Model Cars Magazine Forum

A short cancer update if you're interested...

Terry Sumner

I saw my surgeon this afternoon for a preop consult. I really like this fellow, Dr McCullough...he didn't pussyfoot around or sugar coat anything. Came right out and told me on the level just how bad the particular kind of cancer that I have is. And it's bad. A very aggressive form of cancer. Because of the aggressiveness and the shape my prostate's in he expects my surgery to last about 5 hours! Doesn't think the nerves can be saved. That's a bummer! Also depending on how enlarged it is when he gets in there, there is a fair chance of a permanent change in my urination operation if you know what I mean... Not just do some exercises to get the strength back but more like not ever being able to get it back... My life "as it was" is going to be over after the 29th... Not over period...just as it used to be. It's going to change quite a bit. In view of the fact that I have this aggressive form of cancer I asked him what would have happened had I not caught this with the PSA blood test. He told me it would have metastasized badly inside of 3 years! So much for it being such a slow form of cancer!! After the surgery, going to be in the slammer for anywhere between 2 - 7 days with a catheter in for a week! Lovely.... Time to buy stock in the Depends company.... To my male friends: Go and get your PSA tested!!!! It's just a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH blood test! Sure wish I had gotten mine done LAST year....Maybe it wouldn't have been so advanced....

Yep , it's going to change your life style a bit , no doubt ! Nothing you can't handle , ya geriatric old goat !

The alternative is not acceptable , as long as you're on this side of the dirt , sucking air , and annoying the hell outta me , I'm a happy boy !

As for the Depends , I thought all you flatfoots wore them anyways , what's the difference ?

Lmao !

Pm me your address , please !

Good luck to you. My dad had his prostrate removed about 2 years ago from cancer and it's not as bad as you might think. it takes time but he is doing fine know with just a little life style change and it sounds like the same. His was about as bad as it could be so just stay positive.

Hang in there, Terry. I was fortunate that we had a walker at the house. I just hooked the pee bag to the walker and went up & down the driveway in boxer shorts. Got some exercise, outdoors, and going at the same time. Do the exercises for your sinther(??) because it'll make a major difference after the surgery. I wore diapers for a week and haven't needed them since.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thinking of you Terry. My dad had his prostate removed at about 70, had a couple of weeks with a catheter, and lived to past 80 with no real problems, until his heart got him. My point is, there are plenty of examples to keep your spirits up.

Edited by sjordan2

Terry,

Sorry to hear the news but keep in mind that modern medicine has made a lot of advances and no two people are the same when it comes to treatment and recovery. Let's hope your doctor gave you a "worst case scenario" and the actual news on the day of your surgery is much better!

You have a big supportive family here Terry and we are all hoping for the best outcome for you and your family. Let us know what we can do to help you get through this and we will be there for you!

Take care and God Bless!

• 2 weeks later...

We're all pulling for you Terry. It must be a McCullough family trait. My buddy Jacen was always a no-nonsense, non sugar coating kinda guy too. You're in a rare position to have a surgeon you like, that's part of the battle right there. Good luck, i'll be praying for you.