Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Mustang convertible By AMT/Round2?

Mike Kucaba

That was something that was announced a while back as a 2013 release for Round 2/AMT....who knows if it will actually happen or not..it's not pictured on their website. It would be neat to see the AMT '66 back in it's original form (the '60s annual was a convertible), but I'll be surprised if it happens...

I built this one from the 1966 Annual, which was the only time it was issued with the convertible body.

DSCF2852.jpg

The orignal tooling was changed into the Sonny and Cher Mustang kits. The Hardtop kits were modified from the promo tooling.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Very interesting about the actual car from movie use...but it is NOT a factory "GT". It has the exhaust run through the lower rear panel, the trim delete on the rear fender coves and rocker moulding, the badges proclaiming it a "GT", and a "GT" gas cap, but none of the other real GT options. A real factory GT would have the GT driving lights in the grill, the factory light switch mounted on the dash next to the power top switch, disc brakes up front (this one has neither the disc brake master cylinder, nor the disc brake pedal in the cockpit), the cheap/standard steering wheel, no GT stripe on the sides, and most certainly not the real GT exhaust hangers inside the rear frame members.

The lack of a "dress up" kit on the engine could have been 1st buyer's choice, but it's so easy to make that engine compartment look better with at least one of the several options available. All factory GT's had disc brakes and upgraded suspension -- not an easy conversion. I'm pretty much an expert on factory GT cars of this era after spending 4+ years doing a full concourse, rotisserie, every nut and bolt restoration of my factory '66 GT convertible.

I'd still like to have the model, though, since I think it does have the options that cannot be made from scratch without ridiculous amounts of time and screaming. OK....just looked at the kit model again. It does not have the GT lights in the grill, and probably not some of the real GT little stuff. But....I could easily make the lights, the switch, the master brake cylinder, and probably fudge a set of disc brakes for it. What cannot be duplicated that the kit does have are the "Styled Steel Wheels" which were usually part of the GT package. SO, it's a really good start......if you can find one, I guess.

Edited by deja-view

You missed the fact that the two cars are exactly the same ? Interesting :lol:

Not sure of your point, Greg. Mine was that the box art says the car/model is a Mustang "GT", and it is not. Yes, the model looks like a nice replica of the real movie car...but neither are a real "GT" optioned Mustang. A badge doesn't make it a "GT". Probably a little ignorance on the part of the model maker, but intentional puffery on the part of Schmitt to elevate the value of the real car. That's dishonest.

Edited by deja-view

Schmitt was the only Rolls Royce dealer in the midwest for over two decades. Their original facility was on South Kingshighway in south St Louis. It had a showroom to die for. They out grew the place and moved to north county in the early 90's. If they had that car on consignment, it was perfect, not just showroom, perfect.

That would be a great new tool kit.

G

Edited by Agent G

Schmitt was the only Rolls Royce dealer in the midwest for over two decades. Their original facility was on South Kingshighway in south St Louis. It had a showroom to die for. They out grew the place and moved to north county in the early 90's. If they had that car on consignment, it was perfect, not just showroom, perfect.

That would be a great new tool kit.

G

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice car with an interesting history, and the price is fair. But they should qualify the ad as a Mustang "GT" convertible....then explain in the text that the badges and trim were added by the previous owner.

I think Greg's point is that it's exactly the same car.

The box art photo has been photoshopped from the photo on the Schmitt web page.

Yes....and he's right. I am not challenging the transfer of the details from the real car (which Schmitt, apparently, has in its inventory) to the model. From the art it looks like AMT did a nice setup to build a 1/25 of the real car. But I still maintain that truth is relevant -- especially in the advertising of the real car. AMT obviously copied the info/art for their model, which is ok to a point, but even they should have checked it out a little better before they mislabeled what the car really is. I think most model builders -- especially those who build exact replicas of real cars -- want accuracy in all ways. Schmitt, OTH, is a professional dealer in the business of selling nice cars.

They have a DUTY to be truthful about what they sell. Since any factory GT Mustang of those years is worth twice what a non-GT in similar condition would sell for, Schmitt cannot misrepresent a vehicle so badly without repercussions. I doubt anyone here would want to pay the price, have that car shipped to them, then find out it is NOT a factory GT optioned car. Clones and specialty/modified cars are great, but they are still altered versions and did not come that way from the factory or dealer. A modeler probably won't care if his goal is to build what the box shows, but laying out $40-50-60,000 or more for a car with personal alterations is a different story. I am adamant about this point because I see fake GT Mustangs being advertised as real all the time. Those who don't know all the details of the difference get ripped off.

Harry, this would have been a good one for Real or Model. I was thinking it was just an exceptional model because I didn't see any valve stems. I never really thought it was an actual kit though. I was suspect of that poor quality of print on the word "Airplane". It looks like someone did it in Microsoft Paint.

Edited by Skydime