Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tonka Truck Restoration?

Fabrux

Every year there is a flea market held in a double ball field in a town about a 45 minute drive from me. There are always all kinds of things there and you'll never know what you'll come across. Browsing this flea market this year has rekindled an interest I've always had in older metal Tonka toys. Both my parents work at a local line construction company and I managed to get a good deal on a late-70s era bucket truck that was originally labelled for Bell System. The Bell stickers are all gone now and it shows expected wear and tear from being played with for almost 40 years.

My question to those folks on here that may know a thing or two about older Tonka toys if it would be a good idea to disassemble this truck and paint it up in their company's colours? I intend to give it to them to display at their office when I'm done with it, either a simple cleaning or full-out restore. From the research I've done so far this particular truck doesn't seem to be all that rare or valuable, thus my inquiry.

That's about what I figured. The fun part now will be getting stickers/decals made with the company logo...

A lot of sign companies these days have the ability to produce die-cut vinyl stickers and to scan and print (on a clear carrier) very professional looking graphics for reasonable money, if you want it to look really good.