Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Monogram Slingster Dragster

Casey

Chris, that's a very nice build, and perhaps some sort of world-wide first posting a completed model. The size comparisons are a real eye opener, especially confirming the relative correctness to other 1/25th models vs. the absolutely huge (1/20th?) original! It also should help allay fears that many had that this kit would be more toy than contemporary model. I think Revell has done a fine job of splitting the difference and this kit will serve as a good source for more detailed and realistic period-correct drag builds!

Edited by Bernard Kron

...So Bernard (and anybody else with any interest), question for ya - we don't know the width yet, but otherwise, whatcha think of the possible applications of that beam axle for one of the Deuces?

The nose piece makes the car look "clunky" and reminds me of the "Slingshot" Dragster kit. What do you think?

The spring looks thin enough and doesn't have too much arch and the beam axle looks to have plenty of drop and good definition, so it's a "definite maybe". There are those two funky tab thingies but they look like they would be easily removable. My only concern is that this is a pretty specialized kit and stealing a front axle from it might leave you with a relatively useless box 'o parts... As you indicate, the axle width will be an important issue.

These days I'm pretty comfortable with the '29/'30 RPU/Sedan kits from Revell as a kit-based beamed axle source for the Revell Deuces. Perhaps more fiddly than I'd like but they have nicely detailed front axles, posable steering, good looking chromed brake backing plates, and some handsome chromed rear axle tubes that mate up very well with various Halibrand quick changes for a show-car suspension. The kits also come with those nice whitewall tires and steelies and some often neglected/overlooked narrow mags that scream gasser to me. You also get a very well detailed Model A front cross member and buggy spring rear suspension if you want to go all the way to building a period correct '40's style Deuce from the Revell 1/25th Deuce frame rails. There are lots of other nice detailed parts (like much of the steering bits, etc.), so I don’t even feel too bad about neglecting the well turned out bodies...

I'm actually intrigued by how well detailed much of the Slingster is and how much is already there to do a classic turn-of-the-decade late 50's/early 60's digger or competition coupe. The hairpins, for example, are really quite successful to my eyes, I like the spoked mags (although the tires look a little square-shouldered) and I think the motor will respond well to some detailing. It's far less toy-like than I had feared. As far as the nose is concerned, it’s not a deal breaker for me. It’s really not too bad at all, not out of line for the period it represents.

So, to summarize, I think the general direction is more likely to be to improve and augment the already surprisingly good bones of this kit, rather than to raid it for parts.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Yup, roger that by three.

So Bernard (and anybody else with any interest), question for ya - we don't know the width yet, but otherwise, whatcha think of the possible applications of that beam axle for one of the Deuces?

As Bernard said, too soon to tell. Regardless, this little gem will also be in hobby shops in the next week or two, along with the '49 Merc woody. December is going to be a very good Revell kit month!

I am opening mine right now.

The front axle is 2.030 from the outsides of the flanges. The Revell '32 Sedan one is 1.950 to the outside edges of the larger, inner part of the flanges. With a little tweaking of the hub and wheel offset, it could probably work well for the '32. It would be a fantastic starting point for somebody to make a nice drilled beam with the spring mount from the '32... and cast in resin or pewter. I will try to get some pics of the two together this evening.

Otherwise, the kit looks okay. It is a bit simplified for that nostalgia vibe, but the parts look pretty nice and crisp. This isn't just going to be a trip to the past. It will build up in to a pretty nice model by today's standards too. Heck, I might even wire mine. I am thinking of starting this evening if I get a chance. I will post if I do.

Got mine. I'm really impressed. The frame is engineered to be able to be built with a pinched front or as a square box frame, and there are cut marks on the roll bars so you can cut them off and replace with a Dragmaster-style hoop. You can build both motors with injectors or blower. You can change the width of the rear axle by adding spacers or cutting a little off the metal axle and leaving the spacers off. The tires are really nice, the slicks are not too wide, they look just right for the era, and the front motorcycle tires are really skinny. It has the largest instruction manual I've ever seen in a Revell kit, it's magazine-sized and 36 pages long. You're given 6 different building versions, each version has its own start to finish step-by-step instructions. The various parts can be mixed-and-matched for virtually endless combinations. It definitely has a nostalgic vibe, detail is a bit simplified, but it's sharp and crisp when it's there. The way the headers lock into the heads and are captured by the valve/rocker covers is really impressive engineering. The wire wheels are a bit heavy, but stripping the thick factory chrome and thinning the spokes with a Flex-i-file should improve their looks considerably. I'll try to get some pics and instruction sheet scans up sometime later today.

Got my kit yesterday, been looking at it for a couple of days, and I think that its to small. it looks to me like its 1/27th scale, We have yet another size 392 Hemi valve cover, The back tires are way to small, nice front axle for the 32 ford Maybe swapping the front spring will make the front end lower, their is nice parts in the kit, I will buy it again. To me the best Hemi comes in the Miss Deal . Tires and rims look good also So what do you think?

Oh yeah, I see half a dozen of those going in my stash.

My thoughts exactly Neil!!! :lol:

I picked up my first two today! After reading this thread this morning, and seeing that people were getting them off the shelves already, I had to divert our grocery shopping to the local Hobby Town down the street, and scored. After opening this kit up, I was amazed at what I seen. Brett said it best, it's very nostalgic, with a twist uniqueness, and a true joy to see back on store shelves. The belled exhaust, and injectors being molded open is impressive. The slicks remind me of AMT's old 7.50-15 Firestone slicks, they're tiny. All in all......1 GRT KIT!!!

The kit doesn't look bad, in a basic sort of way. The pictures are nice and up close so you get a good impression of what the parts are like. Looks like excellent material for an upgrade working mainly with the parts at hand. The frame in particular looks crisp, thin and in-scale looking. Thanx for the quick build so we can all see! It's much appreciated.

Edited by Bernard Kron

As Joe stated, there's a ton of flash on some of the chrome parts, particularly the headers. I usually end up stripping the chrome and repainting them anyway. I can't believe you built one so fast!

Bernard, the kit has both the new tool, and original molding feel to it. New tool would be the way the rims and the tires mount, and old tool w/ the flash on the headers.

My personal favorites of the year from Revell are the 'Cuda and the Merc Woody, but I'd argue that this rare new tooling for Monogram is really R/M's most successful of the year. It doesn't have to trouble itself so much with dialing in specific 1:1 prototypes, and as a tribute to an older kit optimized for scale, they just slam their objectives out of the park on this one.

For only having a bit over 100 parts, the number of possible combinations is staggering - I lost count somewhere past 280. For a keen balance between fun and authenticity, this looks like Revell/Monogram's sleeper of 2013. If you're into the concept, I'm betting you could buy a case and not regret it.

For only having a bit over 100 parts, the number of possible combinations is staggering - I lost count somewhere past 280. For a keen balance between fun and authenticity, this looks like Revell/Monogram's sleeper of 2013. If you're into the concept, I'm betting you could buy a case and not regret it.

Couldn't agree with you more! This is my definitely my pick of the year also, followed by the 1962 Corvettes. The 'Cuda is a better kit, but not my favorite subject matter (however, that won't hinder my purchase and building of it).