Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who here would love to see a kit of a modern D9R dozer

I also would welcome any construction model, an excavator, dozer or telescoping lift crane. I may go out and buy two of those today. I too will will civy them and paint'em Krylon Old CAT Yellow

Hey Richard, they're not available in the US yet to my knowledge. Lots of people have been buying them from China and Hong Kong. Even though it's 1/35, it's a BIG kit! Has lots of pieces as well!! I'm getting two just as soon as I can find them over here! I'm hoping someone will ofer a resin conversion set to turn it into a regular D9R.

Yeah! Lets have some of those! Then a nice detachable gooseneck lowboy and a Mack Titan to pull them!! Is anybody listening out there? Good pictures Ben, what scale are those? They don't seem like the usual 1:50 we get from Norscot and the like.

Edited by BigBad

Yeah! Lets have some of those! Then a nice detachable gooseneck lowboy and a Mack Titan to pull them!! Is anybody listening out there? Good pictures Ben, what scale are those? They don't seem like the usual 1:50 we get from Norscot and the like.

Hey Bob, they are both 1/24.

Bob,

A detachable gooseneck lowboy might very well out sell any trailer kit ever produced. The fact that no model company has ever attempted one in styrene makes me wonder if it's because of the amount of parts involved or if it's the fear of a lack of interest by truck model builders. I think most truck builders would welcome both a DGN Lowboy and any construction equipment. I think we as truck builders can agree that there is an interest in these subjects, the problem is getting a manufacturer to comit to such a project.

Anthony, keep watching this space, there is something brewing...........

Bob,

A detachable gooseneck lowboy might very well out sell any trailer kit ever produced. The fact that no model company has ever attempted one in styrene makes me wonder if it's because of the amount of parts involved or if it's the fear of a lack of interest by truck model builders. I think most truck builders would welcome both a DGN Lowboy and any construction equipment. I think we as truck builders can agree that there is an interest in these subjects, the problem is getting a manufacturer to comit to such a project.

Makes sense, I agree.

Interesting, say more!

Hey Bob, they were both purchased off Ebay. The D9T was completely built from scratch with the exception of the tracks. (much more accurate tracks are being made for it right now). The excavator is technically a "toy" but it has been disassembled, a large plastic handle removed that used to reside on top of the boom, then it was painted with Cat paint and reassembled and detailed out. What makes it even more interesting is to my knowledge, only five of them were ever produced. It is an exact copy of the Bruder, 1/16 Cat excavator but it was made by a chinese company with no Bruder logos anywhere on it or the packaging it came in (this was told to me by the seller) He told me he was searching though some type of market when he found a box that simply read "1/24 digging machine". There were five in the box. He bought all five. I bought the last two he had.

Edited by Ben

I asked Budd Anderson this very question way back in 1963 . Would you believe he actually wrote back wondering the same thing ? Yes, any construction / road building equipment is something I'd actually invest in . I bought the Ertil tractors when they got re -issued in the mid 90's . I bought a couple of Caterpillars too . I'd like to back date one of them. I just haven't done so yet . I even have access to older Caterpillars too............

• 2 weeks later...

scale hobbyist recently listed the Meng models D9R kit. Us armor guys have impatiently waiting for a styrene version of the equipment , and now have one! The kit is listed as backordered, but they restock quickly.

The Komatsu excavator heavily weathered on a low boy would look amazing!

why not bigger like a Komatsu D 575

130831070445846370.jpg

I actually have a kit of that but it's only 1/87 scale. :( I would LOVE one in 1/24!!! that or a Cat D11R!

Both would be great kits in 1/24th or 1/25th scale. Both would be huge and expensive, which would probably rule out many modelers who refuse to spend three figures on a model kit.

For the Komatsu, most likely the Japaneses manufactures would do this. Tamiya does an historic Komatsu dozer and Kyosho does a 1/50th scale RC D575A.

tamiya-komatsu-g40-bulldozer--japanese-n

855f4a91b8df979d710ff08d8cc97573.image.5

Maybe even Trumpeter could do a 1/25th scale Komatsu dozer or excavator. They did the American Lafrance pumper which is excellent and reasonably priced.

Edited by chuckyr