Model Cars Magazine Forum

Renault 16...

Brizio

I always like to have models of 1:1 cars we have or had in the family, but sometime there is not kit or you can find them only in diecast. I have been looking for this Renault for years, my grandfather had one back then, and finally last year I was able to find this kit at a "human price", and I had to grab it. :) The kit is made by Union, but the original kit was Heller. It is pretty nice kit with 197 pieces. All the doors, hood and trunk open, the tires turn and the back of the front seats can go down too! Pretty complete kit for it's scale. I already noticed that the spare tire is mounted upside down, also in the engine bay they show decals on battery, alternator etc, but the kit does no provide them...

Here the kit...
8eb9.jpg

s0os.jpg

8bap.jpg

3ta3.jpg

I would love to find one. My father in law had a 1970, in dark green. No one believed the 4 speed column shifted manual transmission. Cool find, do post pictures when you get it finished.

Sometime they pop up on ebay. Nice! The model I want replicate is my grandfather one and was a 1968, light green. I believe you about the 4 speed manual transmission on the steering column, also was pretty nice to use. I will post picture of all the progress. :)

Looks like a neat kit of an offbeat subject..don't think I've ever seen a non-diecast model w/ 4 opening doors.

Me either, I never seen a 4 opening door model kit.

Oh superb! My Dad had one in the late 70's. Metallic blue it was. He sold it to our milkman for £5. Never knew anyone made a kit of it, best I scour the ads and see if I can get me one too.

Watching with interest.

Wag

My grandfather R16 was taken toe the junk yard, too much rust under the car. Check ebay.com or ebay.fr when you can, the price range for a unassembled kit is between $70 to $140. At least what I found in those years that I was looking. I found also one for $30, but was broken and partially built. Good luck! :)

I love kits of bizarre cars ... and this qualifies! Will be watching closely.

This was a cross between a sedan and a station wagon because of the cargo capacity. :)

we had one of these as a family car before too. a very odd car it is.

Cool! Do you have picture of it? I will ask my parents if they can scan a few pictures of my grandfather car.

Never seen one of these kits before. Looks cool and fun...

Sure is fun!

Thank all for watching and comment! :)

The picture below is a 1965 Model H, a light 4x4 built by Jeep-AMC and Renault, and it was based on the Renault R16, using the Renault 1.4 4 cyl engine, but with the 4x4 addition. It had also a removable hard top. This is kind of Cherokee XJ grandpa.

65Prototype.JPG

This car bring me very nice memories...I saw some Renault 16 whem I live in Venezuela many years ago. The later versions of those cars was very quick cars for this type of euro/econo cars. Nice star so far!

Thank you! That's pretty cool, I did know they sold Reanult in Venezuela.

Test fit the rear axle, thinking about detail, they design it like thee real car. Very good! :)

b6zd.jpg

. No one believed the 4 speed column shifted manual transmission.

I once had a Saab 95 wagon with a 4 on the column. It was a very cool car. It had this one thing though... as you drove the dash mounted ashtray would vibrate open. When you shifted down to 4th gear, wham! Your hand would make contact with the edge of that ashtray! I noticed there was dried blood on the sharp edge. I'm not a smoker so I threw the ashtray in the back seat! End of problem.

I once had a Saab 95 wagon with a 4 on the column. It was a very cool car. It had this one thing though... as you drove the dash mounted ashtray would vibrate open. When you shifted down to 4th gear, wham! Your hand would make contact with the edge of that ashtray! I noticed there was dried blood on the sharp edge. I'm not a smoker so I threw the ashtray in the back seat! End of problem.

Wow! That's not good, I wonder how many persons threw the ashtray in the back. :D