Model Cars Magazine Forum

?1968 Coronet R/T Test Shots ?

1972coronet

I would love to see this kit restored. Here is my builds based on resin kits.

68CORNAA.jpg

I'm not 100% sure but I think this one was from Motor City Resin but I got it so long ago.

I used the AMT 68 Roadrunner for the chassis and engine.

68Supera.jpg

This one started out as a Modelhaus kit that I converted from a Coronet RT to a Super Bee.

Also used AMT 69 GTX for a 383 version.

Nice builds, both of them as I just LOVE dem Mopars!

Let's go back into the Way Back Machine , shall we ? Before the AMT Aherns-Fox Pumper wasn't ; The Mercer Raceabout as the Companion of the Stutz Bearcat . How can one exist without the other ? Prior to that debacle , the Pierce Silver Arrow . I gave up after growing old waiting for this relese . I bought the Mint Car off Evil Bait . Same as the Chrysler "Magnificent Turkey" . It was announced once upon a time . Let's not forget the '60 Ford Galaxie taking 10 years to make the Market place . Where is my '50 Studebaker ?? The AMT '50 Olds and the Stud dissappeared into oblivian as did both nameplates IMHO . There are more I just cannot recall . Thanx ..

• 6 years later...
On 9/7/2013 at 2:03 PM, GMP440 said:

Here is an order form for the MPC 69 Chargers and 68 Coronets. from back in the day. Notice the large scale wooden 68' Coronet model prototype and pictures of the models being packaged.

post-633-0-71191500-1378580620_thumb.jpg

It's large, but not 68' long large.

Does anyone recognize which magazine this ad appeared inside? Maybe the page number 19 font looks familiar?

On 9/4/2013 at 5:39 AM, JS23U said:

I would bet that at least the kit Hardtop and kit convertible came out of the same mold, just using different inserts for the roof section vs. sun visors. Maybe even the promo mold is the same one.

This.

1) Run the promos first in all the colors you wish. Nobody is going to want a '68 promo when the '69s start hitting dealership in late '68 anyway, so it's one and done

2) Clean up the screw mount areas, "open" the hood area, remove the engine plate/insert, re-insert the full engine parts, etc., and mold the Hardtop version

3) Change the body sections to run the convertible

Below is the underside of a '68 Coronet promo, showing how similar it is to the "full" kit:

68CoronetPromo.thumb.jpg.ba4e9e8e2d297a36d3834684939e4daa.jpg

Edited by Casey

post-633-0-71191500-1378580620.jpgThis looks like a page from the magazine that Dodge sent to their car and truck owners on a fairly regular basis. 

My Dad was a Dodge guy, so he got the mag. 

I saved a very interesting article from the mag back in the day that fully documented MPC's promo business, and I used some of the info from that article in my recent book "Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits" (CarTech Publishing, 2018).   TIM 

19 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

This looks like a page from the magazine that Dodge sent to their car and truck owners on a fairly regular basis. My Dad was a Dodge guy, so he got the mag. 

I saved a very interesting article from the mag back in the day that fully documented MPC's promo business, and I used some of the info from that article in my recent book "Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits" (CarTech Publishing, 2018).   TIM 

Thanks, Tim. I found the (an?) issue containing the mail away offer on page 19.

Was this the article you mentioned?:

1702277944_s-l1600(37).jpg.dc2402b5251b99231841bb1da23a2f4c.jpg

I got a junker MPC '68 Coronet Convertible that needs just a few parts to be complete. Namely the front seats. Those were one of the items that I meant to get from Don and Carol before they closed up shop, but forgot all about it. :(

Each time I see them turn up on eBay, I get outbid so I'm at a point if I can't get the originals (or resin), I'll scratchbuild them using the '69 Daytona interior as a starting point.

Mostly, I'll use AMT's '68 Road Runner for the mechanical stuff, as to me that's MUCH better detailed than the MPC kit.

On the subject of demand, while eBay can't always be used as a barometer of how something's going to sell, the fact that I see folks ALWAYS going after these no matter what shape they're in, tells me there's still interest in these quite a bit.

Edited by MrObsessive

14 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I got a junker MPC '68 Coronet Convertible that needs just a few parts to be complete. Namely the front seats. Those were one of the items that I meant to get from Don and Carol before they closed up shop, but forgot all about it. :(

Each time I see them turn up on eBay, I get outbid so I'm at a point if I can't get the originals (or resin), I'll scratchbuild them using the '69 Daytona interior as a starting point.

Mostly, I'll use AMT's '68 Road Runner for the mechanical stuff, as to me that's MUCH better detailed than the MPC kit.

On the subject of demand, while eBay can't always be used as a barometer of how something's going to sell, the fact that I see folks ALWAYS going after these no matter what shape they're in, tells me there's still interest in these quite a bit.

For some reason. The 2 front seats and the hood are easily the hardest parts to find.

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

For some reason. The 2 front seats and the hood are easily the hardest parts to find.

No doubt! The model was originally missing the hood and I was able to get a resin one from Don and Carol. Not long ago I was watching an auction on the 'Bay of an original kit hood and the auction ended up at something like 50 bucks! Crazy! :o

The seats can go for a good chunk of change also which is why I'll probably end up scratchbuilding those when the time comes. I don't care for the molded in seat belts anyway. ;)

28 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

No doubt! The model was originally missing the hood and I was able to get a resin one from Don and Carol. Not long ago I was watching an auction on the 'Bay of an original kit hood and the auction ended up at something like 50 bucks! Crazy! :o

The seats can go for a good chunk of change also which is why I'll probably end up scratchbuilding those when the time comes. I don't care for the molded in seat belts anyway. ;)

Well.

I have them to loan.... should you want to try your hand at resin casting. I thought about removing the seats belt myself ......when the time comes someday.

I just want my originals back.

One of mine was missing the seats and the hood when I bought it. And and I got lucky and got a set of original seats from Ron Hamilton....for no charge.  I owe him bigtime for that. The hood I found in a mixed lot of parts on ebay for next to nothing. Kept the coronet hood and dropped the rest in the trash ( everything else was damaged broken junk btw ) 

I will make that offer to only a few reputable casters....but not all

Edited by gtx6970

1 minute ago, gtx6970 said:

Well.

I have them to loan.... should you want to try your hand at resin casting. I thought about removing the seats belt myself ......when the time comes someday.

I just want my originals back.

I will make that offer to only a few reputable casters....but not all

I'll keep that in mind, but resin casting is not my forté. ;)

I tried resting casting something when I was working on the Green Hornet and it turned out terrible. I was using one of those hobby starter resin casting kits. I guess I didn't have the mixture right or something as I couldn't get it to turn out right at all.

• 4 weeks later...

the U haul it trailer would be a welcome sight I'm sure.

I just sold 2 of them a few weeks ago. For decent money

And on a side note, I just picked up another 1969 Coronet RT hardtop , I didn't need it as I already had 2 I think.

But for a price similar to today's kits, I take any and all I can find for that kind of money . I would LOVE to get another 68 hardtop though.

The Haul-away trailer from the MPC '68 and '69 Coronet R/T kits is a neat historical piece, and for the sake of nostalgia and as an extra, I don't think people would be disappointed to see it again. That said, I have to wonder if it's long gone, considering Ertl only salvaged the body shell from the original '70 Coronet mold. It'd be nice if the trailer survived, and if anyone would have an interest in bringing it back it would be Round2, but, I have my doubts it still exists. I would be happy to be proven wrong, though.

MPC69DodgeCoronet4.jpg.aa5752353b409eeb9dd1af86d742474d.jpg

Lots of general talk about complete bonuses, including trailers in various kits by different manufacturers, in this topic, too:

54 minutes ago, Mark said:

The MPC trailer wasn't in the '70 Coronet; it was in the Challenger kit that year.

So maybe there is hope for the trailer, yet.

MPC1970ChallengerTrailer-vi.jpg.9dded3f37334b94cee0f3367872d7329.jpg

55 minutes ago, Mark said:

MPC took it out of the '71 Challenger so they could put those "spoof" parts in.

?‍♀️