Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got a Petty question for you experts

shafer

I was recently reading a book about the silent speedways of the carolinas which tells of all of the cup races run on tracks in north and south carolina, its a great book. When I got to the Raliegh fairgrounds chapter , I saw that Richard Petty run (and won)on the last dirt track ever raced here which ended the dirt track era. This was in 1970. He was driving for another owner and won (much like he did in coulumbia sc on a blue and gold #43) here is my question, he won in a 1969 Plymouth, knowing he raced fords in 69 and her never ran a 1969 plymouth ( so I thought) can any one fill me in with more information or pictures of this car? Thanks so much. 69 plymouth models are plentiful and i would like to build that car.

the car was owned by Don Robertson

Edited by shafer

Richard won that race in a Plymouth he had sold to a mister Don Robinson, and then rented it back from him for the race. As for the 1969 Plymouth, that was actually a misnomer. The car was really Richard's 1968 with a 1969 hood. Petty Enterprises often sold off older equipment that was still eligible to race as during that time they were still getting factory backing and the King deserved nothing less than the top of the line. Overused equipment was not his style. As for why he would rent his own car back is a matter for speculation, but I personally suspect it had to do with the bulkier 1970 Plymouth verses the more svelt 1968/69. I'll put in a call and see if I can get a little more info on this.