Model Cars Magazine Forum

Powell Motors: The Homer

hobbybobby

"Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" is the fifteenth episode of The Simpsons' second season. It originally aired on the Fox network in the United States on February 21, 1991.

After watching the latest McBain movie, Grampa Simpson suffers a heart attack. This prompts him to confess a long-hidden secret: Homer has a half-brother.

As Grampa explains, he had met a carnival floozy and prostitute before marrying Homer's mother. They had a son, and left him at the Shelbyville Orphanage. Determined to find his brother, Homer and his family go to the orphanage and find out that Abe's son was adopted by a Mr. and Mrs. Powell and named Herbert.

Herb Powell (who looks just like Homer, except with more hair and a little less gut) is the head of Powell Motors car company (in danger of being taken over by the Japanese because of otherwise poor management). He is very rich, but is quite unhappy not knowing who he is and where he comes from. He is overjoyed upon hearing of his half-brother and invites the entire Simpson family to stay at his mansion in Detroit.

Bart, Lisa, and Maggie are enthralled by Herb's wealthy lifestyle (though Marge constantly worries about spoiling her kids), and Herb decides that Homer, being an "average" American, is the perfect person to design a new car for his company, which has been losing business due to foreign car manufacturers. Herb introduces Homer to his company's design team, who soon use his lack of vehicle knowledge to try and design 'their' perfect vehicle.

When Herb asks Homer how the car design is coming along Homer can't give him a straight answer. Herb feels that Homer is not being forceful enough with his ideas, and gives Homer a pep talk. Pretty soon, Herb has invigorated Homer, who begins rejecting the designer's ideas for weird items-like bubble domes, fins and several horns that play "La Cucaracha".

At the unveiling of "The Homer", Herb is horrified to discover that the car is a monstrosity that costs $82,000 (significantly more when inflation adjusted for today). Herb's company folds, his mansion is sold off and he leaves regretting that he ever met his brother. As he departs on the bus he angrily remarks to Homer that he "has no brother". Lisa laments, "His life was an unbridled success... until he found out he was a Simpson." In the end of this episode, while Homer drives the family home, Bart tells him that the car he built was great. Homer became relieved that only one person seems to like it...

The storyline of a controversially styled car causing the company to fail both echoes that of the Edsel and the Tucker Torpedo.

The Edsel was a controversially styled car that bore the name of Henry Ford's son, Edsel Ford, and is now considered one of the biggest car flops in history.

Production of the Tucker Torpedo, which introduced many new features, was shut down amidst scandal and accusations of stock fraud in 1949.

Homer wants the horns of the car he is designing to play the traditional Spanish folk corrido "La Cucaracha".

The Pope shows up for the unveiling of Homer's new car.

Herb berates his staff for suggesting that the company name a new car "Persephone" after the Greek goddess of fertility in Greek mythology. Herb tells the staff, "People don't want cars named after hungry old Greek broads! They want names like 'Mustang' and 'Cheetah'—vicious animal names," referencing the Ford Mustang and Lamborghini Cheetah cars...

homers_car.jpg

blueprintsio5.jpg

Homer_Front.jpg

Homer_Rear.jpg

powell_homer.jpg

Well, I can not even profess to like this model and its appearance, but these kits are good for exercise... ;)

Initially, the color should be a very bright green.

But I decided for a darker, an olive green, to get a better scope for the chrome parts.

Nevertheless, it was a fun build, hope you like it...

026.jpg

011.jpg

016.jpg

032.jpg

018.jpg

Thank you very much for the kind words! B)

You know, I do like it!! I also like that green, what paint/color is that exactly?

It looks really good on that car!

1. Tamiya White Fine Surface Primer TA-87044

2. Tamiya Spray TS-28 Olive Drab Lacquer TA-85028

3. Tamiya Spray TS-65 Pearl Clear TA-85065

4. Tamiya Spray TS-13 Clear TA-85013

No idea about the layers, I do it by feel anyway... ;)

Edited by hobbybobby

So this is a diecast or toy repainted? Paint work looks good!

This is a Snap together all plastic assembly model kit and was made by Polar Lights, dated 2003.

b_zps0fb9f39a.jpg

It comes with over 50 Pieces and a pre-painted Homer Figure.

The parts are molded in the proper colors, or in clear plastic, there's the predominate green, brown and this cool chrome, but also some black.

c_zpscba47333.jpg

This is a skill level 1 model, but I wouldn't hand it over to an eight year old kid unsupervised unless he or she is very patient...

It's too easy to break some of the smaller pieces trying to snap them together, and if you hurry you're bound to regret it.

The instructions are very clear however, and make it fairly simple to get it all together in 30 - 45 minutes tops.( but then it is not yet nice...) ;)

Make sure you pay attention, as there are parts that should go on before others to make the build much smoother.

I'd say you can go about 80% or so without glue on this one, there are some smaller pieces that do snap on alright, but I glued everything, like the rear view mirror, or the hood ornament. I also did a little gluing on the main body pieces just to ensure overall structural strength.

And yes, after I glued the fins on the Body, there was a huge gap in between, so I had to putty and sanding... ;)

Sure, most snap together kits claim you don't have to paint anything, but that's pretty much a lie... :unsure:

It's the car that really shines here, as the little Homer is less than stupendous, he's not terrible, but he's a rather average version of the lovable oaf, so I let him off...

This kit was part of Tom Lowes plan to bring kits to the movie and tv memorabilia hobby. It was pretty genius and no doubt sold a ton of these to Simpson fans. Note that from the parts in the box, anyone could assemble a fairly decent replica in colors. An easy build for people more a fan of Homer than car people / model builders.

They also did the Jetsons saucer, and even Herbie The Love Bug was part of this series. The makeup of the VW was very cool and may just be the type of kit that we need in the future for this hobby to expand and flourish. I gave one to my 12 year old nephew and he had a decent looking replica built in about an hour with no paint, tools or glue. It was molded in enough colors that he was satisfied with it. The same kit had enough parts and was realistic enough to hold real model builders attention. A lot of us have built some pretty detailed models from this kit.

Years ago there was what was called The Hobby Show in Toronto where people could come and buy hobby related material and see hobby clubs displaying their hobbies such as model building, marquetry, rc stuff, model railroads, mecanno etc. Group 25 had a display there for years. One year a vendor had that The Homer for sale. I thought it would be a good idea to buy it and build it at the show so that the crowds could see an entry level kit being built out of box. It was going just fine until I got to that rear bubble. The bubble is 2 pieces plus that green piece that goes around it. You have to try to hold it all together and snap it into place. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it. I fought with it and fought with it and fought with it. It was: :angry::o:angry::angry::angry::angry::mellow::angry: !

Of course my fellow club members were killing themselves laughing and reminding me it was a skill level 1 kit. And the public got more of a show than I ever intended! I still get reminded of that episode and this is 10 years later. :lol:

To quote Bender, Neat. Oddly enough, there was a real world Powell Motor Company, and fittingly enough this is what they built

224281-1000-0.jpg?rev=2

in this case the "Powell" that the company was named after was the owners first name, rather than last; Powell Crosley. Yes, the very same Crosley that brought us the Crosley micro car, Crosley Radios, and the Farm-O-Road. Just for the record, I almost bought a '48 Crosley woodie wagon, but passed on to look for a pickup.