Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cal Drag Combo

Looks like all the stock parts are there but the body (and glass?). I'd think it would be worth the investment to either convert that body back to stock, or tool up an all-new one.

Yep; that's one that I've been waiting a few decades in the hope that it'd happen!

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2017 at 4:28 PM, pack rat said:

It's actually the '64 Cutlass annual kit with the modified body as used in the funny car version, minus the funny car bits.  

The AWB chassis for the Olds F-85 AWB kit is the same as used with the Unreal Edsel and '65 Chevelle, correct? Is it different from the chassis used under the AWB '65 Mustang, "Rat Packer" Chevy II/Nova,  Falcon AWB, and/or Tempest AWB cars, too?

14 hours ago, Casey said:

The AWB chassis for the Olds F-85 AWB kit is the same as used with the Unreal Edsel and '65 Chevelle, correct? Is it different from the chassis used under the AWB '65 Mustang, "Rat Packer" Chevy II/Nova,  Falcon AWB, and/or Tempest AWB cars, too?

The F-85/Edsel/Chevelle used one chassis, the Nova/Tempest used another.  The Barracuda and Corvair use a common chassis.  The Falcon, Mustang, and '67 Cyclone each had their own chassis.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The F-85/Edsel/Chevelle used one chassis, the Nova/Tempest used another.  The Barracuda and Corvair use a common chassis.  The Falcon, Mustang, and '67 Cyclone each had their own chassis.

Thanks, Mark. I figured John specifically mentioned those three together for a reason.

• 4 months later...
On 12/24/2014 at 2:02 PM, kataranga said:

I'd be happy if Round 2 somehow had these box art painting stashed somewhere and could release prints of them. Some are downright gorgeous!

^This. Not even interested in building the Craftsman '63 Impala...chevelledragteam.jpg.e765bad278048b606e83a931a66caf85.jpgchevelledragteam2.jpg.e2483aba4a5f4da668c328a116804d5c.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

^This. Not even interested in building the Craftsman '63 Impala...chevelledragteam.jpg.e765bad278048b606e83a931a66caf85.jpgchevelledragteam2.jpg.e2483aba4a5f4da668c328a116804d5c.jpg

Picture from an eBay listing?  The Impala here is a later issue, the one in this kit did not have an engine or a separate hood...

On 2/19/2017 at 6:21 PM, Mark said:

It was in the '68 kits, then skipped the next few years and reappeared in the '73 Caprice.  It stayed in the big Chevy through '76.  Besides the big Chevies, it was used in the Mako Shark (only the original, not any of the derivative versions) and the Carl Casper Turbo Shark (a custom '63-'67 style Corvette that used the Mako Shark chassis).

This trailer's heritage from 1960-62 AMT pickup kits with added parts.

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

I just wish AMT would do the 2 axle trailer kit by itself..... I'd buy a dozen..... 

Keep a saved search on ebay for "AMT Service trailer" or "Blueprinter service trailer". They pop up often. I have bought them for as little as $15 US. They also pop up at shows frequently. Usually they sell for between $25 and $40. Just have to keep an eye out for them. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lucky 130 said:

I may have missed it but does anyone know when R2 is going to release the "Drag combo"?

The AMT Cal Drag Combo should be out in late Q1 2021 or so. Some places say 1/31, others February and March.

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2014 at 2:36 PM, 1962Savoy said:

Here a picture of other rare combo kits everyone would love to see reissued.

post-13518-0-71819300-1393619761_thumb.j

post-13518-0-00619200-1393619766_thumb.j

post-13518-0-73379600-1393619771_thumb.j

One a current release, another a soon-to-be-reissued, and the Nova combo...?

Here's are John Gruszcela (may have butchered that) comments from 2015 regarding the viability of the AMT combo kits:

Daniel says:

cal-Drag combo?

Chevelle drag team?

Indy Drag combo?

Shelby Drag team?

• 3f026dcbd498b0646901a4a49aa15a31?s=32&d=JohnG says:

Cal Drag Combo: not beyond the realm of possibility but the trailer would require some backdating at the very least.

Chevelle Drag Team: can’t reissue as the Chevelle Time Machine AWB was modified into the modified stocker. The AWB chassis used under the Chevelle, Olds F-85 and Edsel “funny cars” was not found.

Indy Drag combo: can’t reissue as the Nova wagon was modified into the Boss Nova drag vehicle.

Shelby Drag Team: some comments on trailer, ’68 Shelby missing several original parts.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

20220305-185231.jpg

Just got mine today ... at my local Wal-mart ... and they never had model kits before .

Total price ... $ 24.95 !!!

I don't care for the two piece styrene drag tires, but the rest is all "groovy" ! 

According to the box, the release date was 10/ 13 / 21 , but I haven't seen them until now.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

Yea, the have 4 more... but not for long. My wife was with me when I purchased mine, so I couldn't "hoard" them all.

But, she won't be with me tomorrow.    L O L !!! 

You shouldve hid the other 3 so they'll be there for you to buy them haha 

• Like 1