Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nissan S15 Silvia D1 Grand Prix

MikeyB08

So my 2 Ferrari builds are put on a serious back burner due to some paint issues. So I moved on and ordered this kit from Amazon. Received it yesterday and I have to admit, I'm very excited/ nervous for this build. It is curbside so it does lack an engine, but the decals alone is enough to surpass the loss of an engine.

The kit is from Aoshima. The 1999 Nissan S15 Silvia was driven by Yasuyuki Kazama, the 2005 Drift Champion. First thing I did was viewed the instructions. Has real spring (working <_< ) suspension and comes with the option of choosing your own hood. You can go with the stock OEM hood or an aftermarket vented hood. The kit came with gold plated wheels and PE front bumper spoilers. While inspecting the parts, I couldn't help but notice just how clean the parts look. Clean crisp lines with decent detail. Under the chassis will need some attention so I'm thinking about scratching my own exhaust as I feel the one with the kit seems a little weak and undersized.

This will be a Box-Stock build. However, it never hurts to try something new. So I believe this will be the first model I try airbrushing on...

Don't worry, I plan on practicing A LOT before I commit to painting the body. You can tell on the Box-Art that the main green on the car (Daytona Green) is just a shade darker than the decals. I plan on going with a lighter green so the decals really have a chance to POP! The kit contains 109 decals. Majority of them are small other than the large side/ hood design decals. I'm nervous of this kit because I've never worked with this many decals. I've always wanted to attempt a large Decal based build and at $16, I figured this was the kit to take that chance with. My last resort should my decal attempt fail, it will become a stanced S15. At that point I may consider adding an Skyline motor complete turbo detail and intercoolers. But we shall cross that bridge when I get there.

I think I've said enough. Hopefully this build will come out better than my past 3 builds have started. :P

IMG_20130822_082736_zps227e0328.jpg

IMG_20130822_082356_zps8fb73d2f.jpg

IMG_20130822_082349_zps31331bee.jpg

I'll be doing some package unpacking tomorrow and a mock up for my own personal motivation. B)

Edited by MikeyB08

Got a picture of the front chassis. I belive the steering is functional. Ill be starting on the chassis first thing very soon. Also got a mock up of the body with the wheels. I have to be honest... I'm really considering making a street tuner. But the decals are so awesome. Anyways, as I fight myself, here's the pictures.

IMG_20130823_072245_zpsfc55fb3e.jpg

IMG_20130823_062723_zps1d62e4b2.jpg

IMG_20130823_062740_zps11300192.jpg

IMG_20130823_062750_zps44c9587f.jpg

Thanks fellas. So as far as painting the chassis I've had a rough start. I spilt my silver paint so now I have to order some more.

So interior will be my starting point. Upon further inspection, this kit has more than I expected. It also includes the following: Stock seats, low rise spoiler, and stock steering wheel. Which means this kit can be built as a drifter or your everyday Silvia.

Awesome. Thanks Peter. I've been checking the fit on literally every single piece. Mostly so I know there are no complications when I get to finishing the build.

Thus far the kit is coming together nicely. I'm so use to building Revell models that I'm shocked at how well this kit is going together. I haven't start gluing any parts but some minor painting has been started on the interior.

First thing I focused on was the racing seats. One of my biggest peeves is when the seat belt holes in the back of the seat is filled in. So I went on ahead and cut out/ trimmed the seat belt area so I can put some racing harnesses in. I plan on doing a short How To for removing the filled in area of the seat belt holes.

IMG_20130823_092255_zps6b5a3ffa.jpg

IMG_20130823_093330_zps0bad2f4f.jpg

Found some pretty nasty mold marks on the back of seats. Left (Before)/ Right (After)

IMG_20130823_094702_zps3c78f8a1.jpg

And the interior Mockup:

IMG_20130823_114525_zpse80ae82f.jpg

IMG_20130823_114533_zps8f7d387f.jpg

IMG_20130823_114600_zps2dc854af.jpg

- I will hopefully be picking up my air compressor tomorrow evening so the build may be put on a brief hold so I can practice airbrushing. I've airbrushed a little bit in my art class in high school but my teachers setup was horrible. Thanks again for following the build. Personally, I am excited for it. :P

Well... This build along with my 2 others are moving extremely slow. I'm still gathering my items to begin airbrushing. In the midst of my work week, school started for my better half (so she says :P ), and extreme tiredness, I was able to work on it a little bit. Of course maybe I should have left it alone. Reason I say this is because I ended having 3 of the 4 springs go flying to the great beyond. So I was faced with a decision. Do I make my own replacement springs or go with a street version with mild decals.

After several hours of research and thinking, I decided to go with a Street Tuner path. Here's the wheel stance and window trim painted.

null_zps4ee73bed.jpg

null_zpsd3340146.jpg

null_zps7254950c.jpg

null_zpsbb365a1f.jpg

Got a picture of the front chassis. I belive the steering is functional. Ill be starting on the chassis first thing very soon. Also got a mock up of the body with the wheels. I have to be honest... I'm really considering making a street tuner. But the decals are so awesome. Anyways, as I fight myself, here's the pictures.

IMG_20130823_062723_zps1d62e4b2.jpg

IMG_20130823_062750_zps44c9587f.jpg

Strange coincidence that there are Ramen noodles in the background of a Japanese kit build photo?? Lol I'll be tuned in to this one. I'd probably off myself during the decal process.

• 1 month later...