Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Monogram Slingster Dragster

Casey

• 1 month later...

-BQ-tQzwCGk---KGrHgoH-DUEjlLlypo6BJ4j8SB I'm really glad this is coming back albeit in 1/25th scale, I'm ok with that. I bought my first one when it was first released back in the early sixties.

Webkits-045.jpg

I'd really like to know what's happened tho this kit over the years. I think we've all heard the rumor that it was cut up and used in other kits,i.e. the Hemi engines went to the S'Cool bus kit. I have both of these kits and I can tell you the engines don't match up.

The new advertizing says it's a 6 in 1 kit Sizzler_001.jpg

Well, anyway, just happy to see it coming our way. :D

Edited by Greg Myers

Sizzler, right? I've drooled over the ones that have come up on evilbay for as long as I've drooled over old styrene on there. I have never got one for one reason, the price they fetch is over what I have been willing to shell out for one. I've had one partially (neatly) started original Sizzler in my hands, it was so tempting to shell out the $100+ asking price; the original was that beautiful of a kit. (Not quite on par with the Little T era kits yet almost there, between the multipeice bodies and the Little T.)

So I nearly did backflips when I saw that they were going to re-engineer the kit from it's original 1/24th to 1/25th scale. Most of us build in 1/25th scale, the aftermarket parts are also for the most part in 1/25th scale in case someone wanted to add a few doo-dads to their model. Hopefully the new kit will have the flavor of the first Sizzler using todays quality standards, if they are going to do whole new tooling it should be done right.

Vintage Dragsters, Traditional Hot Rods and speed parts trip my trigger, you can bet I will get at least one Sizzler or a few to build in the versions shown on the original box. Can't wait to get one in my hot little hands!

I'm stoked over this announcement! Its a good thing theyre re-doing it in 1/25. I've got a few parts left over from my childhood build of this kit, and some pieces like the blower, seem more close to 1/20 than 1/24. Reverse engineering plus upgrades!

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't the greatest pic (I'm a terrible photographer), but here's a shot of the kit trees taken at the HMCA show last Saturday.

003_zps1cb4908a.jpg

BTW, this is off topic, but the kit to the right is the '57 Chevy Convertible; Note the optional uptop for it. It also has the 2x4 bbl intake and Batwing airfilter setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Even at $1.98 in the sixties ..... this was "THE" screamin deal of the century!!!!!

I managed to get my hands on two of them......

Not really sure here but just for the record I "THINK" the original was closer to 1/20th scale.... not 1/24th......

Personally, I would like to see a "STRAIGHT RE-ISSUE" in the original scale.......

Bill (Duntov)

I hope Longbox55 doesn't mind, but I took the original photo from his Photobucket and cropped it into sections for the different sprues to make it a little easier to see the building options.

According to Revell (with my additional comments in parentheses), it will have:

A small-block Chevy and an early Hemi, 3 exhaust styles, 3 intake systems (definitely 1 injected and 1 blown with what looks like a possible "Man-A-Fre" style 4 x 2bbl set up?), 3 body styles (open dragster, streamliner, and competition coupe), driver figure(neat!), 2 front wheel styles (wires and 12 spoke mags, with 5-spoke mags for the back).

slingster001-vi.jpg

slingster002-vi.jpg

slingster003-vi.jpg

slingster004-vi.jpg

slingster005-vi.jpg

slingster006-vi.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

OMG :angry: . That Bantam roof looks like it's chopped 2", and the reveal molding droops front to rear :rolleyes: . Horrors. The sunroof is too far back too. :huh: Wait, what? Nevermind. Looks awesome, never got an original. Think a Potvin would be cool on a flathead in this thing. Hope people don't whine like Twihards about this kit. :blink:

Edited by keyser

OMG :angry: . That Bantam roof looks like it's chopped 2", and the reveal molding droops front to rear :rolleyes: . Horrors. The sunroof is too far back too. :huh: Wait, what? Nevermind. Looks awesome, never got an original. Think a Potvin would be cool on a flathead in this thing. Hope people don't whine like Twihards about this kit. :blink:

You hope people don't whine about this kit? You just KNOW they will.

Where are you seeing the Man-A-Fre style intake? On the Chevy engine sprue I see a super charger intake and a Hilborn style fuel injector. Care to circle it in the picture it's in? I'm looking and looking...

I see a Hilborn injection unit similar to the one in the original and the one in the AMT Double Dragster kits. First picture bottom right on the spru. :rolleyes:

I see a Hilborn injection unit similar to the one in the original and the one in the AMT Double Dragster kits. First picture bottom right on the spru. :rolleyes:

That's probably the one he's thinking of. The original Sizzler kit had a setup just like that. If you want a Man-A-Fre type intake in 1/25 scale, check out the stock fuel injection intake in the old-tool Revell '57 Chevy kits (hardtop and Nomad). The four pads that the stock FI plenum rests on are aligned with the intake ports on the heads, and they resemble mounting pads for carburetors. You might have to scratch a set of pads to add to the manifold to raise the carbs a bit, but that is no big deal. I'm working on a model of a drag car that ran locally back in the day, the pics I have of the intake on it are pretty similar to the Revell unit. The local car's intake wasn't a Man-A-Fre, but again all of these four-carb setups were pretty much alike with one carb feeding two intake ports (and each pair of ports isolated from the others). The only four-carb SBC intake I know of in a kit (AMT '67/'68 Camaro annual kits) looks similar to the Revell FI intake also.

Where are you seeing the Man-A-Fre style intake? On the Chevy engine sprue I see a super charger intake and a Hilborn style fuel injector. Care to circle it in the picture it's in? I'm looking and looking...

On the bottom of the sprue with the front axle and the chevy pipes are what appear to be 4 2bbl carbs. Or they could be (probably more likely now that I think about it) siamesed injectors for the Chevy. So it might be 2 injected set ups and one blown. All Revell said was "3 intake systems", in fact everything in that line I wrote that isn't in parentheses is cut and pasted directly from the e-mail message.

That's probably the one he's thinking of. The original Sizzler kit had a setup just like that. If you want a Man-A-Fre type intake in 1/25 scale, check out the stock fuel injection intake in the old-tool Revell '57 Chevy kits (hardtop and Nomad). The four pads that the stock FI plenum rests on are aligned with the intake ports on the heads, and they resemble mounting pads for carburetors. You might have to scratch a set of pads to add to the manifold to raise the carbs a bit, but that is no big deal. I'm working on a model of a drag car that ran locally back in the day, the pics I have of the intake on it are pretty similar to the Revell unit. The local car's intake wasn't a Man-A-Fre, but again all of these four-carb setups were pretty much alike with one carb feeding two intake ports (and each pair of ports isolated from the others). The only four-carb SBC intake I know of in a kit (AMT '67/'68 Camaro annual kits) looks similar to the Revell FI intake also.

You replied as I was typing mine. I was looking more at the items on the bottom of the front axle sprue thinking they were 2bbl carbs, but it's more likely they're siamesed injectors for the SBC

On the bottom of the sprue with the front axle and the chevy pipes are what appear to be 4 2bbl carbs. Or they could be (probably more likely now that I think about it) siamesed injectors for the Chevy. So it might be 2 injected set ups and one blown. All Revell said was "3 intake systems", in fact everything in that line I wrote that isn't in parentheses is cut and pasted directly from the e-mail message.

Thanks, and you're probably correct about them being injector parts. I was looking at those 4 fuzzy things too but despite the blurry pictures I just wasn't finding a 3rd Chevy intake.

Regardless, this kit should be, at the least, a good parts source!

Thanks for the reminder! That's a really classic and obvious tactic I've forgotten to include in the blog from the very beginning.

Actually, this is the PERFECT sort of thing for Revell/Monogram to do. Plays on nostalgia, hammers down the scale, refines the tooling, ramps up the detail, doesn't hit any single specific subject too literally.

Very eagerly looking forward to mine, and they're really gonna have to botch something to get any "whining" from me.