Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Most Embarrassing Cars To Drive

I currently drive a Town Car, but I am once retired . :lol:

My son owned an Honda Element and I almost stole it from him I liked it so much.

Way subjective.

*edit*

"Embarrasing" is driving a fully marked Chevrolet Celebrity as a regular beat car. Not bad as urban patrollers, but really?

G

I can see that being the embarrasment of the cruiser fleet. Had somebody on NAXJA complaining about the Taurus Interceptors his department now uses, he wants the 90's LT1 Caprice's back.

Its not a looker but the interior is nice and its a blast to drive, also probably the only other CUV you can get with a Manual.

Nissan Juke:

My vote for recent car that makes the least stylistic sense. Aesthetically I can't figure out the choices (short deadline and high turnover in the design dept?)

nissanjukephoto_zpsbae37fbc.jpg

I actually like a couple of the cars on that list but then I like that Nash Metropolitan that is posted too !! The Juke should have been on that list. It is just plain stupid looking IMO. If we go back a bunch of years I think the King Midget would be on my list. A street legal lawn mower. : )

They forgot that the Element gets horrible gas mileage. My brother's girlfriend has an 04 and he estimated that it gets around 17 mpg. That's pretty bad for a 4-cylinder Honda!

Somebody "estimating" mpg is worthless base for comparison. I am not saying that the Element gets good mileage, but most people don't actually do the simple math to figure out exactly what their car gets for mpg - and depending on their bias, tend to over or under estimate.

It is an ugly car.

Also, this list wasn't the writer opinion. It was based on a survey - and all surveys are flawed to one degree or another depending on questions and answer choices, who they called, even what time of day, so...

Edited by Erik Smith

PT Cruiser? Chevy HHR? VW Beetle? Embarrassing to be seen in? Really?

I think those three cars are actually pretty cool, or at least certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. Another of those "who came up with this list???" type of list...

I saw that list on AOL this morning and chose not to publicize it. Maybe it should have been titled, "Cars That Look Least Like Your Friggin Camry". Another one of those articles that looks like it was written by a female summer intern with a 1 hour deadline! I like the above three vehicles as well. I've nearly bought a PT a couple of times, may still wind up with one someday. I've rented them and they drive very nice, much like my old Plymouth Breeze.

Murano Cross Cabriolet?

Never heard of it, never seen one.

Awful looking vehicle and expensive. I don't think they've sold many, the only one I can think of is on TV. The husband on "Sister Wives" drives one. His choice of women isn't much better! :)

Edited by Tom Geiger

Awful looking vehicle and expensive.

Yeah, I googled it after it was mentioned here. To merely call it "ugly" is being kind. I think "hideous" is closer to the mark. Wow, between that one and the Juke, I don't know which one is worse! Congrats to the Nissan styling team... you guys are really on top of your game! :lol::lol::lol:

The only problem with the Wienermobile is that the bun is too small.

Or the wiener is too big... :P

If your name was Anthony Weiner-Wouldn't any car you drive be a "Wienermobile" ?

Do you think Anthony Weiner would send embarrassing pictures of his car to pretty young girls ?

They forgot that the Element gets horrible gas mileage. My brother's girlfriend has an 04 and he estimated that it gets around 17 mpg. That's pretty bad for a 4-cylinder Honda!

My '04 Element is the AWD model and gets about 24-25 mpg. These days that's not really a great number either. Better than my 19 mpg Caravan was, though.

Yeah, I googled it after it was mentioned here. To merely call it "ugly" is being kind. I think "hideous" is closer to the mark. Wow, between that one and the Juke, I don't know which one is worse! Congrats to the Nissan styling team... you guys are really on top of your game! :lol::lol::lol:

I don't mind the Juke, it was designed to be that odd kinda thing. In fact it wouldn't look bad as a 2 door convertible. I've held onto my Geo Tracker some 22 years because there's nothing new to replace it with.

Now the Murano convertible... it looks like an after thought. Like they just tore the roof off an SUV. Not at all pleasing!

The Murano is interesting - I like the concept a lot. The execution is off, and price point way off, but a convertible crossover? I give them credit for the courage.

The Kia Soul is a very unattractive vehicle.

Edited by Erik Smith

The Murano is interesting - I like the concept a lot. The execution is off, and price point way off, but a convertible crossover? I give them credit for the courage.

Having the "courage" to do it doesn't hide the fact that they failed spectacularly when it came to the execution. ;)

I just saw a convertible Murano a few hours ago. Hideous! I think at some point Nissan and Toyota had a challenge on who could make an uglier car, and Toyota gave up after they retired the ugly last generation Celica. Nissan has been carrying the flag ever since. The Juke, Murano, and the Q35 looks like a running shoe.

From their list, I would actually like to have a Subaru Brat/Baja.

I don't mind the Juke, it was designed to be that odd kinda thing. In fact it wouldn't look bad as a 2 door convertible. I've held onto my Geo Tracker some 22 years because there's nothing new to replace it with.

Now the Murano convertible... it looks like an after thought. Like they just tore the roof off an SUV. Not at all pleasing!

The Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick is just the 2nd generation Samurai. They renamed it after the whole Consumer Reports Slander/Scandal. Overseas they are both know as a Jimny. (too similar to GMC Jimmy)

You kind of have to wonder why they make some of these vehicles. It should cost no more to make a good looking car than it does to make an ugly one. No ?

Many car executives sign off on these strange designs before the get built. So many of these guys have bad taste..