Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Type 34 Ghia Razor back on the bench

empinut

Finished the interior. Working on the dash and body right now, pics to follow.

Showing the Body how I last left it....had to walk away from it due to the intense prep work, pin hole filling and small trim additions. Body has been re-primered and coated with Tamiya Racing white, but I am in the process of finding the right windows and getting the attachment guides correct.

3 different reds are hard to pick up in the pic....faux fabric red on back deck and carpet, flat red on plastic arm rest of doorpanel and map holders, gloss red for seats and door panel inserts.

Finally decided on BRM rims. with a 3-4 inch lowering job.

I made up a type 3 engine with the fan attached to the front, but the hood does not open due to the heavy, non-consistent thickness of the Resin body.

Wow, another sweet air-cooled build happening! The type 34 Ghia is a favorite of mine since way back. There's one for sale locally thats scruffy, but all there. Unfortunately the price tag is just a bit north of %$#$%^& insane.....

Beautiful so far.... is that the resin version sold by ____-fix? (I can't remember their name....) Beautiful.... What color planned with that red interior? I have a few choices of my own that would look fantastic. Please tell us!

Edited by FASTBACK340

Thanks John.

This is an AirTrax kit, one of the original pops....I think Tapani has cleaned up the newer ones. Lots of work lining up the door panels, rear parcel tray, and dash. That's the nature of working with one off resin kits.

The roof will stay the bright white, I am debating on the second color. Maybe a Tamiya AS light blue or light grey with a clear coat. I also have the AirTrax type 3 notchback and that one is in metallic black so I am staying away from black on the razor type 34.

I have tried to find this kit to buuy and have had no luck. I really want one of these!!!

Kevin

Hey Kevin, All the AirTrax stuff is very low volume. You can get one of their kits by contacting a chap called Tapani Rauramo on raurata@yahoo.com

They are based in Finland, but Tapani's English is very good. You can see some of the kits here.

http://www.hapico.com/00_C/02_24.htm

And here...

http://public.fotki.com/tomcoolidge/scandinavian-resin/dsc00686.html#media

Cool build, Bill! I might need to get me one of these too. I bought the notchback from them, but my work room is so cluttered, I can't even find it. You always have a way with these VW builds, but then the "empinut" name would suggest you would :) .

Hey Kevin, All the AirTrax stuff is very low volume. You can get one of their kits by contacting a chap called Tapani Rauramo on raurata@yahoo.com

They are based in Finland, but Tapani's English is very good. You can see some of the kits here.

http://www.hapico.com/00_C/02_24.htm

And here...

http://public.fotki.com/tomcoolidge/scandinavian-resin/dsc00686.html#media

Thank you for that info! I also want the notchback he has listed. I am going to try to get these if possible as I have wanted them for quite some time. Your response is hugely appreciated!!! :)

Kevin

I have made contact and hope to have enough money shortly to pick up the Ghia and Notch both. I am so looking forward to having these in hand. What was your source for the BRM's I know there is a guy making an amazing set of those but they are really expensive. Especially if you have him completely finish them paint and all. I am still trying to get my dual cab pick up body too, but have been struggling with that for over a year. Wish I could find someone with one they wanted to sell as my purchase source is not coming through for me. The first time I ordered from them they were out. I kept a standing oprder with them but when they got the next order in he did not send me mine and so now they are out again and I got screwed over. I still have a standing order as I do not know of another US source.

Kevin

Thanks for the encouragement guys....this model is challenging me at every turn!

I think I just found the correct size glass to fit the back window. I am testing, trimming as we speak. The 62 Chevy impala front windshield will fit the front with some trimming. I don't have vacuform capabilities.

Pics later today, I've been working on the split window bug.

The BRM rims are from my stash, originally cast by Dennis Chung years ago. The newer BRM's from Japan for sale are roughly about $18-$20 with the same amount for shipping using the current yen conversion.

Picture courtesy of The SAMBA.

Edited by empinut

• 4 weeks later...

Got my V-Dubs in the mail yesterday. I am excited to have them. Now I just have to get some time to get one of them started. I will probably want to start on the Ghia first. They look good, but as you mentioned, will take a lot of work. My Ghia actually came with the front and rear windows so very happy about that. The Notch did not. I am about finished with my present project of a prehistoric Gastornis (terror bird) and Propaleotherium (small horse), so need to stay on them for the time being. Once I get going on this project I will post pics though. Thanks again for the info allowing me to get them ordered and in hand! :)

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great.

What do you plan to use for a pan & engine? I don't know of any production Type 3 models, unless you used one from a die-cast. The Lil' Van has a Type 3 engine, but the fan shroud is wonky. Hmm. kinda looks like a shortened T3 pan also :unsure:

Edited by Zarana-X

Thanks Jason.

I used the pan from the Tamiya beetle. I know it is not correct, there is just too much work to get the chassis to be a perfect T3 considering the side panels are designed to be used for the Tamiya Beetle kit and the very uneven inner surface of the resin body (similar to a Jimmy Flintstone kit). I have over 100 hours in the body as it stands...but that could be my limited skills. :wacko:

The engine with pancake style front fan was scratchbuilt even though the lid does not open. See pics on my fotki labeled empinut and in the earlier posts on this thread.

Body was sprayed Tamiya intermediate blue with clear coat as it goes on semi gloss. almost looks like VW dove blue! :wub: