Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring Cars, Yay or Nay?

Nay. Go pro STREET!

I agree 100%.... in a way, I own a pro street car, had it since the early 80's. still gets looks, really tired of hearing that pro street is dead, in this day and age, nothing is dead, everyone is building everything and the true car buff can appreciate them all, may not like them all, but understands the work involved and the imagination put into these cars.. I do like pro touring, will never own one. to me, they are just what was stated, all modern equipment in old style muscle wrappings. as far as factory stock, I feel the only reason to keep something factory stock is monetary value.

these are ones that confuse me.... the pro street guys will not adopt these cars and as far as I know, the G-machine guys don't claim them either. I say it's closer to pro street than pro touring. ever try to corner with a 21" rear tire...... yea, can't be done.

post-5121-0-19367000-1377173526_thumb.jp

Edited by tubbs

If done with taste & functionality, then yes!

Pro-touring cars, by their original intent, were to be durable for long drives, then able to race on the track, otherwise they are "show" cars IMO

19" wheels = yes, 23" wheels = no

ground clearance 4-5" = yes, ground clearance decapitating ants = no

:D

I agree, 23 inch rims were never meant to be on any pro-touring car.

I know, you're all sitting there hitting refresh wondering what I think! :lol:

While it's not my cup of tea, I can understand the genre. Think about street rods. Cars of the 1930s weren't made for the roads of today, so people have created specialty chassis and drivetrains that bring that drivability up to an acceptable level. I think this new ProTouring genre is pretty much the same thing. Think about how comfortable and smooth current cars are today, next to the way 1960s cars drive. I know that even my 1999 Plymouth Breeze is a better driver than any of the 1960s and 1970s cars I've owned. It's comfortable, drives smoother and takes turns better. It's quieter, has air and power accessories. Most important it's bullet proof reliable at 140,000 miles. Thinking back, my '65 Barracuda or '66 Valiant ran on 13" tires, had inadequate brakes, handling left a lot to be desired, road noise was loud especially at higher speeds. And when you got it up to 80 or higher, the whole car vibrated. It just wasn't made to do that. So, same as street rods, it makes a lot of sense to update these cars to current standards to have a unique ride that drives to today's standards.

it's really simple for me..

most classic cars look awesome especially muscle and late 50's..but most of them while sometimes having plenty horsepower don't handle steer or brake at all

most modern cars look plain ugly or all the same...but most of them are a great drive ..

combining these 2 worlds ,if done tastefully ,is a great opportunity to create a really nice machine

i've always more or less did this with my own 1/1 cars ..starting with an 69 Opel Kadett with a modern 2,0 litres feul injected engine and newer chassis and drivetrain..

next up a VW Golf (rabbit) MK1 with a 200hp g60 engine and huge brakes and modern suspension..and now a BMW e30 3 series with a modern 24v engine and modern suspension..

people always think i drive a nice old(er)car..and that it still drives like one with all it's shortcomings...but that not the case ...not by a long shot..

that why i also like a '69 Camaro with a 572 crate motor and powersteering /aircon etc...

it may look '69 but drives and handles '09...

In the 1:1 world, there seems to be a fine line between Pro Touring with a mild street rod look, and a "resto mod" with a stock appearance but upgraded mechanicals and technology, which I would prefer so I could enjoy driving it more.

In the scale model world, I'd rather stick with factory stock.

Edited by sjordan2

I know, you're all sitting there hitting refresh wondering what I think! :lol:

While it's not my cup of tea, I can understand the genre. Think about street rods. Cars of the 1930s weren't made for the roads of today, so people have created specialty chassis and drivetrains that bring that drivability up to an acceptable level. I think this new ProTouring genre is pretty much the same thing. Think about how comfortable and smooth current cars are today, next to the way 1960s cars drive. I know that even my 1999 Plymouth Breeze is a better driver than any of the 1960s and 1970s cars I've owned. It's comfortable, drives smoother and takes turns better. It's quieter, has air and power accessories. Most important it's bullet proof reliable at 140,000 miles. Thinking back, my '65 Barracuda or '66 Valiant ran on 13" tires, had inadequate brakes, handling left a lot to be desired, road noise was loud especially at higher speeds. And when you got it up to 80 or higher, the whole car vibrated. It just wasn't made to do that. So, same as street rods, it makes a lot of sense to update these cars to current standards to have a unique ride that drives to today's standards.

this is what makes 1:1 cars and model cars so great, love this stuff. I think it is truly an individual thing. let me talk you thru a cruise night in my pro street road runner, first off, I have to sling my butt over between the cage and the steering wheel into the Jaz fiberglass seats (at 53 and 230, that's getting harder to do), carbs are always hard to start, prey I don't have climb back over the cage to undo the 8 or so deuz fasteners holding the hood down to adjust something. fire it up, let it warm up, no power steering, brakes, window, heck, not even a radio! idle down my dirt road with the windows down cause its starting to get hot. it has an aluminum firewall that conducts heat from the engine real well, turn onto the main street with the rear end wobbling around because of the big' ol tires. get into a straightaway and hit 1/4 throttle just to get a thrill and make some noise. get to the local hot spot, hope she is running cool....... out, in, do it all over for the ride home. good thing I live on a street with only a few houses cause I sure will wake everyone up. get it in the garage and shut her down for the night, sweaty, kind of tired, I look at the car, smile and think that I wouldn't give that up for no air conditioned, smooth riding, tunes playing cornering machine if you paid me!!

sorry to ramble but it's just way too much fun!! I guess what I am saying is keep your pro touring, give me pro street!!

post-5121-0-75419400-1377193560_thumb.jp

this is what makes 1:1 cars and model cars so great, love this stuff. I think it is truly an individual thing. let me talk you thru a cruise night in my pro street road runner, first off, I have to sling my butt over between the cage and the steering wheel into the Jaz fiberglass seats (at 53 and 230, that's getting harder to do), carbs are always hard to start, prey I don't have climb back over the cage to undo the 8 or so deuz fasteners holding the hood down to adjust something. fire it up, let it warm up, no power steering, brakes, window, heck, not even a radio! idle down my dirt road with the windows down cause its starting to get hot. it has an aluminum firewall that conducts heat from the engine real well, turn onto the main street with the rear end wobbling around because of the big' ol tires. get into a straightaway and hit 1/4 throttle just to get a thrill and make some noise. get to the local hot spot, hope she is running cool....... out, in, do it all over for the ride home. good thing I live on a street with only a few houses cause I sure will wake everyone up. get it in the garage and shut her down for the night, sweaty, kind of tired, I look at the car, smile and think that I wouldn't give that up for no air conditioned, smooth riding, tunes playing cornering machine if you paid me!!

sorry to ramble but it's just way too much fun!! I guess what I am saying is keep your pro touring, give me pro street!!

That's a really nice car, but aren't those curb feelers supposed to be sticking out the side and not the back? ;)

This whole movement of messing with vintage muscle cars to make them nice and street friendly bothers me. I'm itching to hit the 1/4 mile with a stocker and every 68 to 70 Mustang I find with a running 351 has been reworked or updated in some way that would move it into either Super Stock or Super Street and I'm too old to play with those guys.

Dale

To keep our love of the past, where there was style and beauty, and mix it with performance, comfort and safety. What's not to love. I am sorry but I am not a fan of how a car looks today, but one cannot deny that a family sedan or mini van can outperform the muscle of the past, and be every day reliable at 25 miles per gallon. It is great to look forward, but one should always keep an eye in the rear view mirror, to know where you have been.

I understand how much work that goes into putting modern engines in and updating all the suspension but imo they don't look good. For example my dad updated his 70 El Camino ss 396 with with disc breaks and aftermarket swaybars and the stopping power and handling is 100X better. As for me I love how loud my vega is, all the road noise with no carpet and the rattle of the b&m pro stick cover as well as I love wicked acceleration in a 2300 pound car with 750 horsepower and 4.56 gears on 26 and a half inch BFG drag radials.So what about the not so great handling, it makes for a fun drive.

Edited by Dragfreak

I say Yay for the simple reason that Pro Touring/Pro-Street cars, as Jordan stated, takes classic 60ties-70ties American muscle cars and updates them with the most current automotive technology i.e. drivetrain, suspension,wheels/tires etc. It makes them safer, more comfortable, faster and certainly better handling. This genre of vehicle gives vintage American muscle cars a second lease on life with a younger generation. True, I dont like every Pro-Touring car I see but, if the Pro Touring genre keeps one more American classic out of the salvage yard and on the streets I`m all for it.

In the words of Barry Meguiar who host The Speed Channels T.V. show Car Crazy..."DON`T` CRUSH `EM...RESTORE `EM!!!"

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I really like the pro-touring concept in general. I mean face it...most pony and muscle cars really didn't handle or stop particularly well...but they looked good doing it. Putting contemporary chassis, tires and braking components under older cars of striking visual style just HAS to be a good idea.

I agree with the thought that the more rare cars probably shouldn't be radically molested.

I'd also like to see a little more emphasis put into taking serious weight out of the cars using contemporary materials. I came across a 2-ton '55 Chebby pro-street recently, and that's just wrong.

That Javelin looks awesome. But keep in mind that's a factory-stock Javelin, with only aftermarket wheels to "update" it. (No telling what's under the skin, bit by outward appearances it's a stock Javelin).

My point being... that muscle cars looked fantastic straight out of the factory! :D

That Javelin looks awesome. But keep in mind that's a factory-stock Javelin, with only aftermarket wheels to "update" it. (No telling what's under the skin, bit by outward appearances it's a stock Javelin).

My point being... that muscle cars looked fantastic straight out of the factory! :D

I'd say the suspension has been updated as well.

Has anyone been to one of the Optima battery faceoffs? Super fun to watch. Check out some footage from one of the tracks. My local track, Road America, had some thrilling times with these pro cars. Great fun to watch 1200 streetable horsepower get around there. I think of them as a jack of all trades. I'd definitely build my '66 Ford up this way if the funding was there.

Exactly! :D

That's a really nice car, but aren't those curb feelers supposed to be sticking out the side and not the back? ;)

This whole movement of messing with vintage muscle cars to make them nice and street friendly bothers me. I'm itching to hit the 1/4 mile with a stocker and every 68 to 70 Mustang I find with a running 351 has been reworked or updated in some way that would move it into either Super Stock or Super Street and I'm too old to play with those guys.

Dale

curb feelers... you are as old as me if you remember those.... and thanks for the complements.

ok, another question, how wide does a tire have to get before a pro touring car becomes a pro street car? I have seen pro touring cars with narrowed rear ends, or did I? I guess you can tub a pro touring car, but I guess once you start moving frame rails inward, it becomes a pro street?

post-5121-0-50297700-1377258887_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-93496600-1377258949_thumb.jp