Model Cars Magazine Forum

What to build Next?

Yes all the time.

I had received some incentive due to the release of several "holy grail" kits. The '50 Olds and the '90 Mustang LX allowed me the opportunity to build three cars I wanted for over 20 years now.

Now that I'm done with those, although there are at least two more Mustangs planned, I find myself wandering around looking for inspiration.

G

I usually have the next one picked out and started on it long before I have the current project finished. So, I have no idea of what you're talking about Carl. :lol: I have probably thirty or more projects on the go currently. For me, it's always fun to try a style of build I haven't done before. Lately, I've been hooked on customs after giving one a try.

Yeah that has happened to me Carl,but not for the past year or so. Since I got myself on this 1950's car building roll I have a line of cars waiting for their turn on the bench. Plus, I'll order a couple of resin kits for either my birthday in April, or for Christmas which adds to the pile. Then there are any new Promo's that I can find that I "need" to build. I don't think I'll have any problems picking what to build for quite a while now.

Pick a "theme" and run with it...... sort of like what I've been doing lately.

Whatever you decide on, the problem will pass and you'll have a bench full to work on before you know it.

Actually Carl, when I'm faced with that question, I've found that it means I'm not ready to get into another project yet. Maybe step away for a bit, then let the renewed urge to build point you in the right direction. I think you're just not inspired at the moment.

Actually Carl, when I'm faced with that question, I've found that it means I'm not ready to get into another project yet. Maybe step away for a bit, then let the renewed urge to build point you in the right direction. I think you're just not inspired at the moment.

Mike l know what your talking about. lts getting close to fall and l really have the urge to build. When l get that not so serious mood l take a break. Thank you

Carl,I wish I had that problem .Mine is more like which started model do I finish next :rolleyes:

Pat my wife told me not know which kit to build was a good problem...

Hey Carl ! That indeed does happen to me as well. I don't have a very large stash so it's not too hard to pick my next project. I find when that happens to me I just spend more time here and get ideas as well as ideas from the model magazines and well as real magazines such as Hot Rod amoung others. If I could suggest a kit that I have not seen you build yet how about a Cobra ? Sorry, couldn't resist. What ever you build I know it will be a clean and shiny build. Hey, maybe that's it. Build a rust bucket perhaps.

Hey Carl ! That indeed does happen to me as well. I don't have a very large stash so it's not too hard to pick my next project. I find when that happens to me I just spend more time here and get ideas as well as ideas from the model magazines and well as real magazines such as Hot Rod amoung others. If I could suggest a kit that I have not seen you build yet how about a Cobra ? Sorry, couldn't resist. What ever you build I know it will be a clean and shiny build. Hey, maybe that's it. Build a rust bucket perhaps.

Thats a kit Ray l have never built. l don't have a large stash but thanks to those 40 percent off coupons l have built a small stash. l think l am going with a copo nova and a 69 camaro. l still have ti take pictures and post my 37 ford truck.....

When I have that problem I ask my wife to pick one out of the stash for me. I will even ask her to decide what style build I should do. Sometimes I will build one for her, let her pick it out pick the color and everything. One time I took one I built for her to a contest and won a trophy and had a picture of it published in a model magazine. Doing this healed me from builders block and involved her in my hobby. It was fun for the both of us.

My problem is that I have too much stimuli and get easily distracted by new ideas, or kits in my stash. It can be something I've seen on one of the boards, real cars, cars and trucks I see in person. Ideas are all around me, and it takes longer to build them than to dream them up.

I started out this year with the goal of getting my unfinished project stash down, (I finished my long term '34 Ford project) but I fear I've started a few more that I haven't finished. So I'm no closer to my goal!

Dean Milano builds factory stock vehicles and he said that he had a jar with a folded piece of paper for every kit in his stash. When he needed to decide his next project, he just reached into that jar and pulled one out. And that model became the next one on the bench. He's one of those guys with more discipline than I. No unfinished projects, he builds each one straight through to the end before selecting the next one.

My problem is that I have too much stimuli and get easily distracted by new ideas, or kits in my stash. It can be something I've seen on one of the boards, real cars, cars and trucks I see in person. Ideas are all around me, and it takes longer to build them than to dream them up.

I started out this year with the goal of getting my unfinished project stash down, (I finished my long term '34 Ford project) but I fear I've started a few more that I haven't finished. So I'm no closer to my goal!

Dean Milano builds factory stock vehicles and he said that he had a jar with a folded piece of paper for every kit in his stash. When he needed to decide his next project, he just reached into that jar and pulled one out. And that model became the next one on the bench. He's one of those guys with more discipline than I. No unfinished projects, he builds each one straight through to the end before selecting the next one.

I have only three unfinished projects. thats a cool ldea drawing a build out of a jar...

and then there's the 'amnisty' projects...lolol

i have WAY to many of those...hehehehe

The only way I ever finish anything! It sees that I finish at least one project a year!

For those not in the know- Each year between Christmas and New Years I usually take that week as vacation and pull an old unfinished project off the shelf and finish it. It's been called the "Christmas Model Amnesty Project" named after the "Thanksgiving Turkey Amnesty" thing the president does each year.

Back on June 20 of this year I made a promise to myself to not start another build until I have finished all of the in-the-works stuff that I have. There's an awful lot of them and some of them date back to the late '90's. Several are "projects", many aren't. And I have close to 100 kits on the shelves (including aircraft, armor, naval vessels, starships and cars). Yikes. Each day I can think of ideas for many of them. I have to write it down or when I get to a particular kit, I'll have forgotten what I had thought of. I have more notes on current and future builds than you might think (right, Rich?)

Carl, if you're not sure of what to build next, I think Dean Milano's jar pick is a good idea- but you gotta keep an open mind, be firm and not return any slips of paper back to the jar. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Back on June 20 of this year I made a promise to myself to not start another build until I have finished all of the in-the-works stuff that I have. There's an awful lot of them and some of them date back to the late '90's.

A noble thought, I made the same statement as my New Years Resolution! I started out the year great by finishing my long suffering '34 Ford rat rod build. Then I fell off the bus and started building new stuff again. Most of which aren't finished, so I actually upped my number of unfinished projects instead of the opposite! Argh!

I decided at the end of last year that I was going to build more AND finish them. I now have 6 builds waiting for me to figure out how to make seat belts for them (or get someone to let me use their credit card).

I went to my local hobby shop (Panther Hobbies) today for paint, aluminum and brass tubing, razor saw blades...and another kit to build.

Bob