Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hendrix Mfg. -- Recommendations..?

Hey guys. I'm considering ordering a kit from Hendrix and wanted to get some feedback here from anyone who has dealt with them. How is the quality of their stuff..?? I know that their "chrome parts" are NOT chromed, but can they be either sent out to be chromed, or Alcladed without much or any prop work..?? Recommendations, comments, good or bad are appreciated. Thanks.

Richard,

I just bough the 51 Pontiac from Hendrix and I've bought several other cars from him. Not up to Modelhaus standards, but by far better than R&R. If you have built anything from either, you shouldn't have any problems with Hendrix.

Most of what I have bought from him are figures. He has quite a selection.

Just lately he's branched out into custom parts, Skirts, cont kits.

Rich, I've got their 53 Ford two dr post coupe conversion and it is VERY nice. The usual VERY small pinholes in the inner surface, but the outside is PERFECT! A little flash ,but thats expected from a resin kit. All in all, I'd say they were pretty nice castings. NOT Modelhaus or D.R.A.G. quality, but still a very nice starting point for any project. HTH.

Thank you for your feedback David and George. I'm considering getting the '51 Pontiac kit myself, which is why I put this inquiry here on the Forum. Do you guys use Alclad for the chrome parts or do you send them out for chroming..??

I don't have an airbrush, compressor or spray booth so my options would be to either send them out for chroming or find someone to Alclad them for me.

I have three or so of Hendrix Products . I did have some issues . I contacted Steve Kohler . He made the probl;ems go away . I am quite satisfied and not discouraged from getting more , more . Did you say you got the '51 Pontiac dh1908 ? I think I must check ...

Thanx ..

Rich- I have bought and used Alclad in a spray can. It works very well.

Alclad in a spray can you say...I was sure you had to be mistaken about it coming in an air-sole can. Then I Goggled it and low and behold there it was at E-Hobbies as well as several other hobby outlets. Happy days now I don`t have to hassle with the air gun cleanup when chroming parts!!!

Alclad in a spray can you say...I was sure you had to be mistaken about it coming in an air-sole can. Then I Goggled it and low and behold there it was at E-Hobbies as well as several other hobby outlets. Happy days now I don`t have to hassle with the air gun cleanup when chroming parts!!!

IMG_3093-vi.jpg

I've had people doubt me, so I took a picture! It works great for me. Just like the airbrush product, you still need to do the gloss black paint coat prior to using it. I had good results spraying it over existing kit chrome as well. I've also sprayed a bit in a small cup to use to touch up sprue connection points on bumpers and even painted scripts and molded in door handles on models.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone tell me what quality to expect with a Hendrix casting? I'm looking at buying a '32 Ford four door sedan. TIA!

From my limited experience with Hendrix, Don, the bodies I've seen (a few) plus the couple I've owned have been a little better than typical R&R quality. Which is to say, about average to a little above average for the mainstream aftermarket body casters. Not the Modelhaus/Promolite/MasterCaster/MissingLink level of excellence, but generally good and all have been very "do-able."

About the same level of effort as R&R; usually good dimensions and proportions; usually reasonably priced.

From my limited experience with Hendrix, Don, the bodies I've seen (a few) plus the couple I've owned have been a little better than typical R&R quality. Which is to say, about average to a little above average for the mainstream aftermarket body casters. Not the Modelhaus/Promolite/MasterCaster/MissingLink level of excellence, but generally good and all have been very "do-able."

About the same level of effort as R&R; usually good dimensions and proportions; usually reasonably priced.

Thanks!

Well, lemme see. I've got about a half dozen Hendricks kits and have been very happy with what I got. I think his work is better than R&R, at least in the conversions and parts I've bought. Everything I got was clean and well-cast, with no pinholes or other flaws. And things FIT like they were supposed to.

I don't think you should have any problems you can't handle.

Terry

IMG_3093-vi.jpg

I've had people doubt me, so I took a picture! It works great for me. Just like the airbrush product, you still need to do the gloss black paint coat prior to using it. I had good results spraying it over existing kit chrome as well. I've also sprayed a bit in a small cup to use to touch up sprue connection points on bumpers and even painted scripts and molded in door handles on models.

Thank you Tom for posting the spray can.I can stripe the chrome off the bumpers of the 77 Cadillac and respray them.

I bought a Hendrix '58 Impala Continental tire/bumper and a '58 Ford complete kit. My comments are the same as above. Maybe not as good as Modelhaus, but not bad either.

My comments are that the '58 Ford had a few air pinholes in body and it looked like the master was a repaired kit that had fender skirts. It was a very straight resin body, holes for clear headlights and the chassis was perfect unlike the ones that you throw away from R&R. After careful building, its like having and annual kit in your hands.

I've had good experiences and not so good . The not so good , Steve Kohler made right . I will not hesitate to buy in the future nor reccomend anything they make . Fair quality for a Fair Price . Your monies worth . One example is the '57 Lincoln Resin kit . I did recieve it and started the WIP . I was scratching for a Chassis . I recieved a '57 Ford Doner Kit from Steve explaining he thought a Chassis was in the kit . I cannot thank him enough . Thanx ..

• 1 year later...

This line of resin kits is available at Model Roundup - have almost no experience with resin. Would like to know more about how clean the parts are - is there a lot of flash removal required, and if so, is it easy to follow the flash to make sure it's cut out cleanly? And anything else you can think of!

Edited by fseva