Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth Roadrunner

I finished this model yesterday for the Mopar Nationals model contest this weekend.

The paint is Curious Yellow from Model Car World with PPG Urethane clear, body decals are from Keith Marks and under hood decals are from Last Detail and Mike's Scale Speedshop.

Here is a list of the models that I used to make it:

MPC 71 Roadrunner - Body, Interior tub, seats

AMT 71 Charger - Chassis, inner fenderwells, carbs,

Revell 69 Charger - Engine heads, valve covers, fan belts, tires

AMT 69 GTX - Engine block, 6 bbl intake, 4 speed trans

Monogram 71 GTX - Go wing, chins spoilers, pistol grip shifter

AMT 71 Duster - Wheels

Photoetched wipers, seat belt buckles, scratchbuilt radiator hose with clamps, mesh for cowl vents.

2dv0fms.jpg
2zjkgpc.jpg
21kc6rt.jpg
2lbzww9.jpg

Good call on that colour , James !

GY3 Curious Yellow is one of my 'Top 10' fave Chrysler colours !

Please don't take the following comment as me being critical of your superb 'Runner :

the valve covers are "swapped" around here ; their placement seen here is the 1969 & earlier arrangement .

1970 model year , the breather was switched to the passenger side (maybe that was only a Cleaner Air Package ---i.e. , California--- only deal for 1970 ?) ; and by 1971 , the breather had three ports :

1.) Ported to the air cleaner's base ;

2.) Ported to the carburetor's bowl vent , and ;

3.) Ported to the vapour return line to the fuel tank

I know for certain that 'N95' (Calif Emissions / C.A.P.) equipped engines had the breather fashioned as such ; however , I am not all together certain as to whether or not 'Air Grabber' (N96) engines had the aforementioned breather.

Again ; not bustin' yer chops . Just some rhetoric ; some fodder ...

Thanks folks for the wonderful comments. I truly am proud of this build. Michael Schmauder, Kevin Wallenhorst and I went to the Mopar Nationals yesterday for the contest. As a trio, we took all of the "best of show" trophies, plus Kevin took the 1st for his Daytona, Mike took 3rd with his 70 Challenger. I took home the Mopar Collectors Guide pick of the show with this Roadrunner. It was a good day!

To answer a few questions you guys have:

I did use a picture of a 69 6bbl car for reference with the carb linkage, fuel lines and vacuum hoses. Very keen eye there :)

The reason I used so many parts from different kits is that the parts that I used were better detail. The old MPC kit doesn't give you much detail to start with in the chassis and engine.

Thanks again,

James "Moparbuilder" Tester