Model Cars Magazine Forum

How often do you visit Hobby Lobby?

first off no one makes any money when you use those 40% off coupons; they are to draw you into the store and get you to buy other stuff. what used to be called a loss leader. if you walk in there every time with a coupon that you use on your entire purchase, the marketing people do not put a high value on your patronage. if all modelers come in there with that scenario pretty soon they don't value customers of those items (models). you might be surprised how closely they track stuff exactly like this to figure out what to stock and what not to stock. its what I hate about these places, they are the Walmart of hobby shops and that means on pretty much all levels. that includes mercilessly gathering as much data about you as they can and then selling it to whomever they can. its one way they help increase their profit. those coupons might well be part of that, I don't know because ive never personally participated or even stepped foot in a hobby lobby. but I may soon just for the sake of further investigation. :D

second, IS there a place one could say has a "lot of model builders" in it? I kind of doubt it, in fact I would guess model building, such as it is, is spread through the USA demographic pretty evenly. I know people rich and poor who build models and I don't think you could identify them by any other characteristic.

jb

. that includes mercilessly gathering as much data about you as they can and then selling it to whomever they can. its one way they help increase their profit. those coupons might well be part of that, I don't know because ive never personally participated or even stepped foot in a hobby lobby.

They do not track people using their coupons, you do not have to give them any personal info when you use them, and or what you buying with it.

they must have electronic cash registers and they enter a product number or code...so its just a matter of the front end on the beast behind it.

but my main concerns would be: do they have a good selection of Tamiya paints and where can I get that coupon?

jb

they must have electronic cash registers and they enter a product number or code...so its just a matter of the front end on the beast behind it.

but my main concerns would be: do they have a good selection of Tamiya paints and where can I get that coupon?

jb

No, the only Tamiya products they sell for the time being is Tamiya primer, the big can, Fine white, and regular gray, but you can beat the price using a coupon, $7

Yes, the cash registers have electric cords attached, but again, there is no electronic record of the specific items purchased in store. If I buy the Revell Rat Roaster kit for $24.99, all they know is an item from the Hobbies section was sold for the price of $24.99. They may enter a department number/code (hobbies, fabric, art supplies, etc.), but the price entering process is extremely basic. Their website even mentions the lack of electronic price scanning.

Their paint selection heavily favors Testors and Wicked Colors, etc. acrylic paints, so very few Tamiya paints in my experience. I think they started carrying the Tamiya spray primers in the last year or so at various stores.

The coupon is available on their website, or you can view it on your smartphone and won't need to print out a copy of the coupon.

it might be worth dropping in there for the primer then because that is what I use and the price is astronomical. so I assume (hope) you mean 40% off of 7$ = about 4$?

My mistake, when I said $7 I meant after the 40%, its $10.99 , after tax , I pay $7 and change

Edited by martinfan5

AND, I just found out today, you can use 'one' coupon on 'one' item per day, can't beat that. Until today I thought because the expiration dates on the coupons run weekly, I thought that you could only use them once a week. Duh.

Bill, if you go to their website it directs you to the coupon, or , if you goggle Hobby Lobby a link for the coupon comes up.

Hey Jonathan? how's the painting coming along? :blink:

Edited by Speedfreak

AND, I just found out today, you can use 'one' coupon on 'one' item per day, can't beat that. Until today I thought because the expiration dates on the coupons run weekly, I thought that you could only use them once a week. Duh.

Bill, if you go to their website it directs you to the coupon, or , if you goggle Hobby Lobby a link for the coupon comes up.

Hey Jonathan? how's the painting coming along? :blink:

What am I painting ? :o

The hobby lobby in my area clearance lots of model master cans that was not selling. The kits seem to sell good. I have not been back while they was redoing the model isle getting ready for new kits. they do this twice a year at the one I shop at...

I cheat,I print a coopon, then buy a kit, 24.99 went too like 12.99, then got too car, wait a few min, then go back and buy some paint, "model master" its like 6.89, then use my ph coopon at a different register, lol yea I'm bad, lol

Thy do have a decent Air brush supply, paint. Guns. Compressor, 40% off a 109.99 air brush is GREAT, or a 269.00 compressor, wow, I'm heading too HL now,lol

I go a couple times a month maybe. But I pretty much go there with the 40% coupon to stack up on Testors one coat clear or Vallejo acrylics. I can also get replacement parts for my Iwata custom CS there too. They carry tamiya weathering systems and the super tiny cotton swabs as well.

I never buy kits there anymore though. Too over priced and I still can't justify it with a coupon unless it's something I really want. A couple years ago they used to sell at least a couple of tamiya kits but they stopped doing that.

I reckon the coupons are nice, but the HL we went to today SUCKED. Over-priced. Out of a lot of stuff. Unfriendly staff (a Saturday thing?). Not impressed, at least with this store.

Dale

Yes, HL on Saturdays suck, I try and avoid go there on Saturday, I was going to stop at one today on my home from swap meet, but its right across the street from a mall, no thanks

I reckon the coupons are nice, but the HL we went to today SUCKED. Over-priced. Out of a lot of stuff. Unfriendly staff (a Saturday thing?). Not impressed, at least with this store.

47259130.jpg

I was inside the West Bend, WI store today and they expanded their plastic models aisle again. Lot's o' stuff to chose from here. :)