Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghia/Porsche

ScrappyJ

I've been trying to get back into it after finishing my drag bike. Those that know me, know how much I like the Pro Touring genre and some of you know that I also have an affinity for VWs. So, I thought I would make an attempt at melding the two. Following are some pics of my Porsche-powered VW Ghia. First is some chassis work (all pics are in my Fotki, so some of you may have already seen them through the Fotki feed):

20130620001-vi.jpg

20130620003-vi.jpg

20130620002-vi.jpg

The idea is to reverse the Porsche motor and have it mid-engine for better and more efficient weight distribution:

20130620007-vi.jpg

I made a buck and vacuumed a tonneau for the engine area in place of the rear seat and the convertible:

toneaubuck-vi.jpg

photo7-vi.jpg

20130614004-vi.jpg

20130614003-vi.jpg

20130614006-vi.jpg

I then made a air vent/louver system for the "air cooled" motor:

20130614009-vi.jpg

Edited by ScrappyJ

I appreciate the kind words, Gents!

I also made a chin spoiler and added a brass trim to the lower grill/opening I made. The plan is to polish and plate the trim:

20130624004-vi.jpg

With mesh soldered to the trim:

20130705001-vi.jpg

The chassis with mounting tabs for the upper and lower control arms (used some dirt modeler chassis do-dads):

20130629007-vi.jpg

20130629005-vi.jpg

Edited by ScrappyJ

Thanks, Scott! I appreciate the kind words!

Here is a wider-angle shot of the chassis bolted to the body:

20130616008-vi.jpg

If you look closely in this pic, you can see where the rear fenders were widened for the wider wheels and tires.

Oh...I forgot to mention that the rear bumper had to be widened too. Also, inside the diffuser is where the exhaust tips will be (if I can get it to work). I'll try taking some pics of the exhaust tips, etc. later.

Edited by ScrappyJ

Brass is class.... ;)

I love working with the stuff myself. Your project looks incredible. The Woody I did last winter originally was supposed to be Porsche powered, but got side tracked. I love what your doing here. I see your also doing Porsche headlamps in the Ghia. That looks sweet too. What wheels? Going old school Fuchs, or modern alloy/billet? Color? That tonneau cover is just-right. Wow.... I like this ALOT.

Nice work, looking forward to future updates! B)

Edited by FASTBACK340

Brass is class.... ;)

I love working with the stuff myself. Your project looks incredible. The Woody I did last winter originally was supposed to be Porsche powered, but got side tracked. I love what your doing here. I see your also doing Porsche headlamps in the Ghia. That looks sweet too. What wheels? Going old school Fuchs, or modern alloy/billet? Color? That tonneau cover is just-right. Wow.... I like this ALOT.

Nice work, looking forward to future updates! B)

Thanks, John!

My favorite color is blue and I think I'll add a little clear carbon fiber to the front spoiler, rear diffuser and the tonneau (and possibly some interior parts too), so that the carbon fiber is subtle. I have some modified fuchs from a diecast Maitso notchback. I made some inner and outer rims/sleeves and widened the tires. I'll try getting some pics of those posted later.

Again, thanks for the kind words!

The tires came from a Maitso diecast notchback, but they were a little skinny, so I widened them. I had to cast the tires in resin so that I could widen them and then had to recast then back into rubber (I use a product from Reynolds called Task 14 and it comes out more "rubbery" than most kit tires). In order to get them done, i had to cast two separate molds (the first to make it in resin and then the second for the master). The original mold had he tires set in a plug that I can use to chuck-up in the lathe and machine the tire and separate each half. It wasn't until i was too deep into it that i realized I should have cast three molds (two for the resin tire since it is directional). Here are pics of the masters once I widened (the center is just some type of butyrate plastic I had bought from Small Parts, Inc. and machined to the proper ID and OD:

photo6-vi.jpg

Here are masters for the censors of the Fuchs wheels that I also got from the Maitso diecast:

photo5-vi.jpg

And then the wheels (machined outer and inner sleeves, with cast centers) and cast tires:

20130805003-vi.jpg

20130805004-vi.jpg

20130805005-vi.jpg

I'll try taking some pics later of the resin plug I used for one of the tires and also put the originals next to the new ones for comparative purpose.

I love the idea of the center's being the classic Fuch's design yet modernized with low profile tire's and wider barell's...going to fit the look perfect. Should be pretty cool to see these two style's mixed and I think your going to do it justice. I never really thought about machining plastic pipe to the correct diameter for wheel's....not in a precise way such as a lathe or home made dremel drill lathe thing like I am going to try. Keep up the good work