Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cal Drag Combo

I think at today's rates, asking price for that combo would be on the far side of $50. Airplane guys are now used to dropping that on a kit, but I'm not sure that most car guys are...even though this is the equivalent of three (or at least two and a half) kits.

Would I buy it? Prolly not. I have two of the Model King Falcons, at least two (maybe three) of the Blueprinter Service Trailers, and one of the repopped '64 Fords, so I already "have" this whole set, more or less. But if I didn't have them (particularly the Falcon), I'd prolly save my nickels and dimes for it....

Back in the late '80s or early '90s, AMT did at least one "Diamond in the Rough" multi-set which included the '53 Ford pickup, Service Trailer, and a '39 or '40 Ford Tudor with some damaged body panels. I don't remember why I bought one of these unless it was mainly for the trailer, as I have ZERO interest in a Tudor, especially a damaged one, but there it sits in my stash.

Were there any other multi-kits in the "Diamond in the Rough" series?

Back in the late '80s or early '90s, AMT did at least one "Diamond in the Rough" multi-set which included the '53 Ford pickup, Service Trailer, and a '39 or '40 Ford Tudor with some damaged body panels. I don't remember why I bought one of these unless it was mainly for the trailer, as I have ZERO interest in a Tudor, especially a damaged one, but there it sits in my stash.

Were there any other multi-kits in the "Diamond in the Rough" series?

nope.

It would be nice to see the Nova wagon kits out again, however..... Just as the Chevelle has be changed into the Modified Stocker, the Nova wagon was cut up into the Bossanova drag car that was reissued by the model king a number of years ago. It's to bad some of these combo kits can't be re-issued, those are some of my favorite releases from the 60's, both in subject and box art.

As stated in my above post, the Chevelle has been permanently changed in to the Modified Stocker. Unless Round2 would see a high demand for this kit and deem it profitable to tool up a new body, glass, etc... (highly doubtful) We will probably never see the Chevelle released as anything other than the Modified.

Edited by Phirewriter

AMT%20T357-300%20IndyDragVG+.JPG

Hmmm. I have this...

july2012003.jpg,

which is a clean unpainted built-up, that I am going to combine with the Replicas and Miniatures "Chevy 6", as the car had no engine.

Or else, I can do the one I built several years ago,

1963NovaModels3_zpsdb083496.jpg

Which is a F&F resin piece, in which I installed a 327 V8/4-speed combo with Halibrands and Blue Streaks from the Revell 32 Highboy. I have a trailer, as well as a '65 Nova "Rat Packer" kit I could team it up with, or I could team it up with a "Boss Nova" wagon.

Thanks Greg for posting this.

Edited by Ron Hamilton