Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Miami Vice Daytona vs. Fujimi Ferrari 365 GTS4 Daytona Spyder

crowe-t

Does anyone have a Monogram/Revell Miami Vice Daytona Spyder and a Fujimi Ferrari 365 GTS4 Daytona Spider kit to compare the size of the bodies?

Revell/Monogram used the 1/24 scale Corvette chassis to make the Miami Vice Daytona. The 'Ferarri' Daytona body they used is based on an actual Ferrari and not the kit car used on the TV show. However an actual Ferrari Daytona 365 is approximately 5 inches wider and 5 inches shorter then a Corvette.

I believe Revell/Monogram may have enlarged the Daytona body to stretch the wheel base to fit the Corvette chassis.

I'm thinking that maybe the Revell/Monogram 'Ferrari' Daytona body is actually slightly larger then the Fujimi Ferrari 365 Daytona Spider body.

Anyone have these 2 kits for comparison?

Edited by crowe-t

Jeremy, I just measured the Monogram body I have. I'm not sure if I am taking the measurements exactly as you did.

The Monogram kit's body(minus bumpers) measures 74mm W x 182mm L. I measured the width to the ends of the quarter panel wheel well lips and the length from the tip of the nose to the end.

I was thinking the whole body was enlarged( maybe to something like 1:22 or 1:23 scale) since a Corvette's wheels stick out a bit compared to it's body, due to it's Coke bottle shape.

Maybe Monogram just stretched the Ferrari body to match the Corvette's longer wheel base???

I'm still curious how the Monogram body compares directly with the Fujimi body since they are both the same 1:24 scale.

If anyone has both the Monogram and the Fujimi Daytona kits and can compare them(measurements, pictures...) I'm still curious.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

I measured with calipers to the outside edge of the doors & fender lips for width, and from nose to tail in same fashion - no bumpers - of bare body for length

The Fujimi wheelbase is correct, at 100mm

The 1:1 Ferrari dimensions are:

Wheelbase = 2400mm

Width = 1760mm

Length = 4425 (most likely includes bumpers in length measure)

Jeremy, I appreciate you taking the time to get these measurements for me. I did take the measurements the same as you did.

It looks like the Monogram Daytona's wheel base is approximately 104mm. It's starting to look as though Monogram stretched the body and left the width. Even the doors on the Monogram body look as though they are a bit longer. Though still hard to tell since I don't have the Fujimi kit to compare.

Again, If anyone has both the Monogram and the Fujimi Daytona kits and can compare them(measurements, pictures...) I'm still interested.

Edited by crowe-t

I just measured the Monogram doors at the waist/molding line and they are 46mm.

It doesn't make sense that the Monogram 'Ferrari' Daytona body's wheel base is 4mm longer but the overall length is 13mm longer. But we are talking about Monogram here so it's not surprising.

The chassis in the MV Daytona kit is essentially the C3 chassis from the Monogram '78 Corvette. There's a gas tank where the spare tire cover is but it's the same chassis.

Maybe Monogram wanted to make the Miami Vice Daytona like the kit car used on the show and used the Corvette Chassis. But realistically I'm sure Monogram just simply cheated and used the Corvette chassis since it's close enough and just stretched the Daytona body to fit.

The funny thing is whatever reason Monogram had for doing it this way, they still missed the mark since their Daytona kit's body more closely resembles a real Ferrari then the McBurnie Coachcraft replica used on the show. They should have used the C3 'Vette's windshield/frame.

BTW, Jeremy, can you double check the measurement of the length? I scaled the 1:1 Ferrari's length of 4425mm(to 1:24) and it comes to approximately 184mm. I don't think the bumpers add 15mm in length.

Is the Fujimi Daytona's body 179mm?

Edited by crowe-t

The chassis in the MV Daytona kit is essentially the C3 chassis from the Monogram '78 Corvette. There's a gas tank where the spare tire cover is but it's the same chassis.

Maybe Monogram wanted to make the Miami Vice Daytona like the kit car used on the show and used the Corvette Chassis. But realistically I'm sure Monogram just simply cheated and used the Corvette chassis since it's close enough and just stretched the Daytona body to fit.

The funny thing is whatever reason Monogram had for doing it this way, they still missed the mark since their Daytona kit's body more closely resembles a real Ferrari then the McBurnie Coachcraft replica used on the show. They should have used the C3 'Vette's windshield/frame.

IIRC, there were at least 2 distinct kit cars in the show..one that had a retrimmed but recognizable Corvette interior and one that had a dash that more resembled the Ferrari...also, one of them had hidden headlights like the Monogram kit, and one had rectangular headlights behind glass covers, IIRC.

Yes 169mm, maybe 170mm max, measured twice, mine is an unbuilt kit, no bumpers, just nose edge to tail panel

A quick measure of the bumpers is 4.5mm + 5.5mm, so total 180mm = 4320mm (@ 1:1) , short about 4.3mm scaled to the factory given length

Thanks for double checking the length. Most of the 12mm difference in length between the Monogram and Fujimi bodies can be accounted for. The Monogram's wheel base is 4mm longer due to the Corvette being longer and the Fujimi's body comes up approximately 4.3mm short of what it should measure to match the 1:1 car. For the Monogram body, 4mm(added to the wheel base) + 4.3mm(this body is longer so this 4.3mm isn't missing) makes 8.3mm.

Edited by crowe-t

IIRC, there were at least 2 distinct kit cars in the show..one that had a retrimmed but recognizable Corvette interior and one that had a dash that more resembled the Ferrari...also, one of them had hidden headlights like the Monogram kit, and one had rectangular headlights behind glass covers, IIRC.

There were 2 cars used on the show. Both had the Corvette interiors that were slightly modified to resemble a Ferrari. I don't know for sure regarding the headlights, but I know that the 'beauty' or rather 'camera car' had the headlights behind glass. I'm not sure what the other car had.