Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Split window

empinut

I waited to start this until I heard what the new ROG VW releases would be.

Now that we know they are not going to be a split window or oval window, I am moving forward with this project.

Based on a 1/24 1966 beetle from Hasegawa.

note...why couldn't ROG just take the plans from the 1/16 split window and downsize to 1/24? duh.

Very nice start. I'm sure you're aware there are a lot more differences in the split-window bodies (the height of the side windows and windshield being big ones). Really looking forward to seeing this come together. :)

Is the Mr. Hobby / Gunze oval-window kit still available?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks Bill. I'm an "eyeball engineer" kind of guy so if you know of more big picture differences (like the window height) that are really obvious, let me know. I'm following pics from SAMBA and Hot VW's and other VW blogs to pick up on the differences. I already added material to the top of the windshield and worked on the roof slope above it. The side windows still need the material added, I just took off the wing windows. Hey I grew up in the 70's in California...wing windows were always the 1st thing to come off after the hubcaps and oil bath air cleaner!

I had this extra Hasegawa body laying around and did not want to buy a Gunze (getting pricey!) because that kit has its own issues...front windshield/rubber thing, bottom of all 4 fenders are off, etc. This isn't supposed to be perfection, just as close as I can get with my skillset.

Thanks Wayne, the glass was not easy to work with, I used an extra Gunze oval window glass insert I had in my parts bin as a guide to mark the Hasegawa window then drilled dozens of tiny pinholes to open it up. The vent grille is next. If anything goes haywire I'm bailing. Not sure if I can get all 20 vents on each side...I may have to cheat on a few. Don't hold it against me. It would probably be a lot easier to just start with the Gunze kit.

Worked on the engine vents, half way done.

Added "rubber" to bottom of taillights that are sized down from the out of scale Pyro Beetle. They are not permanently glued on yet.

Used permanent marker to outline split window "rubber".

Working on adding more material to the "W" decklid to make it fit better. Cast by a fellow VW nut.

May or may not use this chassis that has a lowered and narrowed front beam, custom made "crableg" fuchs.

post-482-0-29293100-1377643312_thumb.jpg

Cool! I've always wondered why no manufacturer has ever done a split window in 1/24 or 1/25 scale! It's a subject they could easily sell Internationally.

I've always planned on building one from the Gunze oval window. I think all the VW kits have issues, so I'm better off not knowing since I didn't notice them myself!

Thanks.

Crab leg Fuch's on the front are handmade, you can see how on a tutorial I made that is located on my fotki labeled empinut.

The best Fuchs to start with for the center section are the Revell pink 68 beetle that was issued in 1987. This is the very first Revell issue with Fuchs and the mold is very tight. The subsequent reissues ...the pink sedan in 1994 and the turquoise convert show wear on the molds as the chrome shows the sink marks. The 1987 issue shows no sink marks. The Heb in the picture has the later issue with the sink marks. I have been stockpiling the non-sink mark Fuchs. I'll show my progress soon. The rim hoops for the front are from the Polar Light funny car front rims with the center ground out.

I blackened them with ink pens found in the art dept.

Here is a split update.

Finished installing the rear vent slats, added an extra row.

Rear 'W' decklid adjusted for fitment and temporarily taped from the inside.

Front window and door windows have been downsized. Working on downsizing quarter windows next.

• 2 weeks later...

Primer update.

lots of massaging, followed by Tamiya white primer.

I am ok with the front windshield, rear split window and vents, but need more work on the side windows.

Door windows have been reduced enough, but I need to shape them, adding that "roll - in" type of edge.

Not happy with quarter windows, I added material to make them smaller, but the body size is still too big. Will add material and start over.

Also next, fill the fender turn signal holes and make B pillar semaphores.

Test fitted the early, split bumpers mastered by Guido of ScaleKraft back in the day.

How would these questions relate to this split window post?

Chances of their existence are not very high based on comments on various boards by people in the know that have been posted. If they were around they might have been used? Years ago bob paeth told me it was 1963 based.

The kit is easily found daily on eBay. Are you looking to build one or convert it to a split window?. I built one pictured in my fotki...empinut....it was not an easy kit to build. Nice front fenders, hood, roof skin and chassis pan engraving, but wrong rear wheel well openings, doors, quarter windows and "butterdish" engine/tranny detail. Headlights were way off but inside mirror, pedal cluster, door handles and dash are nice.

How would these questions relate to this split window post?

Chances of their existence are not very high based on comments on various boards by people in the know that have been posted. If they were around they might have been used? Years ago bob paeth told me it was 1963 based.

The kit is easily found daily on eBay. Are you looking to build one or convert it to a split window?. I built one pictured in my fotki...empinut....it was not an easy kit to build. Nice front fenders, hood, roof skin and chassis pan engraving, but wrong rear wheel well openings, doors, quarter windows and "butterdish" engine/tranny detail. Headlights were way off but inside mirror, pedal cluster, door handles and dash are nice.

2nded. The IMC kit is worse than the Revell Beetles. I was given one to rebuild, but havn't touched it because of the work involved just to fix the way it looks. I'd rather build a Tamiya one.

And to Bill. Nice work on the conversion. I'm unfamiliar with the Hasegawa Beetle, but I know they have quality kits. Can't wait to see the finished version.

Edited by Zarana-X

Don't get mad at us for drifting a little in our questions raised by your amazing build here, Bill. My mind goes to all sorts of wondering as I watch your work progress and learn from your comments ... I love all sorts of Beatles too.

I came on this thread on Samba that shows more Beetle kits than I knew existed and might give someone some answers ... just forgive me for inserting it here ... ^_^

I'm loving your build!!

Beautiful work on the "Bug" ! I really like where you are going with this. Fine work on the rear window & vents!

I see the Gunze Sangyo/Mr Hobby "56 oval window kits on EBay all the time.Great kit & I have a couple in the collection.

Arrii/LS has a beautiful Split window kit in 1/32 scale that I also see a lot of on EBay. I also have a few of these in the collection.

Got some quality time on the bench, think I fixed the quarter windows. Pics later when primer dries.

Eugene....nice custom lowered 1/1 bug...do you miss it? I rebuilt a 64.5 type 3 notchback S with sunroof in the mid eighties in SoCal with the help of legends like Gene Berg. It had original sprint stars (no remakes then!) and one of the last imported German made, brand new engine cases for the bottom end. I'll post pics with my AirTrax notch that is almost done. Wish I never sold it!!!!

John, thanks for the kind words.

Chris, thanks for questions on IMC beetle. That is kit has the best box art!

Jason, thanks. The hasegawa beetles are nice but seem just a tad large for 1/24 if you place the gunze oval next to it. Or maybe the gunze is smallish? The hasegawa has its own issues but they are a little easier to overcome. Taking off the engine lid with minimal damage is a bear.

Mike, thanks. Not mad, just want to keep the topic on track. I love the talk of all vw's! Thanks for the SAMBA jump, I have been a follower since day one.

Scott, thanks. You ought to do a kit review in the other section on the arii/ls split window. The engraving looks nice, but I have never seen one close up. There are some cool 1/32 race and stock Porsche parts out there now to customize this "outcast" size.

This is a really interesting build to follow!!!! Looking forward to the finished result.

Below are pic's of the 3 split's I've built from the Gunze Oval.

The grey one and the fenderless rod are beckdated to 1938 KdF-specs while the copper/pink one is supposed to be a 1949/51 mix:

033.jpg

218.jpg

118.jpg