Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Impala Custom Two-Tone on air-ride

sarkasim99

Hey guys, this is my fourth one this year. I'm working on them in my spare time and just finished my 62 Impala. This one has two tone Mica Red and Metallic Black with Wet Clear. 23 inch split spoke wheels and disc brakes. I put a larger master cylinder in to compensate for the disc brake conversion. The interior is tan and black, pretty stock. Trunk cut open and I put an air tank with a battery and lines in it. There is also lines under the car running to each "Airbag" which was a few pencil erasers and some clever shaping. The motor is the 409 race version with chrome headers and the chrome air cleaner. There are a few minor flaws with it, but I'm happy with it overall.

I was worried about the wheels being too large but I think it fits nice. What do you think?

Comments and criticism are always welcome!

IMG_2325_zps9729109d.jpg

IMG_2281_zpse164c967.jpg

IMG_2324_zps32e0bb24.jpg

IMG_2320_zpsc24c1809.jpg

IMG_2291_zpsb5e29d7c.jpg

IMG_2317_zps4559c641.jpg

IMG_2283_zpsbf94c15f.jpg

IMG_2279_zpsdde5242b.jpg

IMG_2337_zpse145a431.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I really enjoy this community here.

Dr. Cranky reminded me that I did indeed "shave off" all the emblems and logos. I also filled the front two holes where the chrome trim goes and I kept the door handles and the one mirror.

I don't see a whole lot of flaws, aside from maybe the fact that there's absolutely no clearance between the front wheels/tires and the fender, so the wheels couldn't steer.

I would have gone with smaller wheels... never have been a huge fan of the giant wheel look... but that's not a flaw, just a difference of opinion. Overall I'd say you can be very proud of this model. B)

Duane, I used a little bottle of model masters chrome silver paint. The stuff is a life saver when you clip off chrome parts from the sprues. I just lined the trunk cut with that paint carefully and it came out good. Bare Metal Foil would have been a little hard to cut and I could see my hand slipping and writing a line in the bumper.

Great looking Impala, Ben. Which version did you use for this? I really like the firewall with out holes for the hinges going through the heater box.

I'm building 2 of these and have both the Revell versions; the Special edition and the SS California wheels version. Both have the hinges going through the fire wall. It's frustrating.