Model Cars Magazine Forum

Castrol and ford dumping Force

Sounds like the members of the board at BP aren't drag racing fans. I think the'll learn pretty quick about "Win on Sunday, Sell On Monday", plus the fact that US motorsports fans tend to be a rabid bunch when it comes to loyalty to their favortite driver. Drop them as a sponser, they will NOT use the product, no matter how amicable the split was. This is especially true for a longtime sponsor that suddenly drops a driver/team.

To be perfectly honest, I think some bean counter has realized that the company is not making money. So, instead of figuring out where the problem is, they simply cut the largest "unnecessary" expenditure, advertising. Mainly, cut the largest (and in this case, best exposure) contract. It will end biting them in the end as far as US sales are concerned.

I wonder if Force saw it coming, he's been at least partially sponsored by Traxxas and So-Cal Auto Club for a year or so now, they even produce R/C versions of all 4 of his floppers.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/6907funnycar

6907_CF-wheelie-right_m.jpg

Considering the R/C companies pay for licensing to the sponsors just like the plastic model companies do, It's not like they were just spending money on these 1/1 cars when they did get money out of the R/C guys that bought these cars..

Wonder if he will be changing the brand of car the body is made to barely resemble.

I like John Force on a personal level... Hey, the guy IS downright likeable! His enthusiasm for the sport and life in general is contageous. Having said that, I remember a time 10 or more years ago when he drove a Chevy-bodied flopper. At that point I REALLY liked him. So, for me, it's good to see him part ways with the "Blue Offal" brand! :lol:

Like Nick and Carl said all good things eventually come to an end, but look at some of the other big names who have lost lontime sponsorship they always rebound, John surely has the carisma to land another sponsor, he is certainly well liked by the fans, there is someone out there who has a fat pocketbook and is willing to open it, like maybe Toyota or Dodge maybe?? who knows!!

I'm sure John Force won't have any problem finding a new sponsor for his drag team. I think it's a bad move on Castrol's part. The money they save by not sponsoring JFR will more than likely be offset by loss of sales. There are a lot of John Force fans. If they all stop buying Castrol oil, and many of them will (I know I will), they'll take a sizable hit. Good bye Castrol!!

Is Ford only dropping the F/C sponsorship or all pro racing categories? I never did understand why they got out of Pro Stock years ago. That was a stupid move IMO. I was really bummed to see Bob Glidden and others bow out because Ford wouldn't spend the development dollars on new Boss heads. :( There are a handful of Ford Pro Stocks right now. But, I don't think Ford is actually backing them or they weren't at the beginning. I was glad to see Larry Morgan actually qualify and win a round last weekend. He's obviously making some progress. Even if Ford is only dropping F/C sponsorship, it's another stupid move.

Here's an idea for both companies: Instead of cutting sponsorships to save money, cut some money out of your CEO's pay. ;)

I'm sure John Force won't have any problem finding a new sponsor for his drag team. I think it's a bad move on Castrol's part. The money they save by not sponsoring JFR will more than likely be offset by loss of sales. There are a lot of John Force fans. If they all stop buying Castrol oil, and many of them will (I know I will), they'll take a sizable hit. Good bye Castrol!!

Is Ford only dropping the F/C sponsorship or all pro racing categories? I never did understand why they got out of Pro Stock years ago. That was a stupid move IMO. I was really bummed to see Bob Glidden and others bow out because Ford wouldn't spend the development dollars on new Boss heads. :( There are a handful of Ford Pro Stocks right now. But, I don't think Ford is actually backing them or they weren't at the beginning. I was glad to see Larry Morgan actually qualify and win a round last weekend. He's obviously making some progress. Even if Ford is only dropping F/C sponsorship, it's another stupid move.

Here's an idea for both companies: Instead of cutting sponsorships to save money, cut some money out of your CEO's pay. ;)

Ford is withdrawing from all Professional categories of drag racing after the 2014 NHRA season. Force isn't going anywhere. He will either get another sponsor, field his own team or just sell the technology he (and Ford) have developed to the other drivers in FC. The team in this that is really getting dissed is Robert Tasca III. His grandfather practically invented ford drag racing and literally wrote the book Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday.

EDIT: Ford is also looking to redesign the Mustang for the 2015 model year, making it more European in styling.

As far a Castrol, I've never put any other oil in my car or truck because of their support of motorsports and drag racing in particular. Looks like Lucas oil just got a new customer.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

Just curious, anybody here use Castrol only?

We used to use them as a bulk supplier for oil change services, but when the contract ended, we went to Valvoline. In my own vehicles, I only use Valvoline, 10w30 Conventional in my Blazer, 20w50 VR-1 in my '55 3200.

Here's the answer. When '14 ends, Force will add Morgan Lucas in T/F as a team car to weak suck Brattney and it will become an all-Lucas Oil / MAV TV outfit covering T/F and T/FC.

Money is then unlimited and pro drag racing will become Don Schumacher vs. Forrest Lucas. Forget every one else winning an event except Al-Anabi (if the sheik doesn't fold his cards).

You read it here first.

Don't really care one way or the other

1- I can't say I've ever bought a product because just some one else endorses it. so that part is meaning less to me

2 - I met JF once, and honestly don't care if I ever do so again... Maybe he was having a bad day , maybe not. but he came off to me as a tad bit full of himself.

IMO, his ego is almost as fat as his bank account.

my 2 cents

I haven't met him but that is my dream, I doubt we'll stop using castrol because it is a great product but I'm pretty disappointed they didn't stay with force until he retired. I think Chevrolet might pick him back up which being a chevy guy that would be awesome and also that's who he started racing with until late 70's early 80's when he switched to ford

I haven't met him but that is my dream, I doubt we'll stop using castrol because it is a great product but I'm pretty disappointed they didn't stay with force until he retired. I think Chevrolet might pick him back up which being a chevy guy that would be awesome and also that's who he started racing with until late 70's early 80's when he switched to ford

I don't think it's possible for anyone to compete in any of the nitro categories without a hemi of some sort. Unless Chevy follows Ford and develops a hemi for drag racing then you won't see them in the winners circle. A Chevy big block can run with anything on gas or alky, but it just can't take the abuse of nitro. That is the opinion of a professional observer.

Dale

I like John Force on a personal level... Hey, the guy IS downright likeable! His enthusiasm for the sport and life in general is contageous. Having said that, I remember a time 10 or more years ago when he drove a Chevy-bodied flopper. At that point I REALLY liked him. So, for me, it's good to see him part ways with the "Blue Offal" brand! :lol:

Yeah, it'll be nice to see Shoe running all those so called Dodge bodied floppers. Say, where all the ol Impala's anymore? Tped and Densham drove 'em when nobody else would let 'em have an "also ran" body :lol: Now Jim Head would rather drive a Toyota and Wilk has gone to a Ford. All Chevy has are the Nitro Coupes in the Super Chevy Show. And before you brand me blue, I owned a '68 Camaro, a '66 GTO and a

68 Road Runner. If you like one manufacturer too much, you end up getting bailed out by Uncle Sam..