebuilt but wasn't successful. I used to have to always park the car on a flat spot, and would carry a brick type rock on the floor behind the driver's seat to put either in front or behind a wheel to keep the car from rolling when I would take it to cruise nights..!!! Here's a picture of the Dodge that I owned.

1959DODGECORONET.jpg

I really like those old boats. :)

Thanks very much again guys. Your comments, kind words and critique's are always welcome.

Ben, the "lines" that you see are creases that I couldn't smooth out when I applied the BMF. The pointed lines in the center are molded into the visor.

Jim, yeah I prefer shiny too.

Tom, wow, that's a pretty old picture..!! I still had a lot of hair on my head, and the hair on my face & head still had color to it instead of turning white and gray as it is now. I certainly do remember that "Mr. Potato Head" that we gave to Ken Walkley...... that was a pretty funny moment.

Mike, I really loved that car.... a 4,000 lb. tank, but it sure did have a lot of style.

Rich, you've really brought that kit a long way! Did you ever think about combining the DeSoto body with a Moebius Chrysler 300 kit chassis? I'm wondering about making my '56 into a hardtop by combining them and using the 300's roof.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

nice job upgrading the promo tail lights. the Jag/Maserati wires look good on this too.

If you keep doing BMF on these 50's cars people here may just ask for a BMF tutorial from you. :)

took the words right out of my mouth...LOL

Rich, you've really brought that kit a long way! Did you ever think about combining the DeSoto body with a Moebius Chrysler 300 kit chassis? I'm wondering about making my '56 into a hardtop by combining them and using the 300's roof.

I've been told that the Moebius chassis fits under the Desoto like it was made for it.... hmmm

Sounds great if you're in the mood for a project build. You'll have to cut open the hood, hinge it, fit the Moebius engine compartment pieces (and possibly modify them) and chassis to the DeSoto body, find the correct DeSoto engine to put in it, and also do up the Modelhaus resin interior for it. Shouldn't be a problem at all. :unsure: