Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sun Star's 60 Plymouth Fury

Porscheman

Guys,

The scale is 1:18 and some of the features are movable wipers, seats sun visors, real hood, doors and trunk hinges. Carpeted throughout, an underdash record player, gas cap behind the movable license plate and photo-etch grill and emblems. Rich, the Dodge hardtop will be out in the 4th quarter, but the red and with convertible is out now with a solid charcoal arriving in a couple of weeks. Prices run between $79.00 to $109.00, it pays to shop these. Dave, I have over 1000 1:18 in my collection. A cheap plastic shelving unit from Home Depot does the trick. These are beautifully done and worth the money. Their 58 Fords are outstanding.

Nice. I always was under the impression that Sun Stars were kind of bottom of the barrel when it came to die cast replicas. I was wrong. This one is very nice.

You're right... Sun Star models used to be pretty cheesy. They have stepped up their game big time! I can hardly believe that this model is one of theirs! Good job, SS!

You're right... Sun Star models used to be pretty cheesy. They have stepped up their game big time! I can hardly believe that this model is one of theirs! Good job, SS!

Not sure what you guys are thinking of, but Sun Star was never "Cheesy" or "Bottom of the Barrell". From the start, Sun Star had some of the best models for the time they were made.

The Plymouth posted above is from their Platinum Collection. Sun Star added that line about eight years ago and has made several awesome models with that detail, although like all diecast it has improved some over time.

Here is one of Sun Stars early models in the regular line.

nStar53ChevyHardtopBlue_1601LF-vi.jpg

nStar53ChevyHardtopBlue_1601RF-vi.jpg

nStar53ChevyHardtopBlue_1601RR-vi.jpg

Not sure what you guys are thinking of, but Sun Star was never "Cheesy" or "Bottom of the Barrell".

I beg to differ. I have several Sun Stars from years ago. Giant out-of-scale (and completely inaccurate) dogleg door and hood hinges, panel gaps you could drive a Peterbilt through, lousy interior detail, etc. They have definitely come a long way.

I beg to differ. I have several Sun Stars from years ago. Giant out-of-scale (and completely inaccurate) dogleg door and hood hinges, panel gaps you could drive a Peterbilt through, lousy interior detail, etc. They have definitely come a long way.

Refresh my memory, what cars are you referring to?

Yes they have come along way, the 53 Chevy posted has dog leg door and hood hinges and sold for $20.00, BUT when that car was made all the other 1/18 cars being made also had dog leg hinges. Every 1/18 diecast company had some issue on some cars over the years.

If you are comparing 20 year old regular issue diecast cars to high detailed collectible cars of today then yes, some may not look too good. By the way, Sun Star still makes many of the old cars with dog leg hinges as does American Muscle and a few others.

Every 1/18 diecast company had some issue on some cars over the years.

I never said they didn't. In fact, I never said anything about any other manufacturer. All I'm saying is that Sub Star has come a long way. Their models used to be cheesy and cheap looking, very toy-like, while this new Fury looks to be more in the Danbury Mint class of models.

I never said they didn't. In fact, I never said anything about any other manufacturer. All I'm saying is that Sub Star has come a long way. Their models used to be cheesy and cheap looking, very toy-like, while this new Fury looks to be more in the Danbury Mint class of models.

Ok, My statement you quoted was made saying yes, there may have been some older Sun Stars that had issues. Sun Star in general was NEVER considered Cheesy and Cheap looking in the diecast world.

I can't remember any that stood out as being that horrible so I would still like you to mention which cars you are referring to.

Just to interject, Sun Star like everyone has some hit and misses. Maisto has great interior but orange peal paint. Sun Star has taken over where Highway 61 left off, but better. It's hard to beat their Platinum Series, especially in this price range.

Heres a couple more Platinum Series.

Al

Edited by Porscheman

I can't remember what the diecast were that I used to see in my favorite hobby shop but, I do remember some of the Sun Star deicast looking like a boomarang. They arched up in the middle, looked like the nose and rears were sagging. Maisto had some like this too, Welly was the worst of the arched diecast.

I seen the 60 Plymouths and 59 Dodges up at the Chrysler Carlisle show this year and was very impressed with them. Haven't bought any 1/18 scale diecast for a while but I may have to buy these. I like the look of there 59 Oldsmobiles too.

Edited by jjsipes