Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've done several 378-SBFA conversions to the Italeri kit.

You have three choices, resin pre-04 hood, resin '04-07 hood and scratchbuilding a pre-04 hood.

For scratchbuilding, take the kit hood, slice off the lower portion of the hood on both sides (equal and even cuts).

Reinstall the lower hood section and fenders rearward to account for a 47" set-back. You will need to scratchbuild the bumper, or use one from a 377 kit modified.

Either scribe of cut the fenders where the hood-to-cab line is. This portion of the fenders is mounted to the chassis and cab on the real truck. On mine I fix the hood closed to avoid all the fitment issues.

The battery and toolboxes will need to be moved rearward slighting (the kit has mounting holes for a rear and forward mounting box) or mount the fuel tanks forward and the battery box aft of them, or use a COE style battery box or.. about any combination is/was available from Peterbilt.

Headlight mounting location can be the higher-up on the grille location that the kit has or down low, which affords more protection for the lamp housing in obsticle filled construction sites. IF you do this, you'll need to fill in the existing mounting holes OR use a grille from a 377 kit.

If you need more info, just post or email.

Tim