Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Honda NSX

mitchell

on a mission to clear some of the big boxes in my house. So next up after the 935 is this vintage Rosso 1/12 Honda NSX. A very impressive piece that I picked up a while ago and this one will not never be reissue anymore. A very detail and impressive kit even Honda is not my favorite subject. Got the main body painted already and now working on the engine. Here are some picture of the assemble engine with detailing to follow.

right now it is. The only thing that I will add will be hoses and wiring. Other than that, it's all from the kit and get this, it's mostly snap together with only a few parts that needed to be glued. And the pain is the butt part is it is ABS plastic.

Mitchell, this is definitely a cool build. I have a few of the Rosso 1/43 NSXs. They are amazing little jewels. Never new this was basically a 'snap' style kit. The detail is quite impressive. You are the first person that I have seen actually building this kit. LOL

too bad to what happen to Rosso. The details of the whole car is more superior than Tamiya. Especially in the engine casting. But in closer review of the steps, Rosso still like missed some details that I have to build it into the kit, such as the water hoses for the engine and the small radiator in the rear. But the whole kit is impressive and too bad that Rosso burnt to the ground. This kit is definitely a collector grade item even if the subject is not that exotic. Here is a picture of the start of the wiring process, and the engine need a lot of wires.

this kit is definitely a collector's item, but I hate collecting model in a box, I rather have the thing built and on display. Since this might be the only one I will be building, i might do something special with it. Still thinking about how to get it done. The motor and the wiring is fairly simple and straightforward. Hard to make it accurate but it will look busy with all the wiring and plumbing.

got the front and rear uprights almost done today. Added a PE Disc surface for the brakes. Scrubbed it out. I like the way it look on the car. One of the more impressive bits of this kit is the brakes and studs for mounting the rims.

did the center console today. we are in a shortage of tamiya black paint in taiwan right now, so can't really finish the rest of the panels. Still looking at the model and thinking what else can be done up on it. The center console is a real magic piece of this kit, Every button is there and it does look very sharp.

These Rosso kits are nice. They also produced a Nissan 300ZX in 1/12 (don't know why they didn't do a 240Z instead). I have had one sitting while I collect reference pics for about 15 years. The only thing that's a negative is the pre-colored body in red. I want to do mine in yellow, but I have a feeling the red will bleed through. About 1997 or so there was a builder from Southern California who brought this model to quite a few contests. His detailing was impeccable, along with nice touches like working lights and a great display base. He won "Best of Show" several times and I'm pretty sure the car was featured in SAE and/or other pubs.

If I knew how to make the extra body add-ons I'd try a race version like the Mugen or Raybrig GT cars.

Mitchell; your engine is looking great.

Edited by deja-view

Your build looks good so far. I want one of those kits so bad. At one time I sold Acuras, and I remember the Night I sold a Black NSX we had in stock. It was one beautiful car. We gave the customer quite a thrill when I turned the car around in the showroom and pointed it to the door, and got out and let him drive it off of the showroom floor. He was grinning from ear-to-ear. Those were some beautiful driving cars too.

Thanks for the comments. I think when one is building the model, then one will understand the complication in one car. This Honda is a very complicated machine and this kit shows it well. Even with great details, it still lack many small and important details such as the wiring and even some components, I will do my best to add those details in. Plus these big kits give me a lot of room to put some fun stuff in too. will be thinking about how to make this kit stand out once the basics are done. The chassis is basically together now. So I started adding more wiring and plumbing into the engine last night. Did the 4 pipes from the throttle body last night. here is how it look.

• 1 month later...

Been busy doing other stuff at the moment so not spending that much time on this one. But the basic body and chassis is together. Now, just have to finalize some of the details. Here is a look at what I want to do to it.

Edited by mitchell

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mitchell,

great build. I was curious about your comment about the R wheels. I just got my kit in a auction from japan and its on its way. I'd really like to change the wheels and do some work to make it a NA2 NSX. I can do the body work and the head lights, but the bubble lights and wheels and tires are much more work. do you have any suggestions on where to find these parts?

I was also curious how you did the lables on the center cluster as wells as it looks like some lables on the accesorries belt. did you do that by hand or find some decals to put together.

thanks in advance.

j

For reply, a friend a of mine in Taiwan is building a few NSX on commission and one of them is to convert it to a Early R. he casted the wheels and the seat already and maybe I have an option to change it to early R typre wheels just for different taste. But since it is early type R, i don't think he made the later style bubble headlight. I can ask if you are interested.

Regarding the labels on the center console and on the belts, it is just detail painting.

• 1 month later...