Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cal Drag Combo

I just picked up this kit in a collection I purchased, I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere. Does any one know any thing about it. I have been building and collecting kits for over 40 years and I have never seen it before. The kit is complete only some damage to the decals.

post-4535-0-79311200-1377555072_thumb.jp

post-4535-0-85071400-1377555089_thumb.jp

post-4535-0-80524200-1377555106_thumb.jp

post-4535-0-34992500-1377555123_thumb.jp

Edited by Drag Monster

There your a couple of this sets in I believe early 60`s or late 60`s. There was a chevy team with a 63 Nova wagon with a chevy 2 on trailer this one there your also a couple with speed boats. I seen this kit go for 400 bucks or more I have a couple in my collection but they have them from when I was a kid so I didn`t pay the big bucks great find.

John Pol

Fellas,

Now you talk about a candidate for a reissue ? A Ford vs. Chevy Match Race series...How about throwin' a Dodge/Plymouth team in there ? A '67 Charger tow car w/trailer and a rear engined 'cuda drag car maybe ?

I sense shades of an R & C Super Stock article , circa 1963..........................

Most of the racing team sets were issued in '67 and '68, including that one. Not many department stores carried the sets because of the higher price. A lot of the ones I have seen on eBay have been messed with (cars or trailer replaced with later issue items) but this one appears to be all original. The decal sheet in this one is unique. Sometimes one or both of the cars in a set were available as individual kits alongside the set. In those cases, the set usually had the sheet from one of the separate kits. Good score!

I have seen the Chevelle/Impala and Nova/Nova wagon combo before. But, have never seen the Galaxie/Falcon combo before! I'll usually build anything regardless of age/rarity. But, even I couldn't bring myself to build that kit. That is one great score! These would be some cool kits for Round2 to reissue! The Impala/Chevelle combo would sell like hot cakes!

A few of these kits had been reissued in past years (seperatly), so possible to recreate most of the original combos, not all ('63 Nova Wagon) but many, most of them would/are still available, "Fang Tang" team one of my favorite combos, both the '68 Shelby & '69 Galaxie available now or not so long ago.

As already mention, Round2 should seriously think about reissuing those racing combos in original '67 to '69 AMT racing combo boxes, (including the 70's Chevy Van & Ford PU race combo ones) would be hot sellers for sure.

I believe there was also a combo with a 53/56 Ford pick up with a trailer and an AC Cobra.

That's interesting. That was probably the basis for the "Diamond in the Rough " combination kit that featured the quad axle trailer from the 60 Chevrolet Apachie , the 53 Ford F-100 and of course the mangled Ford in the 80's ......................