Model Cars Magazine Forum

T`rantula

hobbybobby

Design by Tom Daniel, originally released in 1968.

Green and wild, this show-n'-go rail dragster is out to beat all the competition.

With a big 427 c.i. single-overhead cam Ford V-8 engine, belt-driven blower, dual intakes and spider leg exhaust headers, it looks like it's ready to make its move.

I have never built this rail dragster with open parachute, because I'm afraid of these many ropes...

Here now, a little more detail...

A few small changes, the front is quite a bit deeper now, an aluminum mesh in the front of the cooler, the rear wheels - the rims are from the Dodge Cocept Car with machined and polished aluminum sleeves and home made rubbers, some wiring, a lowered windshield, and a hinged roof - i always thought about it: how should the driver, squeeze himself into this thing?

So, i decided that my model would have a way for the driver to enter and exit the vehicle, so, the back of the roof was glued to the body and smoothed in, i modified the roof by cutting it 3/8” from the rear of the car and adding some hinge, made of brass, from the hardware store, modified and fitted.

Hope, you like it.

003.jpg

004-1.jpg

001.jpg

023.jpg

005-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

006.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Very nice job on a classic kit!

I remember getting that kit when I was 13. I spent an evening painting it, mine wound up Christmas tree green since that was the spray paint we had. The second evening was spent assembling it. I remember being very pleased with the results. Monogram did a good job producing these Tom Daniel designs as easy builds for us youngsters back then. And of course we all have fond memories of them and need to have them again today!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the kind words! B)

WOW Boban that looks Fantastic, very KOOL build, but I do not understand where they came up with trantula, the front end looks more like a mosquito's snout (IMO), but anyway you did one heck of a job!! ;)

I never asked him, but maybe, Tom Daniel was inspired by this one:

Tarantula_zps680bc1cb.jpg

;)