Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Merc Pro Mod (Update October 19)

ScaleDale

Beautiful! I miss seeing this car. A buddy of mine, Paul Athey, used to drive this car back when it was orange! He always says that it was the most fun to drive/have. He even says it beats out his most recent 41 willys! Haha

I looked at all of the Mohegan Sun cars and the orange 49 was my favorite. It's the inspiration for this build and the paint scheme. The Willys is an awesome car. Paul is a lucky guy to drive such a wild car.

There are photos online of the crew doing the starting line routine in Native headdresses and garb. Was that a regular thing?

Dale

I've been tied up in the details of this project so I thought I should get an update posted.

The chassis is in the clean up and detail stage and I finished the suspension and got it all installed. The front end is from Future Attraction as is the 4 Link and 9 Inch Ford rear end. The front wheels I am using are flat on the inside and I had to pop the outside half of the calipers off to get them to fit. The back fit with everything intact. The pins sticking out of the front struts will be trimmed off when the time comes for that. They hold things together.

I decided to make my own rack and pinion steering from styrene rod and steel tubing from RB Motion. It turned out OK. The interior is a mish mash of stuff from the parts box. It needs to be touched up but is in pretty good shape. I decided to leave the pedals and Lenco shifter factory chrome because they are so small that they tend to get lost in the chrome stripping and painting process,

The body is still in the sand, fill and repeat stage. Every time I think I can paint I find another flaw that needs two days work or more. I found the hood lines distracting and filled them with epoxy putty.

Here are the updated chassis pics.

6n70.jpg

o1hx.jpg

h3go.jpg

e1ot.jpg

I have another eye appointment tomorrow but shouldn't be out of the loop for more than a day.

See you all soon and thanks for tuning in.

Dale

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I had my eye "procedure" yesterday and should be back in the shop tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can dig up the odds and ends I need to finish the engine like the oil system and radiator. I have headers ready but I need to test fit them. You know how that can go...;) The good news is that the drive shaft fits!

Dale

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of work!!!

This is going to be so excellent when you finish it.

I'm massively impressed.

Thanks for the comment.

I've been forking on detailing the motor in ways I don't usually bother with after finding some Detail Master braided hose in my stuff box. Been adding a fuel system, oil lines and a distributer. It's all delicate so I just work a bit and let it set up for a day or two and go back. The body's ready for paint but I need to make sure the windshield fits right first so I don't have to handle it a lot after the paint job. Need to install the engine to do that... Domino theory of model building.

Dale

• 4 weeks later...

Been detailing the chassis and messing with my 1:1 Mustang project, but this is where I am now.

I built this shield thing out of scrap balsa wood for the three tone paint I wanted to do and this is how it worked out. It let me paint and lightly sand each color one at a time without building up a lot of paint layers. It's a bit rough in finish and needs sanding and a clear coat. I wound up not liking the color transitions and added a free hand shot of red to make it a bit hotter and more organic in the blending of colors. I'll show that later.

95gs.jpg

7b4u.jpg

7m0e.jpg

88n0.jpg

Thanks for your time.

Dale

Sweet paint fade...

Thanks. I tried it freehand on my sacrificial 55 Chevy Pro Sportsman and didn't do a good job. I just seem to need a lot of structure to make stuff like this work.

this is awesome. i like how you design your chassis

Thanks. I tried it freehand the first time and it didn't work out very well. I just seem to need a lot of structure to make stuff like this work. (No joke here)

Dale