Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Nissan 1/12 Skyline GTR, Is it really worth this much?

I found another kit which I missed on release and did not know existed until today. Does anyone know what this kit usually sells for, is it really worth the asking price? Knowing Fujimi I'm sure the quality is outstanding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujimi-Nissan-BNR-GT-R32-VeilSide-Combat-1-12-scale-model-Kit-/380701276758?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=n5ueD7r%252BS%252ByUGPL4Wg8HkgrkYCU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

it sounds a bit on the expensive side. In Taiwan, where I am located, there are still odd one floating around and they go for about 150 US dollars but they are regular version with the BBS wheels. I saw this Veilside one before, they are quite rare. Fujimi quality on the big scale is a lot better than their 24 scale offering. Recently i seen one in a model meet. It does look impressive but the engine room looks quite bare with no detailing done. The owner said is a good kit to built but the one big problem is the doors are bit fragile. To me, well worth a try. I might look into getting one in the future after I clear some of my big scale out first.

I just started one a few days ago. Here's some photos that show some of the "more important" parts. I did a partial engine mock-up so you could get a better idea of how it looks. Only about 150 parts,but the fit and quality seems to be excellent. A lot of it actually screws together,but the screws seem to be in out of the way places that won't show when finished.I haven't done too much for cleanup of parts yet so what you see is "off the tree" with various primers. I haven't personally seen the Revell 1/12 Mustang,but from what I've heard about it,I would say this is very similar in fit and finish to that kit. I won mine a couple weeks ago for about $150 shipped from France to US.It's just the stock version,no body kit. For that price,I think it's worth it. I wouldn't pay much more than that though,definately not $300-$600 that I've seen it listed for. Hope this helps and if you have any more questions or want more pics,let me know. I may start a WIP on this one...

post-8897-0-96491500-1377554112_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-57297200-1377554161_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-23542800-1377554188_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-19245000-1377554258_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-53194500-1377554288_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-43971100-1377554311_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-61175500-1377554337_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-02313500-1377554373_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-01962000-1377554401_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-23746800-1377554659_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-76132500-1377554701_thumb.jp

Wow Krat!!!!! That looks great!!! Everything looks so crisply molded, real rubber tires. Very, very nice!!!!! I would love to see whatever pics or WIP thread you happen to do. Until then I will stay on the lookout. I am in the process of building the Revell Mustang that you mentioned and I am extremely pleased with it so far so if I am enjoying that this GTR will be an absolute must have. Thank you!!

There are about 5 different versions based on that skyline GT, Both street and racing cars. The Veilside version is pretty nice too; and would make a great "fast & furious" style car, and of course has the veilside body kit as well. The racing versions like the Calsonic have racing body work, and interiors...all pricey; but build up nice; and you just NEVER see one built at a model show..............Matt

If it helps, here the one I saw a few weeks ago. this is the version with the BBS wheels and stock body. The car does look impressive. The only thing that did not impress me is how bare the engine room looks since this model is big. When doing these kits, really need to detail them.

There are about 5 different versions based on that skyline GT, Both street and racing cars. The Veilside version is pretty nice too; and would make a great "fast & furious" style car, and of course has the veilside body kit as well. The racing versions like the Calsonic have racing body work, and interiors...all pricey; but build up nice; and you just NEVER see one built at a model show..............Matt

Was one of them a Reebok racing theme? That comes to me in memory as a 1/12 scale that I remember possibly produced by the same company, it was gorgeous!!

Looks like this... http://www.drccentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19544

Bought the same R32 kit as Kratvmnd, about 10 years ago for about $80, at my LHS (still mint in box in my stock!), was stuned to see the low parts count for such a big kIt, was expecting a Tamiya 1/12th killer kit car (with at least 250+ parts), espacilally with the choice of the legendary R32 at this scale.

Fujimi took the easy assembly/low parts count route for this large 1/12th kit (reminds me a bit of the Monogram 1/12th kit type), as mention the engine is pretty bare, as well as the chassis, & interior, bare but mostly accurate (tires are stunning) a nice piece when completed, seen a few finished ones in model car contests. Indeed a Veilside "Tokyo Tuner" (R32's were surely the "Queens" of Jap Tunning back then) type & Racing versions were also made a bit later.

Not a bad kit: very easy to assemble & very good looking when completed of this legendary Japanese coupe...you'll like it, but getting any versions at a good (reasonable!!!) price is harder then ever :o

When (IF?) Fujimi reissues any versions of this kit ...expect a hefty price tag :rolleyes:

this kit does seem like to be made like a Revell Kit with low parts count. I have a Jaguar E Type 1/8 in my stash to build for a friend, it also have a very low parts count for a such big piece. But being big makes it easy to modify and detail.

I have a couple of the R32 versions from the original release about 10-15 years ago. They are nice kits, I paid about $125 for them then, and I have only started the Calsonic. The biggest problem I ran into was with crumbling decals. I was able to get a replacement set from Fujimi, and then after applying them I decided to clearcoat with Future rather than any kind of paint. The Future is pretty inert and can be laid over fragile decals. If Fujimi is re-releasing these cars it's hopeful they are producing new, fresh decals.

6-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

095-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by deja-view

LOL. I'm not going to do anything different with the Calsonic, other than add a little detail where it might need it. But I have a very interesting theme in mind for the other R32 that involves custom made decals and a little body modifying. It will be a one of a kind.

Of course, this all depends on me getting my work area set up after my move from Las Vegas to Northern California. The move is done, but I can't seem to get my space under control so I can get everything unpacked, set up, and cleared off to work.