Model Cars Magazine Forum

JJ Yelley's 02 USAC Sprinter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

101_3396_zps3e7806a9.jpg

101_3400_zps97d60263.jpg

101_3403_zps333e03e9.jpg

I use .040 styrene to make circles and glue spacers between them. I then cut out progressively smaller dia. pieces with a progressively larger opening at the rim. I use .060 styrene for that. Wrap the tire with .040 and then I draw out the tire patteren on poster board. I glue on one layer of the poster board then the one with the pattern on it. I Bondo the sidewalls to make the steps rounded off and cut and file out the tread through the two layers of poster board. Paint her flat black and it race ready

101_3396_zps3e7806a9.jpg

101_3400_zps97d60263.jpg

101_3403_zps333e03e9.jpg

I use .040 styrene to make circles and glue spacers between them. I then cut out progressively smaller dia. pieces with a progressively larger opening at the rim. I use .060 styrene for that. Wrap the tire with .040 and then I draw out the tire patteren on poster board. I glue on one layer of the poster board then the one with the pattern on it. I Bondo the sidewalls to make the steps rounded off and cut and file out the tread through the two layers of poster board. Paint her flat black and it race ready

I must say you have some impressive scratch builting skills!But being you work in large scale you kinda have to dont ya. :D

I used RC tires and wheels for the first two models I built 3 years ago and they are sort of close to the right size but it looks like an RC car when it's done. A sprint car and most all circle track cars, like I build have three or four different size tires so I had to figure a way to make them without buying a lathe. I go to Hoosier or Goodyear's web site and get the dia.,section and tread width for the tires I want to use. This works although it's time consuming; takes 6 days to make four tires and wheels. I build a frame and body in a week usually. Like anything, practice makes you better at it.

1cc0f5f6-4db4-43cb-8eed-29bd232ea085_zps

• 3 weeks later...