Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Dodge Lil Red Truck '78

I have bought AMT 1978 Dodge Lil Red Truck to built accurate model, but I found several problems:

- is engine really 360 police special?

- model has floor shifter and manual transmission

- tranny should be automatic with column shifter

- tail lights should be round not square

- air cleaner is missing air tubes

- wrong side mirror brackets

- tailgate is asymmetrical and decals do not fit

I was really surprised about those imperfections. What do you think?

It is still possible to built it right or convert it to Midnite Express but where to get decals?

Edited by Sportabout

I haven't looked myself but I believe the things you list.

Note that this kit was released in 1978 and is the last of the Dodge pickup line that spanned through the 1970s. Back then model companies were selling kits mainly to kids, so they weren't all that careful with minor details. You may even find a kit that has an automatic transmission but a clutch pedal in the interior. The good part is that most of what you listed can be fixed by swapping in the correct parts. I'm sure the guys here will assist in identifying sources for those parts.

Modifying Lil Red is not a problem but I think it is better idea to built rarer Midnite Express. It has 440 cubic inch 4BBL V8, A-727 automatic, black color and different decals. I made Midnite decals using autocad and next I send them to my friend to print with Alps-printer. Hope they succeed.

Kari ; let me recommend the following kits and their respective parts :

- AMT 1971 Charger R/T (for its TorqueFlite automatic transmission , dual snorkle air cleaner , and power brake booster / master cylinder)

- AMT 1971 Duster 340 (for its close-enough-to-a-360 engine (change oil pan to the truck / van style)

Mate the engine from the Duster to the Transmission of the Charger , paint the appropriate colours , and have fun !