Model Cars Magazine Forum

How often do you visit Hobby Lobby?

There's one hobby shop in NJ where each time I go there, the model car section has shrunk again. So I asked the owner why and he said, "Fewer and fewer people are building models anymore!" Guess he hasn't seen the relationship between his shelf shrinking and sales?

Yea, nobody builds models anymore, and he's doing his part to make it true!

Tom, you should tell that guy to stop in at NNL East so he can see how many people "don't build models anymore." I know that most of the people at the NNL wouldn't be his customers but he'd be able to see how wrong he is.

>At our store they won't put the new kits out until the clearance kits are all sold.

that's completely nuts. they actually do that at a Hobby Lobby? what earthly reason could they have for doing it? aren't they missing sales of new releases that are instead taking up space in the back room, waiting for some dead stock to grow legs? Man that's messed up if its true.

just sayin'.

jb

>At our store they won't put the new kits out until the clearance kits are all sold.

that's completely nuts. they actually do that at a Hobby Lobby? what earthly reason could they have for doing it? aren't they missing sales of new releases that are instead taking up space in the back room, waiting for some dead stock to grow legs? Man that's messed up if its true.

just sayin'.

jb

I agree

just sayin'.

jb

A lot of things are messed up at Hobby Lobby, luckily the ones here don't do that. One still had two kits on clearance from the last reset. They are the Willys cartoonish drag cars, which are tough to sell kits to begin with.

For those familiar with Hobby Lobby, do they sell BMF and or flocking in their stores?

I can't find any on their web site. I am going to be close to one later tonight and would like to stop in and get some.

Nearest one to me is....about an hour away in Manchester, N.H. No incentive to go there since I have one excellent and two solid hobby shops nearby.

Now....if I end up at UMASS Amherst for the graduate day program/assistantship, they have one in Holyoke, and I might go check it out. But, then again, Pioneer Valley Hobbies in West Springfield (about the same time to Holyoke) and Hog Heaven Hobbies in Sturbridge (roughly an hour and on the way home) are much safer bets for lack of disappointment.

Charlie Larkin

The Hobby Lobby, I was planning to go to last night (I didn’t make it, but will go this weekend) is the closest to my house. There is one that is about an hour away which I have gone to a lot in the past that I liked a lot. I don't remember the name but if hobby lobby doesn't have what I want then they probably should.

I've been talking to the guy in my local HL that stocks the model/train etc,. section and he also is of the opinion that nobody builds models any more. I've seen their model section shrink considerably in the last six months. I did find some AMT parts-pack Goodyear "Blue Streak" slicks (PP008) for get this,....$7.99 and with my 40% off coupon that came to like $4.79 with tax,...$5.22! (I paid $15.99! for the Goodyear "Polyglas" GT tires pack at my local HS!) They only had one pack, sitting up on the top shelf by itself at one end of the model car section, one! For that price they could sell those things all day long! But they won't because the people up in 'corporate' are convinced no one builds models any more. That's what the guy told me, he or , no one in the store has any say on the matter of what they stock, it all comes from corporate office. I wonder if the store manager has any say? Next time I'm there I will see if I can talk with him. The people up in corporate are making a huge miscalculation I think, and hope.

Edited by Speedfreak

I've been talking to the guy in my local HL that stocks the model/train etc,. section and he also is of the opinion that nobody builds models any more. I've seen their model section shrink considerably in the last six months. I did find some AMT parts-pack Goodyear "Blue Streak" slicks (PP008) for get this,....$7.99 and with my 40% off coupon that came to like $4.79 with tax,...$5.22! They only had one pack, sitting up on the top shelf by itself at one end of the model car section, one! For that price they could sell those things all day long! But they won't because the people up in 'corporate' are convinced no one builds models any more. That's what the guy told me, he or , no one in the store has any say on the matter of what they stock, it all comes from corporate office. I wonder if the store manager has any say? Next time I'm there I will see if I can talk with him. The people up in corporate are making a huge miscalculation I think, and hope.

Well, his opinion is pretty much not even close to being fact, I am sure he is basing his opinion of the sales of model kits from his store, I am guessing that the store is not located in area that has a lot of model builders in it.