Model Cars Magazine Forum

Muffler clamps

crazyjim

You asked for it, so here it is. Muffler clamps made easy. This somewhat altered from the original tutorial from John Anspach at a Florida Auto & Scale Trucks (FAST) meeting.

004.jpg

These are the tools you'll need. Hole punch (I use a Micro-Mark unit), straight edge, scissors, X-Acto knife, single edge razor blade, 24 gauge wire. The clamp material is the easiest and cheapest - a pop can (or soda depending on where you live. Beer cans can probably be used too).

005.jpg

I use 12 gauge aluminum floral wire for exhaust pipes, 1/8" and 5/32" aluminum tubing for mufflers. Cut the can into 1/4" wide strips. At one end, cut a hole. It's easier to cut a hole and then use the scissors to cut half the hole away.

007.jpg

Cut another another hole and then 2 smaller holes for the wire to fit through.

008.jpg

Use the scissors to make another cut across the second hole and you end up with a part that looks likes this.

009.jpg

Use the razor blade and ruler to bend the clamp. This is my version of a PE bender.

010.jpg

After the bend, your clamp should look like this.

011.jpg

Second bend and this should be your result. The ruler I have is the perfect thickness to bend the clamps.

012.jpg

Cut a length of the 24 gauge wire and bend it around the muffler for the correct diameter.

013.jpg

And there it is, ready for installation.

015.jpg

Here they are installed on a '36 Ford I'm building. The end of the exhaust pipe with get another piece of aluminum tubing and more clamps after the fenders dry.

I suppose you could go really bananas and make nuts from some hex rod or use some aftermarket nuts.