Model Cars Magazine Forum

.020 fuel line and resin fittings?

I picked up a pack of 020 fuel line from Detail Masters and they have a diagram on their site, but danged if I can figure out what to buy to make realistic fuel line connectors. I really don't want to have to assemble anything, just find something to what I saw for Tamiya models on Ebay: 3 or 4 different kind of fittings, 90 deg, 45 degree and then a straight fitting. You paint them yourself and it looks like the fuel like just fits inside the fitting; no threads, combination fittings, compression fittings, etc. Here's the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RESIN-A-N-FITTINGS-HOSE-JOINTS-LARGE-40pc-for-TAMIYA/290515384458?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D891821553783189145%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290515384458%26

Here's the chart from Detail Masters:

post-12210-0-11975000-1377712228_thumb.p

Your screenshot missed the top line where the scale references are. Here.

post-11836-0-65770200-1377721897_thumb.j

The first column is for 1:24 scale. Your line is 1/2 inch in full scale. I'll see what real fuel line is and check back.

EDIT: I checked your Ebay link out and can't figure it out either. No mention as to what large is... Hate that...

EDIT: These are more expensive, but better quality. I use their rod ends and miniature hardware for the suspensions in some of my builds.

RB Motion: http://www.rbmotion.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_111&product_id=254

Note: 8 pieces = 4 finished connectors.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

Your screenshot missed the top line where the scale references are. Here.

attachicon.gifChart.jpg

The first column is for 1:24 scale. Your line is 1/2 inch in full scale. I'll see what real fuel line is and check back.

EDIT: I checked your Ebay link out and can't figure it out either. No mention as to what large is... Hate that...

EDIT: These are more expensive, but better quality. I use their rod ends and miniature hardware for the suspensions in some of my builds.

RB Motion: http://www.rbmotion.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_111&product_id=254

Note: 8 pieces = 4 finished connectors.

Dale

Dale: these are awesome! I tried the RB website yesterday and got a web 404 error. Must have been a server problem. These are the best so far and exactly what I need for my Shoebox Ford build!

I have some Japanese seed beads that are hex shaped. When I want to use them I coat some with Tamiya clear red and others in clear blue. Heck of a lot cheaper than the aftermarket suppliers and I have them in 3 or 4 different sizes.

Jim: I checked your link, but didn't find any references to those beads. Do you have any pics of how they turn out? Thanks.

Dale: these are awesome!

R.B. Motion has great products and even better customer service, so I would definitely recommend them.

I've also used Detail Master braided line, soft aluminum "hard" line, and fittings, too, and loved them, so you can't go wrong with them either.

Hey Mitchell..... take a look at this thread I started on reference material....

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70954

It has charts that I made for Fittings, Braided line, Scale Hardware. I personally use on RB Motion A/N Fittings on my builds. Robert is a great guy to do business with and I have even had him machine some custom pieces for me as well. As for Braided line my personal opinion is that Pro Tech is the best in the business and Charlie is a great guy to talk with and do business with. Bob from Scale Hardware is another great guy I get all of my bolts from. Take a look at the link

How can I print this out? Isn't there something like "screen shot" or something so that you can print just what your looking at? This is really handy and would make a great magazine pull out... gives new meaning to centerfold....

I use a free download called "Jing" which sits on your desktop and will allow you to select items on the screen, capture them, and save them.

Hey Mitchell..... take a look at this thread I started on reference material....

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70954

It has charts that I made for Fittings, Braided line, Scale Hardware. I personally use on RB Motion A/N Fittings on my builds. Robert is a great guy to do business with and I have even had him machine some custom pieces for me as well. As for Braided line my personal opinion is that Pro Tech is the best in the business and Charlie is a great guy to talk with and do business with. Bob from Scale Hardware is another great guy I get all of my bolts from. Take a look at the link

Chris (aka MoonEyes): This is fantastic (so is your sig ;) ), but I could fail a basic math test at age 56. ;) I need to know what is the most popular (accepted) size for braided fuel line only and then get what I need later for fittings. I intend to use Protech for braided line and RBMotion for fittings. For a 1/24 or 1/25 scale Revell model (Shoebox Ford of a Revell '55 Chevy Streetburner top sportsman), what size braided fuel line is the appropriate? I may use a a Ross Gibson blown kit engine in the '55 for some madness, but I hope Protech/RB will have the rest of the necessary plumbing. I have a 1/8th scale Hemi display engine to work off for example.

Thanks for all the help; I know you get pinged a lot for info because of your experience.

Galations 3:28 NIV

How can I print this out? Isn't there something like "screen shot" or something so that you can print just what your looking at? This is really handy and would make a great magazine pull out... gives new meaning to centerfold....

Mike PM me with your email addy and I will send the excel file to you.

Chris (aka MoonEyes): This is fantastic (so is your sig ;) ), but I could fail a basic math test at age 56. ;) I need to know what is the most popular (accepted) size for braided fuel line only and then get what I need later for fittings. I intend to use Protech for braided line and RBMotion for fittings. For a 1/24 or 1/25 scale Revell model (Shoebox Ford of a Revell '55 Chevy Streetburner top sportsman), what size braided fuel line is the appropriate? I may use a a Ross Gibson blown kit engine in the '55 for some madness, but I hope Protech/RB will have the rest of the necessary plumbing. I have a 1/8th scale Hemi display engine to work off for example.

Thanks for all the help; I know you get pinged a lot for info because of your experience.

Galations 3:28 NIV

Mitch... For fuel line you could go with Pro tech .020 to .025 line. I probably would go with the .025 line with it being a race car. Feel free to ask questions anytime. Also PM me your email addy and I will send the reference charts to you.

Fuel lines are either 3/8 or 1/2 depending, The 3/8 is for performance street/strip carbs. Here are some links to Summit Racing Equipment

:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-11202/recommendedparts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-17202/overview/

I keep finding -6 AN as a measurement but can't find a definition for it.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

Fuel lines are either 3/8 or 1/2 depending, The 3/8 is for performance street/strip carbs. Here are some links to Summit Racing Equipment

:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-11202/recommendedparts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-17202/overview/

I keep finding -6 AN as a measurement but can't find a definition for it.

Dale

Dale.... the 1:1 size and Typical Application was taken from an earls or russel catalog. This is in the Model Reference material charts I have created

BraidedLine_zps5b5f994a.jpg

What is an "AN" fitting? What does "AN" mean?

"AN" (Army-Navy) sizes were established by the aerospace industry years ago. The numbers refer to the o.d. of the rigid metal tube that each size fitting is used with. The numbers assigned equate to the o.d. of the tubing in 1/16" increments.

AN Size Inch Equivalent

-4 AN equals 1/4"

-6 AN equals 3/8"

-8 AN equals 1/2"

-10 AN equals 5/8"

-12 AN equals 3/4"

Since tubing and hoses are found with assorted wall thicknesses, the designated size number does not necessarily tell you how large the inside diameter will be. For example, the inside diameter of an Earl's -6 AN hose end is nearly as large as the inside diameter of some other manufacturers' -8 AN hose ends.

Edited by ratnasty

What is an "AN" fitting? What does "AN" mean?

"AN" (Army-Navy) sizes were established by the aerospace industry years ago. The numbers refer to the o.d. of the rigid metal tube that each size fitting is used with. The numbers assigned equate to the o.d. of the tubing in 1/16" increments.

AN Size Inch Equivalent

-4 AN equals 1/4"

-6 AN equals 3/8"

-8 AN equals 1/2"

-10 AN equals 5/8"

-12 AN equals 3/4"

Since tubing and hoses are found with assorted wall thicknesses, the designated size number does not necessarily tell you how large the inside diameter will be. For example, the inside diameter of an Earl's -6 AN hose end is nearly as large as the inside diameter of some other manufacturers' -8 AN hose ends.

Clear as a bell. You should append this to the reference thread that Moodeyes started since a/n is mentioned with fitting sizes.

Dale