Model Cars Magazine Forum

Saving a piece of American automotive history

I just received this link in my Yahoo! model car group, and I thought it was very cool that Honda is doing this.

Apparently, because of the switch to digital "film," a lot of drive-in theatres around the country are in danger of closing- in fact, just about all of them.

Honda is willing to donate five of the upgraded projectors to these small businesses- many of which are landmarks, and family-owned enterprises. At $80,000 a pop, these projectors are not cheap, and the revenues simply aren't what they used to be.

I'll be hitting a drive-in before the end of this summer now. Perhaps we all should if one is within a convenient distance and do our part. $20-25 for two or three movies for a whole carful of people? Tell me how you lose like that?

The voting is here.

http://projectdrivein.com/

Charlie Larkin

LOVE the drive-ins!!!

Being a teen in the eighties, they were a weekend ritual pretty much all summer B) My '68 Impala was the car of choice for our larger groups too...two or three of us up front, three in the trunk! :lol:

There are several still in our area, in fact one very close to my work is open YEAR ROUND (weather permitting of course).

My bride & I go as much as possible, the kiddos like it too!

Edited by jeffs396

Not many left here but we've got one about 15 minutes drive away.

3 screens and a 50's styled diner. Open all year round.

We probably go once a month. Even in winter. There's something special about watching a movie through the rain and starting the engine up every so often to get hot air to demist the windscreen...

We have a drive-in here in Sussex, which is about a 45 minute drive for me. It is based a campground and seems to be doing pretty good. It is only open during camping season as our winters simply wouldn't support a drive-in theatre. Not sure what their equipment is like but they show all the latest movies so I'm assuming they've upgraded to digital?

We have a drive-in here in Sussex, which is about a 45 minute drive for me. It is based a campground and seems to be doing pretty good. It is only open during camping season as our winters simply wouldn't support a drive-in theatre. Not sure what their equipment is like but they show all the latest movies so I'm assuming they've upgraded to digital?

Apparently, most movies are still released on celluloid as of right now, but this may be changing in the next year or two.

Charlie Larkin