Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anybody make Kenworth K100 grab handles for AMT K123?

Hi guys, I don't know about you, but after building my own AMT K123, it really bothers me that I can't find these parts elsewhere than in other rare and (now) expensive kits such as the Revell K100 Aerodyne and the ones in the AMT Aerodynes. Does someone make these items in the aftermarket? These handles are really distinctive on these trucks and a must have on later model K100s. At the same time, why not include the gullwing bumper, lower cab door handles and square headlight panels in a retro-fit kit? Anybody??

Well I have the gull wing bumper, never thought about casting the long double rail grab handles. I would lean towards casting the mounts & step cleat & using ally rod for the bars. As for the other bits, all good ideas. KFS has a nice set of plated PE slam locks.

Ap40

Yeah, casting the steps would be great, along with aluminum rod for the rail itself, but you still have to get the correct brackets to mount them to the cab. If someone decides to cast them as a whole, I'm sure he'll get some business. I have a set from my Revell K100, but I don't want to use them on another truck... There is tons of parts for Peterbilts and Macks, there might be some interest for retrofit parts for the K123 (probably more than some actually...)

• 1 month later...

I drew a set up in CAD based off of a set I have from an AMT aerodyne kit. I am trying to get quotes from a few different 3D printing places. One place said if the quantity is large enough then the price goes down a little. Maybe we could get a group buy and get the price down a bit.

Hi,

These trucks were such as classic that I'm sure lots of people, including myself, would love to have parts to modify or improve their K-123 kits now that it is readily available again. There are so many ways you could build one that an enterprising aftermarket company could tap into - lets hope some do!

Edited by Jim Whalen

Just for clarification, here are 2 images of both the wider grille & the grab rails from the AMT Aerodyne K-100 & the RoG VIT K-100 kits. IMHO, the RoG parts are the bits to run as the detail & accuracy is much greater than the AMT.

Your opinions count, so lets here which you would prefer to have.

Thanks,

IMD

• 4 months later...