Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kurtis Sports Car (Update 1/27/17)

RancheroSteve

• 6 months later...

The Kurtis used a unibody chassis with '49 Ford suspension parts. Even though it is a body on frame car, the Revell'49 Mercury provided a decent starting point and it has detailed & separate components. After a lot of hacking and scrap plastic, I now have the basic chassis pan and interior platform:

881 Kurtis chassis

879 Kurtis chassis

I think I've overcome most of the big hurdles in this build - I can actually begin to finish and assemble it now!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/4/2019 at 8:16 AM, misterNNL said:

There are two of these real 1:1 size cars on the huge photo coverage of the Plymouth,Mi American Concours coverage on these forums by Howard Cohen.

Thanks. Great photos by Howard there, but those are actually Muntz Jets, the "stretched" version of the Kurtis.

50 minutes ago, John Goschke said:

By way of inspiration here's a great vintage shot from the Kurtis shop (I think).  I really like the Halibrand wheels on this particular car!

Thanks for that shot, John - don't believe I've seen that one before. I haven't made a decision on the wheels yet, but this adds another choice to the mix.

• 1 month later...

You may recall from my last post that I thought the body was getting close to being ready for paint - well, one step forward, two steps back as they say (or is it the other way around?). In any case, I looked at the body one day and realized there wasn't enough height to the rocker panels below the trim. Considering how far I'd come with this, I thought about leaving it as it was, but then I knew it would only continue to bother me, so I added some material and re-shaped it (compare with earlier shots in this thread to see the difference).

image.png.271b9993b6a56bdf3d772e73ac3e90a3.png

image.png.54439eebd64ef8db749fe06d9ce717c3.png

I also made badges from thin brass and added them to the hood and trunk - they'll get foiled and decaled. I also made some underhood bracing which you can't see here.

image.png.7b0a0ae42ac629c148b68a5c0fdc4617.png

Just a lightly sanded mist coat over primer here - hoping to have some real paint on soon!

• 4 weeks later...