Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to find resin valve cover set of Boss 429 'finned' ?

Been checking through the vendors list, and other sites online, including evil-bay, but so far no luck! Anyone know of a source?

What I'm looking for is a set of valve covers for a Boss 429, but with the finned detail like OEM on the top edge

The ones I've seen so far are either blank, or have "FORD" or "BOSS" stenciled across, which is inaccurate

I've attached photo below of OEM cover as example

post-12003-0-45949500-1376911314_thumb.j

Yes, I think I looked there Jerry, but as you say would need modification to make proper

I'm unsure what the 429 Boss kit engines have?? I would presume stock covers like in the photo? but I didn't really want to send away for a whole kit, just to investigate? I was hoping to find them recast somewhere

Yes, I think I looked there Jerry, but as you say would need modification to make proper

I'm unsure what the 429 Boss kit engines have?? I would presume stock covers like in the photo? but I didn't really want to send away for a whole kit, just to investigate? I was hoping to find them recast somewhere

I may have an old Johan Boss 429 in my engine spare parts. I'll look tomorrow and see if I have it and what it came with.

Gerry

I may have an old Johan Boss 429 in my engine spare parts. I'll look tomorrow and see if I have it and what it came with.

Gerry

Great, thank you Gerry! Even if I can only get hold of a pair that requires modifications, then at least I could then use the modified pair to recast?

Thanks for reply John, so is that the same kit as the Revell 1970 Ford Boss 429 (3 in 1, kit #85-2149) kit?

Without any knowledge of kit numbers , all that I can do is describe the box art through the kit's run :

1.) 1981 issue . No optional parts . Moulded in orange .

2.) 1985 reissue . Optional tunnel ram induction , Shelby wheels , and some other options . Moulded in white .

The 1985 version has been reissued numerous times in its 28 year (!!) guise (which reminds me that I must get my hands on one of these kits again !).

I hope that this info was of some help to you :)

Okay, I found a 429 engine that I beleive is from a Johan model, Comet perhaps? The plastic is green.

Anyway, I pulled out a Revell 1/24 429 Valve Cover set and placed next to the 1/25 set:

DSCF5663_zps21ceff3e.jpg

And here is a side shot to get more detail:

DSCF5664_zps94521aa5.jpg

As you can see, the Johan is close, but the Revell much more accurate. You can also see the size differential.

PTX Mini engines from Phoenix/Hobby Gear does a couple of 429's, but, IMO, the valve covers do not match the detail you are looking for. Ross Gibson offers resin 429 engines as well. I don't have any, but the photos I have seen are inconclusive as regards valve cover detail. And you would have to buy a complete engine set. I have a few of his Chevy engines, which are very nice.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry, the revel kit source seems best, Johan kits are cheapest around $40 to start, and as I'm only looking for just the valve covers, buying a whole model kit is hard to justify LOL :)

Possibly if I can find a revel or monogram kit local for cheap, I'm kind of surprised I can't find just the valve covers re-cast by someone on line, then it would only be a few dollars to get hold of? especially since I really only need one cover really! :D

Edited by Jeremy Jon