Model Cars Magazine Forum

My big box of buildups in dispair

post-10166-0-89924900-1377220125_thumb.j

I really need to get into a house so I can build me a new mancave and some display cabinets/shelves for all my model buildups

mine are getting so tore up from being "stored" that I will have to pretty much restore all of them to some degree!

but I guess that's the fun of our hobby build, rebuild again and again

Daniel, check out the cheap Rubbermaid like food containers at Walmart, Target or dollar stores even, often sold also as shoe containers

I get the 6L size is about 14"L x 8"W x 5"D, and often comes in stack of 6 for like $7-8, pretty cheap & large enough for a single model

Edited by Jeremy Jon

thank you Jeremy jon I will have to look into that with a 2 year old we go to the dreaded wally world a few times more often than I like

Daniel, here is a suggestion that could save ya. Since I do shows in different cities , I'll "MAKE " a box from Foam Core . Now , each box is actually cut to fit the individual vehicle . The end flaps are made so as to accommodate a continental kit on the back and so on . In that time , I've actually dropped the box on the floor with the kit inside with NO Damage . See, you also PIN the end flaps closed so as to allow someone to open the box from either end . I guess if you need , I can shoot a picture of what I'm talking about and send it to you .

My dads old collection was stored in even worse conditions than that....now mine they get the protection they need/deserve. Still finding replacement parts for them is a tough challenge many are rare or older 60s era models....thankfully there are a few here that are trying to help me find those needed parts so they can be returned to their glory and put into cases.

i have seen real cars parked like that where i live.lol :D when i go to shows i have to move a lot of models so i bought some clear stackable containers from wallmart and made dividers for the models you can fit a bunch in those and stack'em up i usually put the hardtops on the bottom and the convertibles on top using a piece thin soft foam to separate the top cars from the bottom. i get between 16 and 18 in each container,

I keep my finished models in a display case I made from an old china cabinet. I got the cabinet for free (I have a second bigger one I paid $100 for). The china cabinet has shelves spaced far apart, so once I have enough models to display, I'll add a glass shelf between each existing shelf.

IMG_3010-vi.jpg

Here's my original case. You can get these for free or very cheap at garage sales or on Craig's List.

IMG_3009-vi.jpg

Here's the display case I bought at a second hand store for $100. It breaks down into two parts for transport, but is huge. The laminate on the two curved round panels on the bottom has hazed, so eventually I'll paint it.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Hey, I enjoy rebuilding/restoring old built-ups and glue bombs I find on the cheap at yard sales, swap meets, Craigslist, eBay, etc. I've gotten some great models (many of them otherwise unobtainable annuals) for next to nothing. So if you happen to have any Corvairs Corvettes, or 2nd-gen Camaros in that box, send 'em on up to me. I'll give 'em a good home, and that'll give you more space for other things...

post-10166-0-19449600-1377563033_thumb.j

This huge box is chocked full of ziplock gallon bags with rebuldables lots of fords some mopars few gm's

and the other box is all junkyard / spares parts!

I think i'm in over my head!! big time!

post-10166-0-67117000-1377563134_thumb.j

all these came out of the box of despair! need to duplicate myself so I can get these models on the move to completion!