Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which wagon? 62 Impala by R&R or 61 Impala by Jimmy Flintstone...

Inspired by the bike shop owner who had a rather unusual (in Holland anyway) shop car, I got an idea for a new project.

I'm looking to build a Chevy wagon.

Either a 61 or a 62.

I found a 61 by Jimmy Flintstone. Any thoughts on this?

I also found a 62 by R&R. Quite a bit more expensive. Is it worth that?

Also, does the 62 require an AMT donor kit or wil the Revell kit work?

Where 2 buy?

Any help/thoughts/comments are more than welcome!

MG

R&R is now presumably out of business after Ray Parson's death. I have the R&R '61,'62, '63 and '69 Chevy wagons..they are all based off of the old AMT annuals...they need cleanup (not as clean as a Modelhaus resin kit for example), but with some effort they can be built pretty well..

Edited by Rob Hall

go to <rocketfin.com> . Scroll down to Model Car Links . All vendors are listed alphabetically . Steve Kohler is great to deal with . He will make it right is anything is wrong . R&R castings are hit or miss . Jimmy Flintstone is also great to deal with . His products are real nice . Needing some work as R&R sometimes . This is due to Mold Wear and Tear on both . Jimmy makes mostly doner kits , needing to get doners . R&R made both complete and doner . Check with Steve and make sure what you are getting . Thanx..

go to <rocketfin.com> . Scroll down to Model Car Links . All vendors are listed alphabetically . Steve Kohler is great to deal with . He will make it right is anything is wrong . R&R castings are hit or miss . Jimmy Flintstone is also great to deal with . His products are real nice . Needing some work as R&R sometimes . This is due to Mold Wear and Tear on both . Jimmy makes mostly doner kits , needing to get doners . R&R made both complete and doner . Check with Steve and make sure what you are getting . Thanx..

I like that suggestion. Visited his site like a million times ( or slightly less ... )

Thanks!

MG

R&R is now presumably out of business after Ray Parson's death.

I don't know if anyone has heard anything about this. I understood that his wife Ruth and his children were involved in the business. I hadn't heard whether it would continue in business, be sold or just be out of business. Does anyone know anything?

I don't know if anyone has heard anything about this. I understood that his wife Ruth and his children were involved in the business. I hadn't heard whether it would continue in business, be sold or just be out of business. Does anyone know anything?

I don't know...I have noticed that the eBay vendor of R&R kits (msmiteymouse) is still selling them, but I wonder if they are selling existing stock, since the # of listed items has been dwindling over the last few months (I just recently got the R&R '65 Belvedere wagon and Savoy 2dr sedan from eBay).

The Jimmy Flintstone 1961 Impala 2-door wagon body is a phantom model because Chevy didn't offer an Impala wagon or a 2-door full size wagon in 1961. The top of the line full size Chevy wagon in 1961 is the Nomad followed by the Parkwood and Brookwood. The Impala wagon wasn't offered until 1962.

R&R is now presumably out of business after Ray Parson's death. I have the R&R '61,'62, '63 and '69 Chevy wagons..they are all based off of the old AMT annuals...they need cleanup (not as clean as a Modelhaus resin kit for example), but with some effort they can be built pretty well..

To me any 60s wagon is COOL!!!!!!..... Love to have a 69 Impala wagon my mom use to own a 67 and a 69....they got to look sweet!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Price is due to Parts count. The R&R kits are almost complete. (Body, interior, seats, dash, grill/bumpers, etc)

You need tores, etc, but everything else is included.

The Flintstone is a Body Only(Like the pic of the 61 Impala 2dr wagon above).

Maybe a hood. But NO grills/bumpers, etc.

All that comes out of your parts box/donor kit.